U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:45 PM

140 posts, read 99,245 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al5Fwmowc8k
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 02:54 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,204,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmith View Post
The illegal aliens are living in a squatter's camp. There are no sanitary facilities. The 'homes' would not meet even the most lax codes. Why is this going on? This poses a health hazard to everyone in the surrounding communities.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:21 PM

140 posts, read 99,245 times
I remember a few years ago there was a huge effort in Las Vegas to get the homeless people out of Las Vegas. Mayer Oscar Goodman was offering free bus tickets to Salt Lake (I think) until the officials in that city got wind of what he was doing and started raising hell. His next suggestion was to round them all up and send them to Indian Springs which is north of Las Vegas. I guess there is a prison there that is no longer in use. The Mayors plan was to let the homeless stay there in the prison. Not sure how they were expected to eat, bath, etc. What really upset me about this is that (at least at the time) most of these people were American citizens and the biggest majority is typically disabled Vietnam veterans who are now mentally disabled. What a way to treat American veterans! Naturally the ACLU got involved and the Mayer slinked back into his office licking his wounds.
Now the homeless demographic has changed entirely. Now it is predominantly illegal immigrants. They camp along the highways and near Lowe’s, Home Depots, Landscaping Supply, etc. What’s weird is that the homeless Americans chose the worst areas of town to camp in while the illegal immigrants will make camp anywhere! Many of these nurseries are in very nice affluent areas.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:18 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,375,013 times
Looks like South Africa.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:21 PM

13,997 posts, read 25,822,541 times
Interesting story, it "connected" a few links about how they live and where they work.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:36 PM

26,198 posts, read 38,923,945 times
Alexandria, VA meet your future

Old 10-20-2007, 05:52 PM

21,144 posts, read 40,254,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Alexandria, VA meet your future
Come on down to Arizona then: the illegals are definitely thinning out in fear of the impending Employer Sanctions Law

Even if said law gets declared unconstitutional; precedent has been that Az is not a good place for illegals.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:19 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,081,573 times
Guys I'll be totally honest with you I'm totally confused!!
I don't know what to think... The only thing that I know for sure is that we are facing a tough problem and I understand stsmith's concern, maybe getting the law enforced as they do in AZ is the right way to go, if it is I'll support it.

Let me share an story about Mexico's city everydays life, here we had been invaded for years by street merchants.

they don't pay any taxes, steal the energy and water from the streets, and they molest women or harass citizens who supposedly have the right to free transit, and they force formal business who PAY TAXES and create jobs to go bankrupt because they simply can compete with people who don't have to pay taxes or for the water and energy they use. A law was enacted on 1993 to stop this practice but it had never been enforced because of the existance of Mafias who protect this people, they charge them a fee of about 20 pesos everyday to "protect" them from the authorities a lot of these mafias were created by political parties that needed to have customers that would keep voting for them in exchange, most of what these people sells are pirated, stolen or counterfeited goods.

Then Marcelo Ebrard, Mexico's city mayor had the courage to actually do something, first he dismantled a lot of gangs and seized their properties, like 40 buildings were expropriated because they were nothing more than rat's nests, these buildings were transformed into shopping centers for the merchants to sell their stuff legally, paying taxes and only original stuff, he said that every street merchant who didn't comply from now on would loose the chances of having a place at the new shopping centers, 15,000 street merchants complied!!! and finally Mexico's city's downtown was free again for tourists to come or citizens to enjoy it, they created an special police force to stop new would be street merchants invasions and they placed surveilance cameras all around downtown, you can still see some toreros (people who tries to sell as most as possible before being arrested) but their numbers are thinning, if caught once they are just taken to the police station and they get a caution, if they do it for 3 times then they can be arrested for 35 hours.

you know what's the worst thing??? that these toreros have cars to race away when police is coming OMG are they really that poor? how come they can afford cars then? we are right now fighting a war here, between respect for laws and corruption and it is a tough one!

I supported what Marcelo did and if the enforcement of the immigration laws in America would work i'd support it too, I still think something has to be done with those illegals who are already in America though, and something has to be done to keep them from immigrating ilegally I don't know what would be a good solution though

any suggestions?

Last edited by Travelling fella; 10-20-2007 at 06:30 PM..

Old 10-21-2007, 01:12 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,098,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Come on down to Arizona then: the illegals are definitely thinning out in fear of the impending Employer Sanctions Law

Even if said law gets declared unconstitutional; precedent has been that Az is not a good place for illegals.
ArizonaBear, I respectfully disagree with you. I do not feel the "law" will make much of a difference.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:37 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,673,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
ArizonaBear, I respectfully disagree with you. I do not feel the "law" will make much of a difference.
Correct, just how "the law" isn't keeping illegals from coming here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration