Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,852,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Mark Lyttle, an American citizen with mental disabilities who was wrongfully detained and deported to Mexico and forced to live on the streets and in prisons for months, settled his case against the federal government this week.
Compensation four years after his deportation horror story began...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 10-05-2012 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 PM

63,015 posts, read 29,223,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Myself and others in here probably remember this case. There is another side to this story about how this occured but the ACLU got involved so go figure.

Last edited by Oldglory; 10-05-2012 at 10:37 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Myself and others in here probably remember this case. There is another side to this story about how this occured but the ACLU got involved so go figure.
What was the other side?...

Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,578,536 times
Quote:
At least he was compensated. Four years? Please. Many citizens are wrongfully convicted and spend decades behind bars without ever receiving one penny. Some are even executed. What compensation can they receive?

Furthermore, why is this so newsworthy, especially considering the millions of bona fide illegal aliens who are never deported, and never will be? Obviously, our legal system is not foolproof. But, this is to be expected because human beings are not infallible.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Quote:
I think this is the guy who couldn't speak any English and claimed to be here illegally even though apparently he was an anchor baby here.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think this is the guy who couldn't speak any English and claimed to be here illegally even though apparently he was an anchor baby here.
I can't recall all of the details of this case and I searched for the original story but couldn't find it. I just remember that he led ICE to believe that his home was in Mexico and after further questioning it was determined that he was probably here illegally. Of course he was mentally handicapped and so both he and ICE were probably confused. From what I understand ICE did what they felt was the right thing to do with what information they had to work with. It's not as if there are many American citizens of Mexican ancestry have had this happen to them. This case was unique with the mental state of the deportee.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:00 PM

Here is much more background, he's not an "Anchor Baby"...

Old 10-08-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Here is much more background, he's not an "Anchor Baby"...
Even if he were he is still considered to be a U.S. citizen. As I said, there was much confusion in this case because of the man's mental state.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Even if he were he is still considered to be a U.S. citizen. As I said, there was much confusion in this case because of the man's mental state.
He has always been a U.S. citizen (born in the United States, and legally adopted by a U.S. citizen couple). We depend on our society to fully observe our rights and citizenship status even when we cannot ourselves (we aren't deporting Alzheimer patients wandering on the streets after all). The system failed Mark Lyttle, and the compensation (which also should have had a higher punitive amount) was for that.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
I hate to get all Big Brotherish, but a good first step towards avoiding this kind of mess in the future is a national ID card with biometrics. Just saying. They could have scanned the guy's index finger, matched him to a national ID in a database with his picture/vital stats in there, and known in a few minutes that they had made a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration