U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 11:12 AM

9,241 posts, read 8,241,817 times

Advertisements

Comparing a driver’s license design for illegal aliens (who are free to run up and down the streets protesting) to Jews branded/forced to wear the Juden Star of David (while being marched off to work/death camps) in Nazi Germany, is despicable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 AM

24,567 posts, read 37,906,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Comparing a driver’s license design for illegal aliens (who are free to run up and down the streets protesting) to Jews branded/forced to wear the Juden Star of David (while being marched off to work/death camps) in Nazi Germany, is despicable.
As the granddaughter of Holocaust survivors, I couldn't agree more.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:13 PM

1,901 posts, read 2,385,387 times
“I think creating the licenses is a visible statement that immigrants are different from the rest of us,” she said. “It sets a dangerous precedent and opens the door to racial profiling and discrimination.”

This jumped out at me because of the omission of the vital word "Illegal" in front of the word immigrants. Yes, Illegal Immigrants are different from the rest of us, they were not invited here, they are not citizens and have no lawful status. They do, however, have legal status to be here. For now.

I think this is a good idea. One quick look and one would know they are dealing with a legal illegal alien. Sorry, but giving them legal status does not change the fact that they are illegal aliens.

I like PINK... reminds me of Sheriff Joe and Maricopa County. (Not that I ever wore those pretty pink undies. I lived in AZ and saw them in person many times though. )

Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 PM

9,241 posts, read 8,241,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
“I think creating the licenses is a visible statement that immigrants are different from the rest of us,” she said. “It sets a dangerous precedent and opens the door to racial profiling and discrimination.”

This jumped out at me because of the omission of the vital word "Illegal" in front of the word immigrants. Yes, Illegal Immigrants are different from the rest of us, they were not invited here, they are not citizens and have no lawful status. They do, however, have legal status to be here. For now.

I think this is a good idea. One quick look and one would know they are dealing with a legal illegal alien. Sorry, but giving them legal status does not change the fact that they are illegal aliens.

I like PINK... reminds me of Sheriff Joe and Maricopa County. (Not that I ever wore those pretty pink undies. I lived in AZ and saw them in person many times though. )
Very good point.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,579,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
the comparison was limited to the branding, not treatment or outcome. while being marched off...is your addition not theirs.

I dont agree with the anology, but have to say the comparison went only as far as branding.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:08 PM

2,475 posts, read 1,970,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post

You have that backwards, DACA recipients have a lawful status, they don't have a legal status. A lawful status still doesn't guarantee them the privilege of driving or of obtaining a drivers license.

The whole of the article is incorrect to begin with. DACA recipients have a lawful status not a legal status. The author of the article and even the Gov of North Carolina are incorrect.
Quote:
Gov. Pat McCrory, who signed off on the licenses, has said he thought it was important that the driver’s licenses for immigrants clearly distinguish “between legal presence versus legal status.”
McCrory said he wanted to make sure the licenses were granted but also ensure that they clearly differed in appearance from other licenses issued by the state to prevent misuse.
[LEFT]
Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
[/LEFT]

Old 03-01-2013, 04:27 PM

19,894 posts, read 17,623,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
As the granddaughter of Holocaust survivors, I couldn't agree more.

I also could not agree with you more. And i do know some people who would defferentiate between the two.

I find it distasteful.

Don't know how to feel about this. Knowing it was an illegal driver who ran over and left for dead a friend we know riding his motorcycle. The drunken motorist, hit him, dragged him for miles, before this friend ended up in the street. Horrified witnesses looked on in terror.

He fled the scene. This friend today, has plates everywhere you can think of in his body. One messed up dude, alive no doubt, but messed up for ever. So i am on the fence on this. His head was injured badly, and he also has a plate in his head. To hit someone as this scumbag did, and then flee the scene, is despicable.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 AM

20,524 posts, read 14,972,688 times
Like I said before: NO illegal alien in the US should have ANY sort of US ID. Tho if those crooks DO get a DL: it should say "Illegal Alien" right on it. I'm def Ok with making it nasty for illegals in the US, maybe they'd go home then. Sheesh!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:48 AM

22,689 posts, read 13,744,588 times
I don't get this stuff at all!

Here's why:

If I attempt to cross the border illegally by making a false statement at the border entry point such as not answering correctly the question "have you ever been arrested?" I am denied entry and put on a list of personna-no-grata to ever be allowed entrance. If I am refused entry for any reason the Border Agent deems applicable such as evasive answering of questions, I'm on that list regardless.

You will note I did not state the question thusly: "Have you ever been convicted of a crime"? REGARDLESS of actual conviction or not, if I have ever been detained for something such as a DUI or questioning in relation to a crime which I was found NOT GUILTY of, I still must answer yes to the question of "arrest".

If I answer incorrectly and am refused entry, then I must complete an appeal process that clears up the matter of me just incorrectly answering a question. A long and convoluted process indeed.

If I have been convicted of a minor crime, I can apply for the "deemed rehabilitated" card and must wait a period of five years for that to kick in as you cannot be deemed rehabilitated unless a period of time for such redemption to take place has passed. I must then also show that card for the rest of my life of crossing your border and will be allowed entry solely at the discretion of the individual agents. Lose the card and the 5 year process commences anew.

If I am caught in your country illegally for whatever reason such as a visa over-stay I will be summarily deported and forever refused entry from that point on.

Now how does this compute with commission of a crime demonstrated by entering your country illegally and subsequently being allowed to drive a car, have a job, perhaps even collect some benefits and being granted amnesty to simply carry on?

I don't get this preferential treatment towards those illegal entrants from your southern exposure at all.

Oh, did I mention I was a Canadian.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 AM

25,085 posts, read 13,322,313 times
I wonder if the scum$#@$ would ever have the nerve to protest south of the border... Must feel pretty safe and exalted here in the good ol USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration