Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,614,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I agree. It makes no difference to me what race/ethnicity the illegal is my sentitments would still be the same. As you said, just because someone has served in our military they shouldn't be given special consideration for that.
We have former military serving time in prison for criminal offenses. Their former service certainly wasn't considered relevant. Why should it be relevant for illegal immigration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,863,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We have former military serving time in prison for criminal offenses. Their former service certainly wasn't considered relevant. Why should it be relevant for illegal immigration?
We have current military serving time in military prisons for criminal offenses. Their service is considered relevant (for prosecution under the UCMJ) in contrast to a civilian committing the same offense. Illegal alien spouses of Active Duty servicemembers can currently "Parole in Place" for adjudication on their lack of immigration status.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
We have current military serving time in military prisons for criminal offenses. Their service is considered relevant (for prosecution under the UCMJ) in contrast to a civilian committing the same offense. Illegal alien spouses of Active Duty servicemembers can currently "Parole in Place" for adjudication on their lack of immigration status.
I didn't mention "current" military personnel, did I? Former military are treated the same as any other civilian. When they commit criminal offenses, they are tried in either state or federal court, and they serve time in the same prisons as any other citizen. Likewise, "former" military service should not be a factor in the decision to grant legal status to an illegal alien spouse. As far as I'm concerned, nor should current military status.

But, you still haven't explained why race/ethnicity should be considered relevant.

Last edited by Benicar; 02-25-2013 at 08:20 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I didn't mention "current" military personnel, did I? Former military are treated the same as any other civilian. When they commit criminal offenses, they are tried in either state or federal court, and they serve time in the same prisons as any other citizen...
Not necessarily, former military can be recalled to Active Duty, and charged under the UCMJ. We had a sailor discharged for drug addiction, when he was caught committing burglary to support his habit afterwards, they pulled him back in. Ultimately he ended up breaking rocks at Leavenworth, when a civilian sentence would have been two years or less.

Quote:
...Likewise, "former" military service should not be a factor in the decision to grant legal status to an illegal alien spouse. As far as I'm concerned, nor should current military status...
Former-Marine Perez should have been able to "Parole in Place" his wife, and ended up using an I-601 waiver like any other citizen is capable of. Visa (and VWP) overstays are able to adjust status within the United States when married to a U.S. citizen, just like the illegal alien spouse of a U.S. servicemember. In this specific case, news coverage made more difference in the end (just like it did for Lauren Gray) than his military service.

Quote:
...But, you still haven't explained why race/ethnicity should be considered relevant.
I'm commenting that it seems to be a regular reaction (even after the fact, as Diana Blanco de la O has her legal residency now) if it is a Hispanic immigrant spouse, members like "malamute" and others remark that the couple should relocate to the immigrant's home country. Diana would lose her residency (and thus an ability to naturalize later) if outside the United States for more than a year, it appears pointed to having her lose that status. I am bringing up a contrast of Lauren Gray, and asking if members think she and a would-be American husband should be told to relocate to England.

Generically labeling an ethnicity that "malamute" focuses on as having "Green Card marriages" is very spiteful, all I am doing is calling out on that observation. Diana Blanco de la O is now a Legal Permanent Resident, with the most recent comments aware of that fact. On this forum, many members talk about following immigration law, but when there are provisions for an illegal immigrant to become a Legal Resident, there is a resistance to accepting that part of the law.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 AM

63,444 posts, read 29,458,968 times
Quote:
Not necessarily, former military can be recalled to Active Duty, and charged under the UCMJ. We had a sailor discharged for drug addiction, when he was caught committing burglary to support his habit afterwards, they pulled him back in. Ultimately he ended up breaking rocks at Leavenworth, when a civilian sentence would have been two years or less.

Former-Marine Perez should have been able to "Parole in Place" his wife, and ended up using an I-601 waiver like any other citizen is capable of. Visa (and VWP) overstays are able to adjust status within the United States when married to a U.S. citizen, just like the illegal alien spouse of a U.S. servicemember. In this specific case, news coverage made more difference in the end (just like it did for Lauren Gray) than his military service.

I'm commenting that it seems to be a regular reaction (even after the fact, as Diana Blanco de la O has her legal residency now) if it is a Hispanic immigrant spouse, members like "malamute" and others remark that the couple should relocate to the immigrant's home country. Diana would lose her residency (and thus an ability to naturalize later) if outside the United States for more than a year, it appears pointed to having her lose that status. I am bringing up a contrast of Lauren Gray, and asking if members think she and a would-be American husband should be told to relocate to England.

Generically labeling an ethnicity that "malamute" focuses on as having "Green Card marriages" is very spiteful, all I am doing is calling out on that observation. Diana Blanco de la O is now a Legal Permanent Resident, with the most recent comments aware of that fact. On this forum, many members talk about following immigration law, but when there are provisions for an illegal immigrant to become a Legal Resident, there is a resistance to accepting that part of the law.
I don't recall malamute or any other anti-illegal immigration members in here not wanting all illegal immigrants to be bound by the same laws regardless of their ethnicity. I don't like any illegal immigrant being able to adjust their status within our borders even when married to a U.S. citizen and have stated as such. If you didn't have such a victim mentality for Hispanics you would absorb what is actually being said rather than your pre-conceived notions.

Don't we as U.S. citizens have a right to disagree with a law? Just as long as we don't break them or advocate for others to break them and be rewarded for doing so that is our right. Can you say the same for the defenders and supporters of illegal immigants?

Last edited by Oldglory; 02-26-2013 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Your sailor story seems a bit farfetched. First, which discharge did the sailor receive? Was it administrative or punitive? Given his drug addiction and theft, it is highly unlikely he received an administrative discharge. Rather, he would have received either a "bad conduct" or "dishonorable" discharge. Under those circumstances, the Navy would not "pull him back in" as you claim. Second, we are not discussing "current" military personnel, or those relieved of duty, and then reinstated, are we? Last, why are you trying to deflect, rather than discuss this particular case which does NOT involve current military personnel?

Quote:
Without being privy to the particulars of his case, what qualifies you to make such a judgment call? How do you know what he "should have been able" to do?

Quote:
My opinion has never been determined by the race, ethnicity, or national origin of an illegal alien. Nor am I aware of "malamute" or any regular poster using such criteria as the basis for their stance regarding immigration decisions. Admittedly, it is possible I missed those comments. So, would you mind proving your point by quoting someone to illustrate a clear prejudice against a particular race, ethnicity, or nationality? In other words, please quote where a regular poster favored allowing an illegal alien from England, Ireland, France, Germany, China, or any non-Hispanic region of the world, while opposing the same treatment for those from Mexico or a Latin American country. If it is a "regular reaction" as you claim, I would think it would be very easy to substantiate.

As you know, I was married to a legal immigrant who entered this country on a student visa. Had he not been able to remain in this country legally, we would not have hesitated to arrange for my relocation to Argentina. In my opinion, that is what couples who truly love each other are willing to do. However, it appears that marriages involving U.S. citizens and illegal aliens are only viable within the borders of this country. If they truly love each other, why can't they move to the illegal aliens' country if he/she cannot remain here? Why is life in the U.S. always their only option? After all, we aren't talking about couples being exiled to Siberia.

Quote:
It is a fact that the vast majority of illegal aliens are Mexican. There are also countless documented cases of "scam" marriages involving Mexicans. Should that be considered an indication that every marriage between a citizen and Mexican illegal alien is fraudulent? Of course not! However, given the prevalence of this practice, it is only human nature (not spite) to be somewhat suspect of those marriages. In fact, if you visit the Dreamie forum, you will see threads devoted to "Green Card Marriages." Many have stated if they cannot gain legal status through the passage of the Dream Act or CIR, marriage to a citizen will be their "Plan B."

According to the law, illegal immigration is a deportable offense. However, under this administration in particular, our laws are being ignored. In fact, Obama has issued directives to grant deferred action to one group, and has eliminated the requirement to return to their country of origin to apply for adjustment of status for another group. Naturally, those opposed to illegal immigration would resist those actions, instead preferring to have our laws enforced as written. I'm not sure why you find this objectionable, or would be the least bit surprised. Don't you, as a supporter of illegal aliens, consistently favor all measures that legalize their status?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Your sailor story seems a bit farfetched. First, which discharge did the sailor receive? Was it administrative or punitive? Given his drug addiction and theft, it is highly unlikely he received an administrative discharge. Rather, he would have received either a "bad conduct" or "dishonorable" discharge. Under those circumstances, the Navy would not "pull him back in" as you claim...
I'm following through with further comments, to put this off-topic area to rest, and then we can move on. He had a Bad Conduct Discharge. Since I was in the same command at the time of his discharge, I and others of the unit were called in on his hearing for the thefts he committed afterwards. His lawyer wisely pleaded, and nobody was called as a character reference.

I actually felt he was a fine sailor when not under the influence of drugs (I meant to list the sentence he received before, which was nine years labor)...

This is a specific incident I witnessed firsthand, not any hearsay, by what perspective are you doubting how I have related it?...

Quote:
...Without being privy to the particulars of his case, what qualifies you to make such a judgment call? How do you know what he "should have been able" to do?...
Perez was an Active Duty Marine at the time he talked to USCIS representatives, with the "Parole in Place" program operational at the time...

Quote:
...My opinion has never been determined by the race, ethnicity, or national origin of an illegal alien. Nor am I aware of "malamute" or any regular poster using such criteria as the basis for their stance regarding immigration decisions. Admittedly, it is possible I missed those comments. So, would you mind proving your point by quoting someone to illustrate a clear prejudice against a particular race, ethnicity, or nationality? In other words, please quote where a regular poster favored allowing an illegal alien from England, Ireland, France, Germany, China, or any non-Hispanic region of the world, while opposing the same treatment for those from Mexico or a Latin American country. If it is a "regular reaction" as you claim, I would think it would be very easy to substantiate...
For your ethnicity, you know that there can be a tangible level to how people act and what they say to give an indication of how they think. Despite the numbers of Hispanic illegal aliens, topics come up here more focused on ethnicity rather than immigration status. How often do we hear of the Visa Waiver Program being used fraudulently, where foreign national spouses are admitted to adjust status in the United States without ever petitioning for any relevant visa, and other legal immigrants are "waiting in line outside the United States" not provided that same opportunity?

Quote:
...As you know, I was married to a legal immigrant who entered this country on a student visa. Had he not been able to remain in this country legally, we would not have hesitated to arrange for my relocation to Argentina. In my opinion, that is what couples who truly love each other are willing to do. However, it appears that marriages involving U.S. citizens and illegal aliens are only viable within the borders of this country. If they truly love each other, why can't they move to the illegal aliens' country if he/she cannot remain here? Why is life in the U.S. always their only option? After all, we aren't talking about couples being exiled to Siberia...
It isn't just illegal aliens in relationships that "malamute" calls "Green Card marriages", it is also legal immigrants (including on this topic, when it is now known that Diana is a Legal Permanent Resident) like you and I have (had) for spouses. He seems to focus on a specific ethnicity on this forum, and is very vocal to the family-related and sponsorship requirements to legal immigration. Illegal aliens have no sponsorship abilities, so his complaints about "chain migration" aren't referencing anything but legal immigration.

You (and others) haven't been observant enough to see that?...

Quote:
It is a fact that the vast majority of illegal aliens are Mexican. There are also countless documented cases of "scam" marriages involving Mexicans. Should that be considered an indication that every marriage between a citizen and Mexican illegal alien is fraudulent? Of course not! However, given the prevalence of this practice, it is only human nature (not spite) to be somewhat suspect of those marriages. In fact, if you visit the Dreamie forum, you will see threads devoted to "Green Card Marriages." Many have stated if they cannot gain legal status through the passage of the Dream Act or CIR, marriage to a citizen will be their "Plan B."...
As your challenge above, it should be easy for you to find numerous examples of such cases as reference. I bristle at your alluding Mexican Nationals have much higher rates of sham marriages with U.S. citizens than other nationalities. Would you think that someone could reasonably feel your statements were against Mexican legal immigrants that were married to U.S. citizens as well?

Quote:
...According to the law, illegal immigration is a deportable offense. However, under this administration in particular, our laws are being ignored. In fact, Obama has issued directives to grant deferred action to one group, and has eliminated the requirement to return to their country of origin to apply for adjustment of status for another group. Naturally, those opposed to illegal immigration would resist those actions, instead preferring to have our laws enforced as written. I'm not sure why you find this objectionable, or would be the least bit surprised...
In this example (an I-601) and others, I've shown that many of these policies and programs have existed long before the Obama administration. Somehow people are missing the point that immigration law is also laid out for circumstances where an illegal alien can legalize through their U.S. citizen spouse (this very topic). The "law" has made Diana Blanco de la O into a Legal Permanent Resident, and likely she will be able to naturalize to U.S. citizenship in as soon as three years.

Any relevance of her once being an illegal alien is gone. I believe she is in as legitimate of marriage as mine is. At what point does the snide remarks that she and her husband should go live in Mexico end?

Does you bias of thinking that Mexicans marrying U.S. citizens are more likely to be a sham mean that you would support such comments? Does Lauren Gray seem less likely to have a sham marriage (she came from England at age 4, Diana Blanco de la O was brought at age 9) with a U.S. citizen later on that she would not be told to "go back to England with your husband"? It is perceptions to how these questions would truthfully be answered to make my statements on prejudice.

Quote:
...Don't you, as a supporter of illegal aliens, consistently favor all measures that legalize their status?
My short answer, provided the incorrect titling, is to say "no"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration