Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:36 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times

Advertisements

Bottom line once again...the gang of 8 made promises to whom? promises to the anti-immigrant crowd that hate and never supported this legislation?

If you don't like this proposed legislation, then nominate a cadidate with some balls next time.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:38 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Being a smart*ss now? Get back with us when you use perfect grammar 100% of the time and your beloved ethnic group does also. There is no need for these kinds of personal attacks in here. Warning you also.

Fine, if these elderly immigrants are guaranteed financial support in all ways including healthcare coverage by their families here I don't have a problem with them migrating here then. From what I understand though many times the family doesn't follow through with it once their immigrant is here and they become wards of the government instead.
Quite possibly they don't have the mental capacity to cover the grounds of the terms. I'm not talking about the older ones either. Do we lower the bar for those that offer nothing but a need for care? Is that what we want flooding the in door?

Old 04-28-2013, 08:38 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
What is with people trying to make citizenship some kind of emotional relationship? Why should anybody be required to love any country?

What business is it of yours what language anyone speaks amongst themselves? And why would you care? Don't you have any real problems to get yourself into a tizzy about?
Why move here if you don't love our country and want to be a part of our society? FYI, Mexicans in particular are all emotional about their country. Many of them waving Mexican flags and marching in our streets. Loving one's country isn't just something that Amercans feel. It's the way that most citizens feel about their countries. Sorry that you don't feel that way.

It's about not assimilating into our society out in mainsteam. It is rude and disrespectful. I don't care what language someone chooses to speak in the privacy of their homes. Where I live I hear more Spanish being spoken than English. I feel like I am living in Mexico. Why should a native English not feel at home in his own country? Spanish not the language of this country nor are we a Hispanic country in identity. It is a problem when we are having this unnatural transformation to our country vial illegal immigration. Sad that you're ok with that.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Quite possibly they don't have the mental capacity to cover the grounds of the terms. I'm not talking about the older ones either. Do we lower the bar for those that offer nothing but a need for care? Is that what we want flooding the in door?
Well according to some if we don't want to accept the poor, uneducated, unskilled, the elderly who in many cases would be a burden to us and illegal immigrants we are racist, bigots and anti-"immigration".

Old 04-28-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Bottom line once again...the gang of 8 made promises to whom? promises to the anti-immigrant crowd that hate and never supported this legislation?

If you don't like this proposed legislation, then nominate a cadidate with some balls next time.
There is no anti-"immigrant" crowd. Why do you keep repeating that lie over and over? Hate? What does hate have to do with wanting our immigration laws respected and enforced and not desiring to amnesty millions of illegal immigrants with 23 million Americans out of work? Since the 1986 amnesty we have at least quaduple the number of illegal immigrants today. When do these amnesties stop?

Old 04-28-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimac View Post
English is the UNOFFICIAL language of North America, you have, AFAIAA, NO OFFICIAL language. Moreover almost all immigrants to the US have at one time or another been accused of not wanting to assimilate by speaking English, do some research.

English is the national de facto language of the USA. Deal with it! I don't care what happened in the past. I just see what is going on today. Some assimilate and some do not. When you have immigrants coming from mostly one ethnic group that is not a good formula for assimilation but colonization instead. The immigrants of the past came from many different countries all with different languages and cultures. We have gotten away from diversity and that is a big mistake, IMO.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:48 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post

anti illegal....

Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
MOST of the so-called "enforcement" portion of the Immigration Reform will just be window dressing. It will initially be meekly enforced.....then just fade into nothingness.

Another nail in this Country's coffin.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yes, French is dominant in some parts. I speak French, so it's not a problem. I also speak English, Russian, Spanish and Polish. What's your point?
Learning doesn't hurt.
I'm not saying Americans should be forced to speak Spanish, but the concept of "Why should I learn another language" is pretty stupid.
I think we may have a bit of a misunderstanding here. Learning another language because you want to in order to broaden your horizons or to travel is one thing what (at least for me) sets my teeth on edge is being told I have to learn another language (Spanish) to live in my own country which since the country was founded the language was english.

I wouldn't presume to move to oh, say France and demand they speak english or Mexico or Spain or China, (you get the idea I hope) not to mention you're probably able to guess the reaction from the locals that I'd get.

I wonder how many of these other countries print everything in 30 different languages or how many of the stores advertise or label their products in more than the "home" language to accommodate people moving there? I'd venture that it's very few if any at all (other than us).

In fact, if memory serves France had a big to-do not to long ago about requiring French be the only language used for most things. If I remember correctly it was because many felt they were losing their identity as a nation because other languages were creeping in (primarily English).
That's exactly what's starting to happen in the U.S. in my opinion.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think we may have a bit of a misunderstanding here. Learning another language because you want to in order to broaden your horizons or to travel is one thing what (at least for me) sets my teeth on edge is being told I have to learn another language (Spanish) to live in my own country which since the country was founded the language was english.

I wouldn't presume to move to oh, say France and demand they speak english or Mexico or Spain or China, (you get the idea I hope) not to mention you're probably able to guess the reaction from the locals that I'd get.

I wonder how many of these other countries print everything in 30 different languages or how many of the stores advertise or label their products in more than the "home" language to accommodate people moving there? I'd venture that it's very few if any at all (other than us).

In fact, if memory serves France had a big to-do not to long ago about requiring French be the only language used for most things. If I remember correctly it was because many felt they were losing their identity as a nation because other languages were creeping in (primarily English).
That's exactly what's starting to happen in the U.S. in my opinion.
Thank you! Excellent and truthful post. A voice of reason in a sea of anti-American sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration