Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:38 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,860,122 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/31/op...ml?ref=opinion

Quote:
In 2004, a New Yorker, Calvin James, 45, was separated from his partner and their young son and deported to Jamaica, where he hadn’t lived since he was 12, because of past convictions for selling drugs.
Quote:
The documentary “Sentenced Home” tells of Loeun Lun, who was brought to the United States at age 6. He served 11 months in jail for having fired a gun in a shopping mall (no one was hurt) when he was 19, but he turned his life around. Even so, he was deported in 2003, at the age of 27.
Quote:
But most are guilty of drug offenses, or misdemeanors like petty larceny, simple assault, drunken driving. Lifetime banishment is an inhumane and disproportionately harsh sentence, particularly for nonviolent drug offenses and crimes committed when the offenders were minors.

What vision of law justifies the deportation of those who have grown up, attended school and raised families in the United States? What purpose is served by permanently barring them from returning home, even for family visits?
What kind of society willingly hands out citizenship to foreign nationals who not only violate immigration laws but deal drugs and go around shooting off guns in a public place? It is not inhumane to ask criminals to leave. If they want to see their families their families can go home and visit them. Why the hell should we trust that such people won't come here again and ignore our laws again? You are not allowed the right to come here at all, let alone the right to stay.

This is ridiculous. Millions of Americans are either unemployed or underemployed and we're supposed to focus on meeting the needs of foreigners who ignore our immigration laws, deal drugs, drive drunk, physically assault others and steal things.

I think this article is honestly one of the dumbest and unbelieveably arrogant rants I've ever read. The mindset of the pro-illegal: as long as they don't murder or rape anyone it's unfair to deport them. And even then they'd probably argue that as long someone murdered or raped when they were under 35 they should still be allowed American citizenship.

Last edited by Eleanora1; 08-31-2012 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 07:42 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,818,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/31/op...ml?ref=opinion

What kind of society willingly hands out citizenship to foreign nationals who not only violate immigration laws but deal drugs and go around shooting off guns in a public place? It is not inhumane to ask criminals to leave. If they want to see their families their families can go home and visit them. Why the hell should we trust that such people won't come here again and ignore our laws again? You are not allowed the right to come here at all, let alone the right to stay.

This is ridiculous. Millions of Americans are either unemployed or underemployed and we're supposed to focus on meeting the needs of foreigners ignore our immigration laws, deal drugs, drive drunk, physically assault others and steal things.

I think this article is honestly one of the dumbest and unbelieveably arrogant rants I've ever read. The mindset of the pro-illegal: as long as they don't murder or rape anyone it's unfair to deport them. And even then they'd probably argue that as long someone murdered or raped when they were under 35 they should still be allowed American citizenship.
Agreed.

Uh; especially for crimes like DUI, assault and so on. We DON'T you illegals here.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:03 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,368,376 times
I third this emotion. I agree with both of you. It clearly shows us, that they are not thinking with a mindset, not a rationale one.

I cannot fantom meeting the needs of these people first, before meeting the needs of our own first.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:18 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,860,122 times
Related article:

A Stranger in His Homeland - NAM

Quote:
James got into dealing drugs as a youngster and eventually dropped out of high school. After talking his way out of several misdemeanor drug charges, he eventually did time in both New Jersey and New York for selling marijuana and cocaine.
What a moron! Why should a coke dealer be allowed to violate our immigration laws? He doesn't like Jamaica? Well gosh. Maybe he should have thought about the potential consequences before he turned to drugs here. People like him always think the laws don't apply to them. They think they're entitled to break as many American laws as they want and that Americans owe them multiple life chances when and if they finally decide to stop their criminal behavior.

The POV of this article is absolutely absurd.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 PM

20,098 posts, read 16,015,663 times
I wish sometimes that we could deport criminals that are citizens, so as you can imagine, I definately want criminal non-citizens gone. Most people go through life without ever being given more than a parking ticket, it's not like we are asking the impossible when we don't want them breaking laws.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:42 AM

105 posts, read 105,904 times
Quote:
Deportees to El Salvador (a country many had fled during the civil war of the 1980s) encountered discrimination because of their accents, style of dress and California gang-themed tattoos.
Awww, they get picked on for being in gangs, so we should keep them here???? Is that guy out of his mind????
Quote:
But law is not a one-size-fits-all enterprise. Discretion, as the jurist Felix Frankfurter noted, makes law enforcement more humane and more efficient.
Now THAT'S a liberal view if I ever heard one. We're supposed to be more humane to criminals. That makes me sick.
Quote:
Lifetime banishment is an inhumane and disproportionately harsh sentence, particularly for nonviolent drug offenses and crimes committed when the offenders were minors.
Must be we're supposed to want to keep drug offenses, and juvenile murder, rape, armed robbery, etc. criminals here because it would be INHUMANE to send them home to where they came from.
Quote:
The plight of the deportees is even further down on the legislative agenda, if it is there at all. And so the deportations go on.
Again, AWWWW, TOO BAD.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:47 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,818,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I wish sometimes that we could deport criminals that are citizens, so as you can imagine, I definately want criminal non-citizens gone. Most people go through life without ever being given more than a parking ticket, it's not like we are asking the impossible when we don't want them breaking laws.
Or maybe a traffic ticket. Those and parking tickets are "infractions"; pay them or go to court and the judge quashes them, that's the end unlike misdemeanors and felonies that stick around forever on a person's record.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:54 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,491,003 times
Quote:
But most are guilty of drug offenses, or misdemeanors like petty larceny, simple assault, drunken driving. Lifetime banishment is an inhumane and disproportionately harsh sentence, particularly for nonviolent drug offenses and crimes committed when the offenders were minors.
Inhumane? Give me a break. Why on earth do we need imported criminals in addition to our homegrown? Furthermore, a high percentage of juvenile offenders become adult offenders. This is asinine.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times
I agree with you guys; it's not cruel to deport criminals.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearly6 View Post

Awww, they get picked on for being in gangs, so we should keep them here???? Is that guy out of his mind???? Now THAT'S a liberal view if I ever heard one. We're supposed to be more humane to criminals. That makes me sick.
Must be we're supposed to want to keep drug offenses, and juvenile murder, rape, armed robbery, etc. criminals here because it would be INHUMANE to send them home to where they came from.Again, AWWWW, TOO BAD.
"Deportees to El Salvador (a country many had fled during the civil war of the 1980s) encountered discrimination because of their accents, style of dress and California gang-themed tattoos."

A California gang-themed tattoo is tied to their countries of origin so what's the problem? It's not as though they're getting images of George Washingon or Thomas Jefferson carved into their skin. They have their own country's flags, their own country's goddess -- Santa Muete, and other drug and crime symbols.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration