Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:18 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times

Advertisements

Speaking on the phone from New York last Friday night, Mr Morrison revealed the Taoiseach's thinking on the matter when asked how hopeful he and Mr Cowen were that there would be a resolution to the emotive question of the undocumented Irish in America. He said: "It's more than an emotive subject. It is very much a humanitarian problem.

Cowen wants illegal Irish to leave the US - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

What part of illegal don't they understand? This is NOT a "humanitarian problem", it's about people thumbing their noses at American laws. Ireland is by no means poverty stricken. They have plenty of jobs and means of taking care of their own. These people are stealing jobs and suppressing the wages, of American IT professionals.

We can NOT be the world's savior, especially at the expense of the livelihood and survival of our own people and our way of life.

Send 'em home NOW!~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 11:39 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
I worked as a contract interpreter - translator for the DoJ for many years. In 1988 I was assigned to the INS. At that time the Irish illegals were a big problem in the Chicago area where I was based. Chicago is the third largest Irish city in the world. The Irish were difficult to track because they spoke English well and the Irish-American community sheltered them. They usually made their living in construction so we often raided construction sites worked by Irish-American companies. It was a difficult task to be sure BUT

Today the Irish illegal problem is non-problem because almost all them have gone home by they own accord. Why? Because you can make as good a living today in Ireland as you can here or anywhere. The US GDP is at $46,000 are year and we are NINTH in the world right next to us is Ireland at $45,600. Illegal Irish? Just about as much of a problem, no even less in actual numbers than illegal Americans in the UK or France or Spain etc.

Of course the majority of Americans are surprised as hell to find out that there are illegal Americans in the world and a lot of them. Of course it is naive to think that we are perfect and do not live in other countries illegally, commit crimes and are often part of the nuisance of the illegal alien problem in other countries. There are many reasons why this condition exists but here's one example. An ESL teacher at a city college adult ed program in Chicago makes about $20 an hour. In the EU that person can make double that easy and under the table w/o paying any taxes.

Hundreds of deported American illegals arrive at US airports weekly. Part of a "Deportation Officer's" function is to pick them up at the air port and confiscate their passports. They are not charged with any crime (for the most part) but they are not allowed a passport until they have paid their fare back to the government. It is your tax dollar that brings them home. Don't believe me? Call you local ICE office and if someone there has time they'll give you an earful. Wake up people and smell reality. This is not the heaven it was in the 1950s. America and Americans have changed. Worry about those illegal countrymen of ours who are using your tax dollar because of their negligence and lack of consideration for their fellow countrymen and the nation's already severely damaged reputation.. Illegal Irish, sheeesh...

Recent World GDP Chart (there are more but this is enough)
http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?c=sa&v=67

Old 07-21-2008, 11:48 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I worked as a contract interpreter - translator for the DoJ for many years. In 1988 I was assigned to the INS. At that time the Irish illegals were a big problem in the Chicago area where I was based. Chicago is the third largest Irish city in the world. The Irish were difficult to track because they spoke English well and the Irish-American community sheltered them. They usually made their living in construction so we often raided construction sites worked by Irish-American companies. It was a difficult task to be sure BUT

Today the Irish illegal problem is non-problem because almost all them have gone home by they own accord. Why? Because you can make as good a living today in Ireland as you can here or anywhere. The US GDP is at $46,000 are year and we are NINTH in the world right next to us is Ireland at $45,600. Illegal Irish? Just about as much of a problem, no even less in actual numbers than illegal Americans in the UK or France or Spain etc.

there are illegal Americans in the world and a lot of them. Of course it is naive to think that we are perfect and do not live in other countries illegally, commit crimes and are often part of the nuisance of the illegal alien problem in other countries. There are many reasons why this condition exists but here's one example. An ESL teacher at a city college adult ed program in Chicago makes about $20 an hour. In the EU that person can make double that easy and under the table w/o paying any taxes.

Hundreds of deported American illegals arrive at US airports weekly. Part of a "Deportation Officer's" function is to pick them up at the air port and confiscate their passports. They are not charged with any crime (for the most part) but they are not allowed a passport until they have paid their fare back to the government. It is your tax dollar that brings them home. Don't believe me? Call you local ICE office and if someone there has time they'll give you an earful. Wake up people and smell reality. This is not the heaven it was in the 1950s. America and Americans have changed. Worry about those illegal countrymen of ours who are using your tax dollar because of their negligence and lack of consideration for their fellow countrymen and the nation's already severely damaged reputation.. Illegal Irish, sheeesh...
If there are no Irish illegals here then how come a few months back a representative of the Boston Catholic church wrote an editorial in the Boston Herald calling for amnesty for "undocumented Irish"? Also how come a few months back there was an article in the "Irish Echo" calling for amnesty-excuse me-"comprehensive immigration reform" for illegal Irish here in the US?

Old 07-21-2008, 11:54 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
If there are no Irish illegals here then how come a few months back a representative of the Boston Catholic church wrote an editorial in the Boston Herald calling for amnesty for "undocumented Irish". Also how come a few months back there was an article in the "Irish Echo" calling for amnesty-excuse me-"comprehensive immigration reform" for illegal Irish here in the US?
Just like the illegal Americans in the UK except there is no English American organization to plead the cases of a few. If you don't believe what I have written call you local ICE office and if they have time between processing illegal Chinese and homecoming illegal Americans maybe they'll explain it to you. Or just go on blowing smoke in your own eyes if it makes you feel better or superior. That's your right. Call ICE these things rarely make Google unless you've got lots of time to waste.

BTW the Basques in the Pacific Northwest even have a similar organization as the Irish Americans and how many Irish illegals are there being protected by "Irish Echo"? That organization is local to Boston.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Just like the illegal Americans in the UK except there is no English American organization to plead the cases of a few. If you don't believe what I have written call you local ICE office and if they have time between processing illegal Chinese and homecoming illegal Americans maybe they'll explain it to you. Or just go on blowing smoke in your own eyes if it makes you feel better or superior. That's your right. Call ICE these things rarely make Google unless you've got lots of time to waste.
I guess you don't have an answer to my question? I guess you would rather throw insults.

Sorry but I find it hard to believe that ICE is overburdened by processing llegal alien Americans deported from other countries as your post implies. Gee maybe that is the reason there are 20-30 million illegals here, ICE is spending all it's time on Chinese illegals and illegal alien Americans deported from other countries

Old 07-21-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:

BTW the Basques in the Pacific Northwest even have a similar organization as the Irish Americans and how many Irish illegals are there being protected by "Irish Echo"? That organization is local to Boston.

The Irish Echo is a newspaper out of NYC not a local Boston organization.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:05 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
I am an Irish-American whose parents were born in Ireland and I say send all the Irish illegal immigrants back to Ireland immediately!

Old 07-21-2008, 12:41 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I guess you don't have an answer to my question? I guess you would rather throw insults.

Sorry but I find it hard to believe that ICE is overburdened by processing llegal alien Americans deported from other countries as your post implies. Gee maybe that is the reason there are 20-30 million illegals here, ICE is spending all it's time on Chinese illegals and illegal alien Americans deported from other countries
You miss the point. The illegal-Irish problem is one so insignificant and small that it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
You miss the point. The illegal-Irish problem is one so insignificant and small that it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Not an insignificant amount to me-an illegal is an illegal is an illegal. I don't care where they come from. One illegal is one too many for me.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:03 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:

Of course the majority of Americans are surprised as hell to find out that there are illegal Americans in the world and a lot of them. Of course it is naive to think that we are perfect and do not live in other countries illegally, commit crimes and are often part of the nuisance of the illegal alien problem in other countries. There are many reasons why this condition exists but here's one example. An ESL teacher at a city college adult ed program in Chicago makes about $20 an hour. In the EU that person can make double that easy and under the table w/o paying any taxes.

Recent World GDP Chart (there are more but this is enough)
GDP - per capita (PPP) - Country Comparison
Very interesting up close and personal insight to a very real problem. I work in Chicago and have family and friends who live there and am very aware of the problem with Irish illegals overstaying their Visas.

As for American (illegal aliens) they are no better than than those who have invaded America and refuse to leave.

Thank you for your insight with regard to this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration