Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:08 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,721,047 times

Advertisements

Maybe we need Illegals to enlist in the Armed Forces as a way to become legal? I know the army is giving big bonus checks right now to join
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 04:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,199,429 times
Something is seriously wrong when gay citizens are not allowed into the Armed Forces but people who have broken the law and are foreigners are recruited.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:55 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,251,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Something is seriously wrong when gay citizens are not allowed into the Armed Forces but people who have broken the law and are foreigners are recruited.
They're not, neither is welcome in any of the Military Services.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:32 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,074,947 times
AZ, I know you weren't just sitting on your butt and eating cheetos, but you weren't allowed to work. I've known people in the same situation, and thought to myself how ridiculous it was. These people could've been out there working, paying taxes, and firing the economic engines of our country were it not for the stupid immigration laws making it hard for law-abiding immigrants to work while they wait for the red tape to get untangled.

My point is that 80% of the people who are allowed to immigrate to today's US are a very specific bunch: They are married/engaged to a US permanent resident, or the children or relatives of one. They are also comparitively wealthy; needing only one spouse to be working to stay above the federal poverty line. To say that all immigrants need to follow your example would mean that the only immigrants would be ones marrying into upper-middle-class citizenship. This seems foolish and exclusive to me.

As Macmeal points out: what is the point of our immigration system? Is it to do what is "right" or to benefit ourselves? I think it should be a mixture of both. We should do what is "right" by allowing IMMEDIATE RELATIVES of US permanent residents ONLY (no sisters/brothers/aunts/uncles/grandparents) to immigrate. We should do what is best for our country by offering a significant number of green cards--a % of the total US population not to exceed 0.5% per year, that is tied to unemployment--to immigrants who can find employment and keep themselves and their family paying taxes into the system and above the poverty line. This would need to be coupled with sealed borders and rigorous tracking of student/visitor visas.

I think this sort of immigration policy will help expand the economy and keep families together, mitigate the illegal immigration and undervalued labor problem.

Last edited by sponger42; 10-24-2007 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Added a "the"

Old 10-24-2007, 05:50 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,090,997 times
Well, here's a bit from me on legal immigration. My husband came to the USA from the UK on a fiance visa in 1992. We got married in September and he could not work (so he thought). Unfortunately there is no British welcome wagon to point English people (or other English speakers) to where to get help for employment, social services, and so on. (Others who will not be named) seem to know where to go straight away (even as illegals) to hook themselves up with welfare or housing (move in with 10 other friends?), or where to find work (legally or not).

It's funny how 'without connections' even legal immigrants are lost as to where to apply for permission to work (green card) or just basic living information. The law is not clear and you are NOT often rewarded for following it.

Even "English speakers" like the OP and my husband can be displaced in the USA from lack of 'information.'

Old 10-24-2007, 07:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,239,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZaussie View Post
I moved to the US from Australia (legally), when I arrived I was not allowed to work - so I didn't. I couldn't open a bank account - so I didn't.
I couldn't get a drivers licence - so I didn't drive. Initally it was not easy but then again no one said it would be.
It would have been much easier to just drive anyway without insurance, get a fake social and open an account and get a job that paid cash in hand. Or maybe just pop out a kid and use that as an excuse to get a free ride without worrying about how I was going to be able to raise it.
Yet illegals do this on a daily basis like it's an entitlement!
The complete lack of integrity these people show is reason enough they should be sent packing.
These are merely my observations from living in Phoenix.

I'm with America in saying 'Adios' to illegals!
Just out of curiosity, happy fellow AZ Aussie, what would you have done if you didn't have the means to support yourself all these months...?! I can guarantee you that the majority of this cheerful crowd applauding you here would go bankrupt if they didn't have a job for that long (speaking for individuals - being part of a couple helps, provided the other part is employed ).

Don't get me wrong.... I've absolutely nothing against you. As a matter of fact I'm foreign-born myself.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:47 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,571,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
Maybe we need Illegals to enlist in the Armed Forces as a way to become legal? I know the army is giving big bonus checks right now to join
I recall that many Filipinos used to join the US Navy---they agreed to serve one 4-year hitch as "Stewards", after which they got their citizenship and if they wanted to stay in the Navy, they could get out of the Steward's Dept. and learn another specialty.
I don't know why or when this was stopped, but it was the case back in the 1960's (Vietnam War years)....and the Navy had a substantial Filipino presence---some of whom served until retirement.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:00 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,074,947 times
Can anyone cite successful examples of recent legal immigration that were not marriage-or-family-based?

Can anyone cite successful examples of recent immigration that were not the result of L1 company transfers or (from the vanishingly-small pool of) H1 advanced technical degree (indentured servant) visas?

Last edited by sponger42; 10-24-2007 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: Added "legal"

Old 10-24-2007, 08:06 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,239,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Can anyone cite successful examples of recent legal immigration that were not marriage-or-family-based?

Can anyone cite successful examples of recent immigration that were not the result of L1 company transfers or (from the vanishingly-small pool of) H1 advanced technical degree (indentured servant) visas?
Well, these are about the only ways, short of investing don't remember how many million dollars... Oh, yeah, and having "exceptional" talent, expertise, etc. in some area, which makes you extremely valuable.

Last edited by sierraAZ; 10-24-2007 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-24-2007, 08:40 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,721,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I recall that many Filipinos used to join the US Navy---they agreed to serve one 4-year hitch as "Stewards", after which they got their citizenship and if they wanted to stay in the Navy, they could get out of the Steward's Dept. and learn another specialty.
I don't know why or when this was stopped, but it was the case back in the 1960's (Vietnam War years)....and the Navy had a substantial Filipino presence---some of whom served until retirement.

I think it maybe because after 92' the US Navy and Airforce bases in the Philippines were closed. My cousin was one of those that joined the navy to get his Citizenship. Heck it payed very decent and he got medical care and gave him more opportunity than living in the poor area where he was at with no opportunity. He served 20 years in the Navy BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration