Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:42 PM

10,250 posts, read 15,962,115 times

Advertisements

My parents are LEGAL Asian immigrants and I am a native-born American. My parents and myself are very opposed to illegal immigration, and so was every town that we have lived in. My family did everything the way they were supposed to and has never depended on the government for anything. They waited in line and got their visas, then green cards, and then citizenship. It would be completely unfair to them for Obozo to pass Dream Acts and amnesty bills that allow illegals to jump in line in front of them, to get the benefits of US citizenship without going through what my parents went through and having to wait their turn. Having kids in the US and working here does not change these peoples illegality and the need to punish them. I have yet to hear one logical argument from a liberal or Democrat on how its fair to LEGAL immigrants for illegal aliens to get the Dream Act or amnesty. I also do not have any extended family or relatives here who are illegal.

If the media is to be believed, however, the majority of Hispanic Americans including legal ones, including Cubans and Puerto Ricans, support illegal immigration and politicians must support illegal immigration in order to get the Hispanic vote. Is this out of racial solidarity, with the Hispanic voters putting their race and skin color before the good of the nation, and either the interests of their native country or their racial group before that of the United States? I also know a disappointing number of Asian Americans and legal African immigrants who support illegal immigration, who tell me they would not report someone they know is illegal. Some black people also compare the illegal alien movement to the civil rights movement, as if our current immigration laws are the same as Jim Crow laws (I wonder if this means they believe every single person in the world should be able to come to America without any restrictions and we should have completely open borders). Now some states have drivers licenses for illegals, and

Its also not true that illegals don't take jobs from Americans or legal immigrants. I know LEGAL immigrants and US citizens who do housekeeping and construction and those livelihoods have been negatively impacted.

As a minority and an American I am very disappointed and troubled by this trend, and it vindicates those who question the national loyalty of minority groups. I personally am an American first and support what best for my country overall. I think American interests should always come before anyone's race and anyone's country of origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 08:51 PM

63,032 posts, read 29,235,885 times
I totally agree with your last sentence. My people are the American people as a whole not just white people like myself. I would never approve of illegal immigration from whites just because they are racially like myself. That would make me an ethnocentric, racist if I thought whites should be above our immigration laws and rewarded for breaking them. My loyalty lays with my country and its collective citizens not white foreigners here illegally.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:52 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,927,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
My parents are LEGAL Asian immigrants and I am a native-born American. My parents and myself are very opposed to illegal immigration, and so was every town that we have lived in. My family did everything the way they were supposed to and has never depended on the government for anything. They waited in line and got their visas, then green cards, and then citizenship. It would be completely unfair to them for Obozo to pass Dream Acts and amnesty bills that allow illegals to jump in line in front of them, to get the benefits of US citizenship without going through what my parents went through and having to wait their turn. Having kids in the US and working here does not change these peoples illegality and the need to punish them. I have yet to hear one logical argument from a liberal or Democrat on how its fair to LEGAL immigrants for illegal aliens to get the Dream Act or amnesty. I also do not have any extended family or relatives here who are illegal.

If the media is to be believed, however, the majority of Hispanic Americans including legal ones, including Cubans and Puerto Ricans, support illegal immigration and politicians must support illegal immigration in order to get the Hispanic vote. Is this out of racial solidarity, with the Hispanic voters putting their race and skin color before the good of the nation, and either the interests of their native country or their racial group before that of the United States? I also know a disappointing number of Asian Americans and legal African immigrants who support illegal immigration, who tell me they would not report someone they know is illegal. Some black people also compare the illegal alien movement to the civil rights movement, as if our current immigration laws are the same as Jim Crow laws (I wonder if this means they believe every single person in the world should be able to come to America without any restrictions and we should have completely open borders). Now some states have drivers licenses for illegals, and

Its also not true that illegals don't take jobs from Americans or legal immigrants. I know LEGAL immigrants and US citizens who do housekeeping and construction and those livelihoods have been negatively impacted.

As a minority and an American I am very disappointed and troubled by this trend, and it vindicates those who question the national loyalty of minority groups. I personally am an American first and support what best for my country overall. I think American interests should always come before anyone's race and anyone's country of origin.
Agreed and it's real sad and makes me madder than hell why so many of the "groups" you mentioned want to hold "their culture" ABOVE being American.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:10 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,678,669 times
Quote:

The media is trying to sell illegal immigration to the public for support but most Americans are against it. Its a terrible written law like the healthcare law. We don't need it.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:01 PM

A lot of Americans who live in areas without lots of illegals actually fall for the media narrative of the illegal who just wants a better life. Its actually people who live near illegal aliens or who have had to compete with illegal aliens for jobs that are against it.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:50 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,245,441 times
The irony of course is those who complain about being stereotyped as illegals the most also happen to be the ones pushing for an amnesty the most.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
A lot of Americans who live in areas without lots of illegals actually fall for the media narrative of the illegal who just wants a better life. Its actually people who live near illegal aliens or who have had to compete with illegal aliens for jobs that are against it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The irony of course is those who complain about being stereotyped as illegals the most also happen to be the ones pushing for an amnesty the most.
I agree.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,331,801 times
My grandparents were accepted as refugees/asylum seekers during the terrible era of Jewish persecution leading up to and during World War II. We are eternally grateful to the US for saving their lives and we support keeping doors open for genuine refugees/asylum seekers, but even my ancestors requested PERMISSION to migrate here under circumstances that...literally...threatened their lives.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My grandparents were accepted as refugees/asylum seekers during the terrible era of Jewish persecution leading up to and during World War II. We are eternally grateful to the US for saving their lives and we support keeping doors open for genuine refugees/asylum seekers, but even my ancestors requested PERMISSION to migrate here under circumstances that...literally...threatened their lives.
Agreed tho I'd look the other way IF some illegal aliens in the US were in REAL danger back home, like the Jews during WW2. OTOH: people sneaking out of Mexico to avoid the drug gangs doesn't fly with me since most of Mexico is pretty safe for its citizens.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:40 PM

If a country was truly dangerous or repressive then the US typically grants refugee status and sometimes even helps resettle them. I have no problem with Cubans automatically being legal, and I do think its reasonable that the US is helping refugees from war torn countries like Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, and Syria. When Saddam Hussein was in power in Iraq we accepted a lot of political asylum applicants. North Korea and Iran too.

However economic migrants should only be allowed as our economy requires it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration