Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:49 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times

Advertisements

"My name is Nova. I'm 19-years-old…and I have a very different glass ceiling than some of the girls are exhibiting here," she said.
Nova paused, took a deep breath, and then revealed her secret.
"For the first time publicly. I want to say that I am an undocumented immigrant."

Teenager Tearfully Confesses Undocumented Status To Hillary Clinton | ABC News - Yahoo

Nora; just go HOME, please. We DON'T your illegal alien kind here in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 08:17 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
1) Go back to Croatia.
then
2) Legally apply for US citizenship and go through the immigration process like all of my ancestors from Germany, Greece, and Ireland. What makes you so special that you should be exempt from the established rules?

If I had my way I would reduce legal immigration as well ... we have too many Americans, especially 20 somethings like myself who are either unemployed or under-employed because we have all these illegal immigrants and too many legal immigrants. One of out every two Americans under the age of 35 falls into this category.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:35 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
"My name is Nova. I'm 19-years-old…and I have a very different glass ceiling than some of the girls are exhibiting here," she said.
Nova paused, took a deep breath, and then revealed her secret.
"For the first time publicly. I want to say that I am an undocumented immigrant."

Teenager Tearfully Confesses Undocumented Status To Hillary Clinton | ABC News - Yahoo

Nora; just go HOME, please. We DON'T your illegal alien kind here in the US.
Um no Nova, you are an illegal alien.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:46 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
1) Go back to Croatia.
then
2) Legally apply for US citizenship and go through the immigration process like all of my ancestors from Germany, Greece, and Ireland. What makes you so special that you should be exempt from the established rules?
You do realize that it is not applying for U.S. citizenship, right? Someone can only naturalize to U.S. citizenship after five years as a Legal Permanent Resident, or three years as an LPR married to the same U.S. citizen. I married my wife in 2005 outside the country, but she wasn't legally admitted (under a K-3 non-immigrant visa, for the spouse of a U.S. citizen) until 2007, and didn't gain LPR status until 2008. She still hasn't naturalized, despite living in the United States almost seven years, and still being married to me (which some of you might think is a hard prospect).

If "Nova" isn't related to a U.S. citizen in some way, immigrating to the United States from her home country is going to be a very slim chance. She qualifies for DACA since she was brought in at age 5. Don't discount that she is going to college, and seems very driven to work for a living.

Immigration wasn't a "process" and didn't have "established rules" back when your ancestors came. None of my ancestors went through the lengthy process my wife has. One of my Great Great Grandfathers did return to Denmark for a wife, and they married 8 days after landing in the U.S., providing her citizenship (but not the ability to vote) extremely quickly under the "established rules" of the time.

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 04-18-2014 at 09:14 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 09:04 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You do realize that it is not applying for U.S. citizenship, right? Someone can only naturalize to U.S. citizenship after five years as a Legal Permanent Resident, or three years as an LPR married to the same U.S. citizen. I married my wife in 2005 outside the country, but she wasn't legally admitted (under a K-3 non-immigrant visa, for the spouse of a U.S. citizen) until 2007, and didn't gain LPR status until 2008. She still hasn't naturalized, despite living in the United States almost seven years, and still being married to me (which some of you might think is a hard prospect).

If "Nona" isn't related to a U.S. citizen in some way, immigrating to the United States from her home country is going to be a very slim chance. She qualifies for DACA since she was brought in at age 5. Don't discount that she is going to college, and seems very driven to work for a living.

Immigration wasn't a "process" and didn't have "established rules" back when your ancestors came. None of my ancestors went through the lengthy process my wife has. One of my Great Great Grandfathers did return to Denmark for a wife, and they married 8 days after landing in the U.S., providing her citizenship (but not the ability to vote) extremely quickly under the "established rules" of the time.
Nora's from Croatia? Then she can go right back there and immigrate LEGALLY to another country in Europe. Sheesh!

Old 04-18-2014, 10:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:

If "Nova" isn't related to a U.S. citizen in some way, immigrating to the United States from her home country is going to be a very slim chance. She qualifies for DACA since she was brought in at age 5. Don't discount that she is going to college, and seems very driven to work for a living.

Refugees

This is what my ancestors went through.

This is why I have tremendous sympathy for refugees and genuine asylum seekers fleeing political, religious, or ethnic oppression like my grandparents faced.

This is why I do not have sympathy for fence jumpers.

I'm well aware of what "Nova" faces. I feel bad for her, but that doesn't change the fact that she's an illegal immigrant who could, at age 18, have legalized her status easily by returning home, applying for a student visa, and re-entering the US as a foreign student. She may have been brought here at age 5, but she can only blame herself for her actions after turning 18. She's an adult now.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:43 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Refugees

This is why I have tremendous sympathy for refugees and genuine asylum seekers fleeing political, religious, or ethnic oppression like my grandparents faced.

I'm well aware of what "Nova" faces. I feel bad for her, but that doesn't change the fact that she's an illegal immigrant who could, at age 18, have legalized her status easily by returning home, applying for a student visa, and re-entering the US as a foreign student. She may have been brought here at age 5, but she can only blame herself for her actions after turning 18. She's an adult now.
My main commentary was on the wildly false perception that U.S. citizenship has an application process for any foreigner outside the United States. That's more disturbing than not being taught a certain history, or even having mannerisms and misspellings so they are hard to be understood. Not so much as a deliberate lie (after all, Americans don't commonly grasp the immigration process unless they navigate it, as you and I both did), but I wonder why someone would comment about something being so fundamentally mistaken.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
My main commentary was on the wildly false perception that U.S. citizenship has an application process for any foreigner outside the United States. That's more disturbing than not being taught a certain history, or even having mannerisms and misspellings so they are hard to be understood. Not so much as a deliberate lie (after all, Americans don't commonly grasp the immigration process unless they navigate it, as you and I both did), but I wonder why someone would comment about something being so fundamentally mistaken.
Because they don't know. I do know, and I'm still anti-illegal. In fact, going through the process of sponsoring my ex's green card is what changed my mind about the issue. I used to be more sympathetic.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:07 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Refugees

Thank you, for your common sense. And yes so many of our ancestors went thru the same hurdles to become American Citizens, and they were no fence jumpers. They were proud to come to this Country and become citizens of this Country, no matter how long it took, and no matter how hard it would be.

I am sorry, tell me please some of you who think you know it all. What Country could Americans go thru and make these same demands by jumping a fence and not becoming citizens of that Country. Which one please. I feel bad too, but the fact remains that many could have become legalized but choose not too.

Never should we grant status to those who break our laws, and make demands, they have no business making in the first damn place.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
"And I want to say that it's extremely difficult for me to empower myself in America," she said, tears streaming down her face. "It's been very hard because I don't have the documentation I need to get a job…to vote…to buy an apartment. To take out a loan to go to college…so I couldn't even go to my dream college because of that."

She can empower herself in her own country. There are far too many Americans who are being denied jobs, education, health care, and opportunity because of these leeches coming illegally expecting to be rewarded for breaking the laws.

Massive illegal immigration is hurting those who would come legally. Illegals want to grab up all the good jobs, and that makes for fewer employer visas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration