Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:31 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,932,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
More than 100 immigrants working as grooms and exercisers at the Turf Paradise racetrack in Phoenix may lose their jobs and face deportation because of a failure to obtain work permits.

Scores of the undocumented employees remain on the job even though the government last year turned down their so-called H-2B visas because applications exceeded a federally mandated cap.

If the grooms leave, Phoenix racing experts say, the multimillion-dollar Turf Paradise operation will shrivel or get shut down for the season.
Arizona Republic article (broken link)

The 'powers to be' here obviously preferred to be greedy vs. hiring US citizens or green card holders. The least that the people in charge of Turf Paradise could have done was to have sponsored their illegal immigrant employees.

Some of the above workers have been here illegally for well over 10 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,326,741 times
yes.. if they would have hired Americans in the first place.. instead of cutting the American wages by utilizing cheap illegal labor.. they woudn't be in this situation! greed got the best up them.. They would still make a profit if Americans were working there.. they just wanted even more!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 AM

419 posts, read 2,012,559 times
Default Use American Legal workers

I am sure politically connected officals will see that these illegal aliens are given the necessary work Visas and they will use this story as a vehicle to show that American immigration laws are to harsh and all illegal aliens should get amnesty. The Phoenix newspaper and TV News are very pro illegal and will spin the story accordingly.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,932,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I am sure politically connected officals will see that these illegal aliens are given the necessary work Visas and they will use this story as a vehicle to show that American immigration laws are to harsh and all illegal aliens should get amnesty. The Phoenix newspaper and TV News are very pro illegal and will spin the story accordingly.
Two years ago I would have agreed; now, I am not so sure-----those illegal immigrants 'rights' marches in 2006 were a massive PR blunder at best.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 AM

436 posts, read 801,839 times
Good-

let them walk. I cannot believe that there are not others, here on a legal basis who could take the jobs. Of course the racetrack may have to pay them more, but that is business.

If the track wants to flaunt this issue, then I think the track should loses its license for the ten days, as stipulated by the new laws. If they continue- close the track.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:42 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,326,741 times
tell luke.. he hires illegals... maybe he needs some more!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:07 AM

16,233 posts, read 27,220,459 times
Here's my two tears in a bucket for the racetrack choosing to close down instead of paying fair wages to legal employees --> . .

Boo hoo.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM

9,589 posts, read 31,491,191 times
It is about time . . .

Considering the Big Bucks flying around at the Turf Paradise Racetrack, they should be ashamed of themselves for stooping to the level of hiring ILLEGALS.

No sympathy here. I hope their DESPICABLE GREED bites them in the butt!

Who's next?

Old 01-15-2008, 12:32 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,459,882 times
They're getting exactly what they deserve. I hope it spreads throughout the country.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:36 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,599,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Sorry but our laws are in NO WAY harsh, NO AMNESTY. Not going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration