Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 03:49 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,374,266 times

Advertisements

For pro and anti illegals, this is a good read.

Do We Want Mexifornia? by Victor Davis Hanson, City Journal Spring 2002
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 06:03 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times
Quote:
How did the old assimilationist model work? Brutally and effectively. In our grammar schools during the 1950s and 1960s, no Spanish was to be spoken on the playground—officially at least. Groups of four and larger were not allowed to congregate at recess. When we were caught fighting, nontraditional kicking instead of the accepted punching earned four, rather than two, spankings. A rather tough Americanism in class was rammed down our throats—biographies of Teddy Roosevelt, stories about Lou Gehrig, a repertory of a dozen or so patriotic songs, recitations from Longfellow, and demonstrations of how to fold the flag. “Manners” and “civics” were taught each week, with weird lessons about not appearing “loud” in public or wearing glittery or showy clothes, and especially not staring down strangers or giving people the “hard look” with the intent of “being unpleasant.” Our teachers were at times insufferable in their condescension as they disclosed the formula for “making it in America”—but make it in America the vast majority of these immigrants did.
Guess what? Cruel as it may have been; such 'sink or swim' assimilation overall was/is better than this 'multi-cultural' BS of today.

And; I can attest to that, many of you know that I, to am first generation US born American-------and, my childhood in many regards flat sucked due in part to the (weak) cultural pull of being part Hungarian heritage.

Oh well; sucked to be me.

In all fairness though; my biggest 'bugbear' was having to deal with a paranoid schizophrenic bio 'mother'-------which had little or nothing to do with being of recent foreign stock.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,155,757 times
Outstanding article...I can't disagree with any of it.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:40 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,510,792 times
And now they have spread way beyond their stronghold of California. What shall we call it now? Mexiamerica?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:06 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,465,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
And now they have spread way beyond their stronghold of California. What shall we call it now? Mexiamerica?
I'm glad you mentioned that - having been born and raised in So Cal, attending school with many Mexican kids (among others of course) and living in multi-racial neighborhoods, I was under the impression that this was "normal" as I was growing up. We really were a "melting pot", and despite our different languages and customs, we as kids in school got along pretty well.

That's why I scratch my head when people in other parts of the country make comments about how the influx of different people in their community affects them, as if this were some strange new species of bird that had hitherto been unknown. We lived this, so I guess what I'm trying to say is that in LA we are far more tolerant of these differences. We've been quite the "live and let live" zone of the US for as long as I can remember.

Recently, however, the balance has tipped, and it seems like there are more "differences" we have to deal with than before, which is starting to draw the lines in our communities. Drugs, gangs, graffiti, trash strewn everywhere, the in-your-face attitude, the death stares - these weren't among the "differences" we Californians had originally bargained for. The city of Maywood, for those who haven't heard of it, is an example of what I mean when I say that this isn't what we bargained for.

Here is a link to an article describing Maywood for anyone who wants to know what I'm talking about:

Town offers illegal immigrants a sanctuary - Telegraph

Check out the lovely photos City Data has for this fine town:

Maywood, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 11-14-2007, 11:16 AM

1,511 posts, read 979,702 times
if it became mexifornia, we'd have to change the names of cities like sacramento, san francisco, san diego, los angeles, etc. to spanish names! oh, wait...

Old 11-14-2007, 11:27 AM

273 posts, read 249,799 times
Illegals are not welcome here and will no no longer gets work here.
But we'll name our American cities whatever we want and shove it in there face as a reminder they are not citizens.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:11 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,569,595 times
Hanson has been a voice in this situation for some time. Lots of wisdom in what he says. His analysis of the assimilation--(or lack of it)....is very close to what I've mentioned in many posts...I've called it almost a "hazing" process, whereby immigrants arriving in America were PUSHED into assimilating, under strong social pressures. Assimlation involved effort, and those who succeeded could feel rightfully proud of their accomplishment.

I still maintain that this is the only way ANYBODY can be expected to assimilate into ANYTHING. Whether it's a new apprentice learning a trade, a new cadet at West Point, a new Doctor spending time as an intern, or a new arrival into America, the fact is that the ONLY way to participate fully in the "new" life is to learn about it, adapt and assimilate....and the only way to do that efficiently, is to see it as the only practical option, if one plans to stay here.

When assimilation becomes merely an elective, optional goal---(OK if you want to, but equally OK if you don't)--then nobody's going to make the effort. Some people see this as an exciting, colorful, multiculturalism.....I see it as a dangerously fragmented, dis-united society, and one that won't hold together under stress. And that's the way we're headed at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration