U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:32 AM

47,531 posts, read 63,161,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
however imho some legal controlled migration is required and desirable between Mexico and the United states, we have lots of american immigrants here too, Mexico's the country that has the biggest amount of americans living abroad but it is way easier to immigrate to Mexico being american than to Immigrate to America being mexican, so I guess something could be done to create more chances for would be migrants of both countries to do it legally, safely and orderly, but that's just my humble opinion.
Correction -- it is easier for an educated American with needed job skills to immigrate to Mexico than it is for impoverished Mexicans to immigrate legally to the USA. Maybe.

I highly doubt that we could clean out our impoverished inner cities by sending those people to Mexico. Mexico would NOT allow impoverished Americans to legally move into Mexico and it would not allow them to remain there illegally and not even giving birth at Mexican taxpayer expense and expecting to get Mexican government assistance for those anchor babies would allow them to remain in Mexico.

As far as Mexican professionals and educated types -- I think they have it pretty easy as far as legal immigration. The USA has far more legal immigrants than any other country in the world. Mexico has far fewer. If it is really easier for an American to immigrate legally to Mexico than a Mexican professional to immigrate legally to the USA it might be because we also have millions of people from everywhere in the world trying to come to the USA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 09:34 AM

47,531 posts, read 63,161,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
I recently watched "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee". Kind of a bad movie, but, it certainly reminded me of just how badly we treated the Native Americans. If ANYBODY in this country has the right to be angry, it is the Native Americans. I mean, the U.S. govt laced their blankets with smallpox, for gods sake!
They were a people who didn't enforce their borders or immigration laws. In fact -- they didn't have any immigration laws. That's what happens to people who allow open borders.

Just because the Indians did it that way doesn't mean we should. And our fate will be the same as theirs if we don't do better for ourselves.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:11 PM

41 posts, read 137,319 times
The one thing we must remind ourselves of is not to demonize a people that is looking for work and when found, do so in the shadow of society at a wage no American will accept.
Hiring them is putting downward pressure on union wages and taking work away from Americans in especially the blue collar jobs.
When it comes time to vote, PLEASE, cast your vote and push the government officials to implement and enforce the laws on the books already by making employers responsible in their hiring of verifiable US citizens.
NO anchor babies to get US citizenship automatically, IMHO.
Prop. 187 for me.
Take away the incentives and have the other countries take care of their own!

I was a maintenance employee, having retired since but am VERY concerned about the implications illegals have on the job prospects for young Americans without higher education.

We, as US citizens, must resist hiring cheap illegal laborers, including nannies and house cleaners otherwise we become part of the problem.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:22 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,685,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewvdt View Post
The one thing we must remind ourselves of is not to demonize a people that is looking for work and when found, do so in the shadow of society at a wage no American will accept.
I don't choose to demonize anyone. I have worked with illegals since the 70s, and I don't hate any of them. However, when I see group behavior such as the various protests, and when I hear the rhetoric of ethno-centric interest groups, I tend to see such people as members of these groups. To me, the marches and rhetoric are anti-American and insulting. I see the illegal "cause" as demonizing me, my country and my fellow Americans. I cannot help but react in a negative manner to this phenomenon. I would be much more accepting if a group of illegals and/or their supporters came out and apologized for their behavior rather than giving us the finger.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:47 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,864,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
What do you think people? should we Mexican citizens become more involved in this debate and contribute with ideas?

Please don't get confused, I'm not talking about immigrants here but of mexican citizens, those of us who live in Mexico, pay taxes, respect laws, care about our home and want something done to keep improving it.

I think that thanks to us things are much better than 30 years ago, and they will keep getting better, I guess most of us worry about this immigration issue and I don't think it is be wise to give a blind eye to it and pretend nothing is happening, but what to do?

please share your thoughts, let's try to have a constructive, civilized debate with more head than gut.

Respect!
I feel Mexican citizens should get more involved in this debate and contribute by all means
sassy

Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 PM

21,146 posts, read 38,548,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I feel Mexican citizens should get more involved in this debate and contribute by all means
sassy
Such being the case: American citizens (of all races/ethnicities) should get involved in Mexico's business as well------in particular, the latter country's way of handling its illegal immigrant problem

Old 02-18-2008, 09:09 PM

41 posts, read 137,319 times
The Mexican government should adopt the American system of mandatory schooling, welfare, section 8 housing, free medical care, anchor babies and foreigners to be able to buy property ANYWHERE and that includes the illegals coming from their south border.
Maybe Pres. Calderon would be receptive? Sure.
Just a thought.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:36 PM

21,146 posts, read 38,548,559 times
Quote:
The Mexican government should adopt the American system of mandatory schooling, welfare, section 8 housing, free medical care, anchor babies and foreigners to be able to buy property ANYWHERE and that includes the illegals coming from their south border.
Just a thought.
Priceless

Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 AM

407 posts, read 743,616 times
Quote:
Just a thought.
That is so good! Mexico hates their Mestizos and has every intention of sending the majority to our country to demographically take over the country. That has been what this has been all about in the first place.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:24 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,443,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
That is so good! Mexico hates their Mestizos and has every intention of sending the majority to our country to demographically take over the country. That has been what this has been all about in the first place.
Huh? Mestizos in Mexico are about the same ratio as Whites in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or