Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 03:32 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,736,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The number of immigrants and their children born in this country now stands at around 50 million. This according to Steven A. Camarota, director of research for the Center for Immigration Studies. That accounts for more than one-sixth of the U.S. population.
Immigration has dramatically increased the size of the U.S.'s low-income population adding even those immigrants living in the country for 20 years. Poverty, lack health insurance and abuse of welfare benefits far above the native-born American average.

The new statistics is a sharp rise from 9.6 million in 1970, although the immigrant share of the population, 12.9 percent, is lower than it was in 1910 — 14.7 percent. In the last decade alone, legal and illegal plus births to immigrants added 22.5 million residents, or 80 percent of the total U.S. population growth.
Anybody else think it's long past time for a moratorium?

Legal and illegal immigration hits all-time high - San Francisco Bay Area Moderate Conservative | Examiner.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 03:39 PM

42 posts, read 93,323 times
Should have been stopped, illegal and legal, 30 years ago.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:47 PM

63,004 posts, read 29,216,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
I just posted an article under another topic about the exploding birthrates in this country. White Americans are procreating at replacement levels not so with minorities. With our economy in the tubes and a shortage of jobs and resources and this population explosion perhaps it is time to decrease our annual quotas for immigration until we get back on track again. Immigration is good if it is done legally and in numbers we can reasonably support (and accounting for the possible new births from these immigrants) but not so with illegal immigration as they come in uncontrolled numbers along with their birthrates and just upsets the apple cart so to speak. A government can't operate well fiscally with all these unknown factors and in turn their own citizens suffer.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yldrosie View Post
Should have been stopped, illegal and legal, 30 years ago.
Or at the very least 20 years ago. We have become the dumping ground to the world's poor. I have read statements by people so ignorant that they think it is their right rather than a privilege to be here.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I just posted an article under another topic about the exploding birthrates in this country. White Americans are procreating at replacement levels not so with minorities. With our economy in the tubes and a shortage of jobs and resources and this population explosion perhaps it is time to decrease our annual quotas for immigration until we get back on track again. Immigration is good if it is done legally and in numbers we can reasonably support (and accounting for the possible new births from these immigrants) but not so with illegal immigration as they come in uncontrolled numbers along with their birthrates and just upsets the apple cart so to speak. A government can't operate well fiscally with all these unknown factors and in turn their own citizens suffer.
Agreed. About 10 years ago I began to feel like a stranger in my own country. It is uncomprehensible what those elected to office have deliberately allowed to happen to our country. It's bad enough living in the tower of babble, but having to pay for the maintenance of millions of useless people that compose said tower adds insult to injury.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:37 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,851,628 times
Quote:
I just posted an article under another topic about the exploding birthrates in this country...
Except the definitive organizations like the CDC totally contradict any notion of an "exploding birthrate" among populations in the United States...

Quote:
...White Americans are procreating at replacement levels not so with minorities. With our economy in the tubes and a shortage of jobs and resources and this population explosion perhaps it is time to decrease our annual quotas for immigration until we get back on track again. Immigration is good if it is done legally and in numbers we can reasonably support (and accounting for the possible new births from these immigrants) but not so with illegal immigration as they come in uncontrolled numbers along with their birthrates and just upsets the apple cart so to speak. A government can't operate well fiscally with all these unknown factors and in turn their own citizens suffer.
Along with data supporting that birthrates are down, immigration, legal and illegal, is also not at an "All Time High":

Quote:
The number of migrants coming to the United States each year, legally and illegally,
grew very rapidly starting in the mid-1990s, hit a peak at the end of the decade, and then
declined substantially after 2001. By 2004, the annual inflow of foreign-born persons was down
24% from its all-time high in 2000, according to the Pew Hispanic Center analysis of multiple
datasets collected by the Census Bureau and other government agencies.

The most recent high point for legal immigration was in 2009, at 1,130,818 new Legal Permanent Residents, but easily eclipsed by the true peak of around 1.8 million in 1989, and lower than a few other peaks since 1900. Children born here to immigrants are not "immigrants" themselves. This is not an illegal immigration topic.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:26 PM

63,004 posts, read 29,216,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Except the definitive organizations like the CDC totally contradict any notion of an "exploding birthrate" among populations in the United States...

Along with data supporting that birthrates are down, immigration, legal and illegal, is also not at an "All Time High":

The most recent high point for legal immigration was in 2009, at 1,130,818 new Legal Permanent Residents, but easily eclipsed by the true peak of around 1.8 million in 1989, and lower than a few other peaks since 1900. Children born here to immigrants are not "immigrants" themselves. This is not an illegal immigration topic.
No, it doesn't contradict. My article was a few years before the CDC one that you posted. At the time the article I posted was written there was an exploding Hispanic population growth. So if the trend is down according to the CDC "now" how is that a contradiction of what is was prior to that? Hispanics are still procreating faster than any other ethnic group even if it is less than a few years ago. Why can't you grasp that?

It is an illegal immigration topic because the birthrates also include those who gave birth in our country while being here illegally. I am tired of debating in circles with you so let's be done with it, ok?

Old 10-14-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
No, it doesn't contradict. My article was a few years before the CDC one that you posted. At the time the article I posted was written there was an exploding Hispanic population growth. So if the trend is down according to the CDC "now" how is that a contradiction of what is was prior to that? Hispanics are still procreating faster than any other ethnic group even if it is less than a few years ago. Why can't you grasp that?

It is an illegal immigration topic because the birthrates also include those who gave birth in our country while being here illegally. I am tired of debating in circles with you so let's be done with it, ok?
I'm game to say it is an illegal immigration topic if you believe more than half (50%+) of Hispanics within the United States today are illegal aliens and their direct (1st generation, but both parents have to be illegal aliens) descendents...

Old 10-14-2012, 11:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I'm game to say it is an illegal immigration topic if you believe more than half (50%+) of Hispanics within the United States today are illegal aliens and their direct (1st generation, but both parents have to be illegal aliens) descendents...
I suspect that's why 70% of "hispanics" want unlimited immigration from hispanic nations and have no immigration laws for those from hispanic nations.

It's too bad there's a lump-all term like "hispanics" which include newly arrived illegals, previously amnestied illegals, but also those who did everything the right way and came in work visas but also the term includes long time Americans whose families never immigrated.

Not too many "hispanics" have roots in this country before the 1950s. A large portion of them came to get in on the 1980s amnesty and it's been a flood coming over the border ever since.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I suspect that's why 70% of "hispanics" want unlimited immigration from hispanic nations and have no immigration laws for those from hispanic nations.

It's too bad there's a lump-all term like "hispanics" which include newly arrived illegals, previously amnestied illegals, but also those who did everything the right way and came in work visas but also the term includes long time Americans whose families never immigrated.

Not too many "hispanics" have roots in this country before the 1950s. A large portion of them came to get in on the 1980s amnesty and it's been a flood coming over the border ever since.
Nah, there's a good many (New Mexico Governor Suzanna Martinez and Journalist Ruben Navarrette among them) that are descended from those that fled the Mexican Revolution. Let's not forget that the terms of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo were to recognize those in the territory as U.S. citizens. Look through the 1940 Federal Census and earlier to find out your claim is all wet.

What percentage of Hispanics do you think are illegal aliens?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration