Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
As regards "HIIBEL V. SIXTH JUDICIAL DIST. COURT OF NEV.,HUMBOLDT CTY." the Surpreme Court DID NOT say that you needed to carry I.D. Quite the opposite actually. They said you must give an officer with a resonable suspicion you were involved in a crime your name. They in fact acknowledged that ID was NOT a requirement to comply with the law. Just verbaly telling the officer.

"As we understand it, the statute does not require a suspect to give the officer a driver’s license or any other document. Provided that the suspect either states his name or communicates it to the officer by other means–a choice, we assume, that the suspect may make–the statute is satisfied and no violation occurs."

As I already showed earlier the Arizona law is being misinterpreted by the "Doom and Gloomers".

It says "Police in suburban Scottsdale have begun routinely asking for proof of citizenship from every suspect they ARREST ". That's ARREST as in you have been taken into police custody because they have a reasonable suspicion you commited a crime. Most countries in the world do this exact same thing, and many without requiring an arrest.

Grandma walking to the store or in the passenger seat of a car does NOT need to carry ID, Never has, andhopefully never will. If stopped on suspicion she need only state "My name is....", If however she is arrested, YES THAT'S ARRESTED, she must provide proof of citizenship.

Random U
I heard something about that as well; just that piece of trivia is not widely published.

Still: the threat of being taken in (with probable cause) has the illegal immigrants shaking in their boots.

If a cop wanted to be a hard-ass; theoretically, anybody can be arrested. Being held though is a different situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 PM

307 posts, read 522,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I heard something about that as well; just that piece of trivia is not widely published.

Still: the threat of being taken in (with probable cause) has the illegal immigrants shaking in their boots.

If a cop wanted to be a hard-ass; theoretically, anybody can be arrested. Being held though is a different situation.
Quite true, However that applies the world over. I have heard of Police in England and Germany useing "Contempt of Cop" charges on Americans who legaly did nothing wrong. It's not an American issue, It's police issue in all part of the world.

While I agree with some that the US has taken a step or three towards a more oppresive society, It is a LONG way from being an imperialistic "Papers Please" Facist state some try to make it out to be. Most of the more represive laws have been or I expect will be overturned by th USSC when the cases wind their way up there.

As far as frightening ILLEGALS to leave?. By all means, Just as long as we don't take a step towards requiring ID to be carried. which is NOT he case in AZ.

Random U

Old 01-11-2008, 05:46 PM

635 posts, read 1,747,887 times
Those cops in Scottsdale aren't going to be doing much checking of licenses anymore. There going to be driving by abandoned homes and construction sites. The housing market is already suffering in Arizona, now without illegals doing the work it will look like Katrina. I'm sure neighborhoods in the Phoenix area have become desolate.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:50 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Those cops in Scottsdale aren't going to be doing much checking of licenses anymore. There going to be driving by abandoned homes and construction sites. The housing market is already suffering in Arizona, now without illegals doing the work it will look like Katrina. I'm sure neighborhoods in the Phoenix area have become desolate.
Suffering?

I think not.

If anything; homes here are overpriced for the prevailing wages here.

Bottom line; they need to dip further in price to entice regular people to buy again.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:00 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,714,119 times
Right. Just because Illegals won't be building any more sub par homes doesn't mean an american won't step up. There are lots that would. Here in Austin, homes are becoming way overpriced for Texas. How will anything look like Katrina struck if an illegal isn't working on a home? Sorry, but that makes no sense. Are you saying that suddenly homes will come falling down, or if they leave a great wind will blow through uprooting everything because mother nature is angry that the illegals left? Most construction sites currently look like a hurricane came through with all the mess they leave. More trash from lunch than I've seen anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration