Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 04:13 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,189,975 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXUdozfL7iM

Watching this video reminded me of the need for some serious immigration reform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 04:19 PM

22,576 posts, read 12,144,435 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...es-create.html

Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 PM

63,437 posts, read 29,458,968 times
I for one do not believe that for just about any job that an American can't be found to do it for a fair wage. Our need for immigrants has demished over the years. Not saying that we shouldn't allow in some but we need to make sure that every able-bodied American is working first.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:09 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,453,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

Watching this video reminded me of the need for some serious immigration reform.
Oh, good grief......

I did that work when I was 12.

And it was in a much less modern setting.

What is hard about putting milkers on a cow in a stantion????

Yes......cow poo at the same end.......be careful.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 PM

50,616 posts, read 47,460,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Oh, good grief......

Me too and with no pay. I got a place to sleep and food.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:32 PM

3,920 posts, read 4,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Oh, good grief......

I give the illegals points for literally working any job. Desperation does create a humble work force.

However, the "mantra" of "they're only doing the jobs Americans wont" seems a dangerous self fulfilling prophesy. I do remember reading an article here where I live in Orange County, Ca. there are some kids wont even try getting certain jobs because they're now considered "Mexican" jobs. Especially in more affluent areas like where I live.

Nevertheless, just like how you worked a job similar like the one in the video there are plenty of able bodied Americans who would and DO work "the Mexican jobs".

My best friend who has a masters in Technical writing was a maid in a hotel during college in San Diego.
I've worked part time in restaurants all my adult life and have no problem helping out with washing dishes and scraping the muck. Over the years the food service industry has been taken over by people from south of the border. (The last place I worked, the manager confessed to me, he guessed about 1/3 of that particular chain were illegals)
My son who has never had a need for anything and grew up here in Orange County is a part time student and works at a food processing plant. He stinks when he gets home and is dripping with sweat from the furnace he works with. Most of his coworkers are Spanish speaking and he just works with his headphones on and listens to music. A good friend of mine has a son who is learning to be a butcher.

But seems more and more, all over the U.S., there are illegals who are working in "undesirable" jobs like dog food canning, garbage collecting, tedious factory work etc. So if there were no illegals to work these jobs, what...? The U.S. would collapse? A fast food chain might go out of business? Wealthy homeowners would have to buy lawn mowers? What?

Old 08-29-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I give the illegals points for literally working any job. Desperation does create a humble work force.

However, the "mantra" of "they're only doing the jobs Americans wont" seems a dangerous self fulfilling prophesy. I do remember reading an article here where I live in Orange County, Ca. there are some kids wont even try getting certain jobs because they're now considered "Mexican" jobs. Especially in more affluent areas like where I live.

Nevertheless, just like how you worked a job similar like the one in the video there are plenty of able bodied Americans who would and DO work "the Mexican jobs".

My best friend who has a masters in Technical writing was a maid in a hotel during college in San Diego.
I've worked part time in restaurants all my adult life and have no problem helping out with washing dishes and scraping the muck. Over the years the food service industry has been taken over by people from south of the border. (The last place I worked, the manager confessed to me, he guessed about 1/3 of that particular chain were illegals)
My son who has never had a need for anything and grew up here in Orange County is a part time student and works at a food processing plant. He stinks when he gets home and is dripping with sweat from the furnace he works with. Most of his coworkers are Spanish speaking and he just works with his headphones on and listens to music. A good friend of mine has a son who is learning to be a butcher.

But seems more and more, all over the U.S., there are illegals who are working in "undesirable" jobs like dog food canning, garbage collecting, tedious factory work etc. So if there were no illegals to work these jobs, what...? The U.S. would collapse? A fast food chain might go out of business? Wealthy homeowners would have to buy lawn mowers? What?
The problem is that there are so many illegal aliens working those types of jobs that an employer will not hire an American to do them because they wouldn't fit in with the rest of the crew. Many times they pay them less than a fair wage and there is a language barrier and the employers know that.

If there truly aren't Americans that will do most of those jobs then why don't the employers hire legal immigrants? I think we all know the answer to that one.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:40 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,443,796 times
This job (milking cows)currently pays about $15/hr in San Diego, at least in my neighborhood. With the drought, there are 30,000 ag jobs lost in the central valley, I wonder how many of the NY farmers bothered to advertise their jobs there.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:15 PM

27,790 posts, read 16,307,339 times
golly gee, how did things get done before illegal aliens did them?

Old 08-29-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

There is no reform being proposed only amnesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration