U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:21 AM

13,860 posts, read 24,611,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnbreze View Post
I am confused. Why would a Mexican citizen feel they should have a right to say anything about US gov't issues? The bigger issue is why isn't Mexico looking to create opportunities for their country so their citizens wouldn't want to come to the US illegally?

Start a debate on how Mexico can keep residents by creating your own opportunities for its people to have a better quality of life. Then those who would still like to come to the US, can arrive legally with pride.
Good Luck--good posted question.
Autumn
So, why can't you propose that as how the Mexican folks could help in a debate about eliminating illegal immigration?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 11:22 AM

8,973 posts, read 15,330,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
What do you think people? should we Mexican citizens become more involved in this debate and contribute with ideas?

Please don't get confused, I'm not talking about immigrants here but of mexican citizens, those of us who live in Mexico, pay taxes, respect laws, care about our home and want something done to keep improving it.

I think that thanks to us things are much better than 30 years ago, and they will keep getting better, I guess most of us worry about this immigration issue and I don't think it is be wise to give a blind eye to it and pretend nothing is happening, but what to do?

please share your thoughts, let's try to have a constructive, civilized debate with more head than gut.

Respect!
This is a brave thought, and one not often heard. Off the top of my head, I'd say it would take much more personal bravery for a Mexican citizen to get involved in this than for an American, largely due to the two nations' differing cultures. Mexican culture has far more a sense of ethnic solidarity than modern-day America has. There's more of a feeling of "family". An attack, or a criticism, against any aspect of Mexican life is seen as an attack on Mexicans.
In the US, by contrast, the sense of solidarity is very low. Americans feel little sense that we are a "family". We often loudly and viciously attack our fellow citizens without feeling like we're being disloyal Americans. In fact, one of the consistent ideas of the most strident voices against illegal immigration here in the US, is that we Americans "ought to realize we are being invaded". Somehow, though, few Americans see this as a true invasion, simply because we don't see ourselves as a united group with any sort of a common cause.

It is a worthy idea, though, and hopefully as Mexico modernizes, Mexicans will come more and more to view themselves as individuals, rather than "Mexicans", and will feel free to criticize government policies without seeing themselves as being disloyal to their country.

Good thread, Travelling Fella.....

Old 10-14-2007, 01:05 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,953,071 times
No, Mexican citizens should not get involved because illegal immigration is America's problem. Mexican citizens in Mexico have done the right thing morally by staying in their own country. The two Mexican presidents have tried to get Mexican citizens involved and tried to tell America what to do, but they are wrong, and Mexicans should try next time to get a moral president that helps his people in Mexico and is not intent on breaking American laws in order to get Mexico's 2nd biggest source of income.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:49 PM

3,905 posts, read 6,454,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
No, Mexican citizens should not get involved because illegal immigration is America's problem. Mexican citizens in Mexico have done the right thing morally by staying in their own country. The two Mexican presidents have tried to get Mexican citizens involved and tried to tell America what to do, but they are wrong, and Mexicans should try next time to get a moral president that helps his people in Mexico and is not intent on breaking American laws in order to get Mexico's 2nd biggest source of income.
Very well put Faith! Nice to see you here today too.:-)

Old 10-14-2007, 07:35 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,953,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Very well put Faith! Nice to see you here today too.:-)
Thanks, nice to see you too....one of the good guys here.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:04 PM

13,860 posts, read 24,611,570 times
All of the posters here are "good guys," we just have some different points of view.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:58 PM

658 posts, read 2,271,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
What do you think people? should we Mexican citizens become more involved in this debate and contribute with ideas?

Please don't get confused, I'm not talking about immigrants here but of mexican citizens, those of us who live in Mexico, pay taxes, respect laws, care about our home and want something done to keep improving it.

I think that thanks to us things are much better than 30 years ago, and they will keep getting better, I guess most of us worry about this immigration issue and I don't think it is be wise to give a blind eye to it and pretend nothing is happening, but what to do?

please share your thoughts, let's try to have a constructive, civilized debate with more head than gut.

Respect!
yes i think they should they actually did the work to be able to live in this country instead of just deciding it was owed to them

Old 10-15-2007, 04:16 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,443,171 times
Being a legal Mexican citizen of the United States, I try to share my opinion on the immigration issue. But where I draw the line is joining those marches. I will not combat against my own American people.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:08 PM

21,146 posts, read 38,548,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Being a legal Mexican citizen of the United States, I try to share my opinion on the immigration issue. But where I draw the line is joining those marches. I will not combat against my own American people.
Mexican? I think not; unless you have dual citizenship-------you are just as American as me (I was born in Wash DC)!

Old 10-15-2007, 06:17 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,443,171 times
I'm in the process of becoming a Mexican citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or