Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 04:05 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,078,036 times

Advertisements

...or are they more more interested in creating a bogeyman?

There are many threads where posters vastly overstate the number of illegal immigrants, their growth rates, and the effect that they are having on American culture with the whole "people don't speak English anymore." (Why am I typing in English then?)

It seems to me, that if we're really interested in quelling illegal immigration, we should be celebrating that illegal immigration rates have slowed dramatically and quite possibly have reversed. We should be celebrating que la mayoría de los estadounidenses hablan inglés (or need Google Translate.) We should be happy that even if amnesty ever happened (which I'm against) that it's only 11 million new Democrats and not 75 million.

But nobody seems to be focusing on this. It's easier just to hate on illegal immigrants.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:09 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,900,927 times
I want to stop illegal immigration because they are here ILLEGALLY and very often take jobs from Americans and take welfare. It doesn't matter what race they are or what language they speak because the fact is we can't afford more uneducated people here. I have nothing against people of Mexican descent, in fact my boyfriend is half Mexican. I have nothing against people who come here for a better life, work hard and learn English like in the past. However that just isn't happening now.

So yes I want those who came here illegally to be deported. The fact they came here ILLEGALLY is why.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post

There are many threads where posters vastly overstate the number of illegal immigrants, their growth rates, and the effect that they are having on American culture with the whole "people don't speak English anymore." (Why am I typing in English then?)

It seems to me, that if we're really interested in quelling illegal immigration, we should be celebrating that illegal immigration rates have slowed dramatically and quite possibly have reversed. We should be celebrating que la mayoría de los estadounidenses hablan inglés (or need Google Translate.) We should be happy that even if amnesty ever happened (which I'm against) that it's only 11 million new Democrats and not 75 million.

But nobody seems to be focusing on this. It's easier just to hate on illegal immigrants.
Apprehensions at the border are up 13% so far this year.
And we don't have more agents..we have more trying to cross.
DHS has told us the numbers have decreased but they will not release their metrics to Congress who have asked for them while debating the amnesty bill.

Illegal border crossings leap ahead of immigration bill - Washington Times

Old 05-20-2013, 04:21 PM

63,007 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:

I am sick of the labels of being a hater. Objection to illegal immigration is not hate. It's the same old ethnocentric lies (as long as you are talking about lies). How do you know what their actual impact is on our society? Have you researched all the viable sites about it? Somehow I doubt it and you probably wouldn't believe them anyway.

Just because you can read, write and speak English is no indication that most illegals do. I don't know what you point was in posting a sentence in Spanish, however.

There is no bogeyman being created. Illegal immigration is against the law! No, illegal immigration hasn't slowed dramatically. In fact since Obama is promising amnesty the numbers have tripled coming through our borders.

CBS: Illegals Entering US Triple With Talk of Immigration Reform

Old 05-20-2013, 04:24 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,900,927 times
Btw in fact I can speak Spanish. However I shouldn't have to for a job or to apply for welfare (if this applied to me but am not on welfare)or to speak to people who refuse to learn English.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:28 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,650,308 times
Quote:

Yes, I want the border closed and all those that are here illegally deported to the country where they are citizens. Period. I guess I am just a law and order person. Have you watched the news lately? You can tell by the names of the people that they probably were not born here. Who wants to live in the third world country these people are making America?

I will celebrate with you when the criminals are gone. Anyone here illegally is a criminal and I don't care how they got here or how old they were when they came. I didn't do it so don't blame me because getting back to law and order may separate some families. It's their fault for doing wrong. Citizens in America should not be blamed for the wrongdoing of the illegals. How many of our families have been separated by the crimes of these people? How much have our children suffered because we are having to give them less because we are paying taxes to support those that should not be here?

Last edited by NCN; 05-20-2013 at 04:38 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 04:30 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,584,043 times
On the emotional side:

I am an immigrant myself, legal immigrant. I spent $10K on my immigration process not including lost job opportunities. Just the raw cost. I was on a super fast track and it took me 5 years. In the meantime, I was paying American taxes and hiring American workers.

I can't imagine what the life would be for those who aren't on the fast track. They, some I know, have to endure 10+ years of family separation and lost career opportunities to just get a green card.

Not to say life is all fair and square but for those 11 million, which when the whole thing started was 17 million and given they underestimated last time in a ration of 1:3, I would peg this at 33-51 million, it's not just a slap on the face for us who are here legally. It makes the whole immigration process into a farce!

On the logical side:

You, Americans, are screwing yourselves. The only people who will be benefited from granting amnesty are:
1. Democrats, at least 75% of the illegals will vote for them.
2. The rich, they get vast amount of cheap labor for decades.

The rest of you, the 99%, will get screwed royally!!! Given we have 25 million Americans out of job today, once you add those 33-51 million illegals into the labor market, you are never going to find a job, EVER!!!

The middle class, we all need to fork out more money to pay for their welfare, of course.

I do not see how anybody can tell me, in good conscience, this is good for America.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:36 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,078,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I am sick of the labels of being a hater. Objection to illegal immigration is not hate. It's the same old ethnocentric lies (as long as you are talking about lies). How do you know what their actual impact is on our society? Have you researched all the viable sites about it? Somehow I doubt it and you probably wouldn't believe them anyway.

Just because you can read, write and speak English is no indication that most illegals do. I don't know what you point was in posting a sentence in Spanish, however.

There is no bogeyman being created. Illegal immigration is against the law! No, illegal immigration hasn't slowed dramatically. In fact since Obama is promising amnesty the numbers have tripled coming through our borders.

CBS: Illegals Entering US Triple With Talk of Immigration Reform
I'm not sure the responders have gotten my point.

I am against illegal immigration in all phases. Illegal immigrants should be deported (I might be willing to make exceptions for children who were brought here, but otherwise no.) Businesses that employ illegal immigrants should be punished. In fact, it seems crazy to me how anybody could support illegal immigration.

The problem I have is that when people drastically overstate illegal immigrants' numbers or effects on society, it goes from opposing illegal immigration to spreading distortions. That's where I have the issue.

Plus, for most of you guys, it means a lot less Democrats if amnesty passes.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:57 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,461,596 times
Quote:

you want to us to celebrate that illegal immigrants are still coming across the border just not as many as a few years ago?

Old 05-20-2013, 04:57 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,921 times
Answer: No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.