U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 03:45 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,627,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I think it's a teen culture thing and maybe even moreso a poverty thing. At my high school, it was generally the white girls in the trailer parks who got pregnant- some at remarkably young ages.
In my high school it was the Hispanic and black girls having babies. The white girls got abortions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 03:48 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,588,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
In my high school it was the Hispanic and black girls having babies. The white girls got abortions.
Most Hispanics are catholics, therefore their parents are against abortion.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:49 PM

9,963 posts, read 17,296,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Bingo. It is not even spoken of by my mother.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:52 PM

14,108 posts, read 19,066,359 times
Quote:
I'm sure there were abortions but, even though it was over 10 years ago, the bombings of Atlanta abortion clinics are still relatively fresh in people's minds. That and it's an overwhelmingly Southern Baptist area- abortions are a bigger no no than premarital sex. The rich girls probably did get abortions that no one heard about but that certainly didn't happen with the poorer ones. I'll never forget giving a freshman girl a ride home my senior year in which she confided in me that she was pregnant with her second child. Dropped her off at her single wide trailer that she shared with her mom to see the door pop open and a toddler come running out to greet her. She was deeply religious and never would have considered abortion (and I had sneaking suspicions that she was being sexually abused) and probably could not have afforded it anyway.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:59 PM

21,146 posts, read 39,615,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I completely agree with you Mach. There's not a person of this world of any culture or race that is less capable than any other if given the same opportunities when it most counts.
I agree with both of you guys----------it is definitely socio-economic, not race/ehnicity related.

Look at the Anglo Whites from Appalachia; especially about 50 years ago--------they were quote similar to the lower class people from any Latin American country in many, many regards. Heck; the Irish not so terribly long ago in Ireland were perceived to be trash-------both the 'Celtic' Irish Catholics as well as the (Ulster) Scots-Irish.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Sure, ProLogic. It'd take me a while to list all the Catholic girls of any race that I know who've had abortions. I was raised Catholic myself.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Sure, ProLogic. It'd take me a while to list all the Catholic girls of any race that I know who've had abortions. I was raised Catholic myself.
Again, you seem to think everyone thinks alike.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:39 PM

16,086 posts, read 38,748,390 times
The new wave of immigrants just seems to be much different from the ones I grew up with a generation ago.

Southlander you say they pick up English 'pretty quickly' --- well wait until your school is overwhelmed and there are 80% or more illegals...then watch out, they start giving the tests in Spanish and your child is forgotten.

Here many schools allow all the tests in Spanish until sixth grade. Then they must take them in English and the middle schools have large groups who cannot pass. They bide their time until they can drop out and then most do just that..

None of this is race-based, I know many hispanics who are very successful (some even from this generation).

Old 12-05-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Again, you seem to think everyone thinks alike.
No, I do believe it was others assuming that Catholic girls don't get abortions; that to me is assuming that they all think alike. Plenty of Catholic girls DO get abortions, thus proving that they do not all think alike. Let the record show that I was the one who pointed this out.

Nice try though.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
No, I do believe it was others assuming that Catholic girls don't get abortions; that to me is assuming that they all think alike. Plenty of Catholic girls DO get abortions, thus proving that they do not all think alike. Let the record show that I was the one who pointed this out.

Nice try though.
I'm not saying that they don't, I'm saying that the religion highly forbids it. Especially Hispanic culture and abortion-- a subject always to lay off of. They have barely legalized abortions in Mexico. By barely, I'm talking about 2 or 3 months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration