Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:26 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Why look for personal and attack? the word bigot, even though I've never been called it on here, is a personal attack.
I heartily suggest you re-read my post again, and tell me how you drew your conclusion from the post you quoted. Really, I am not interested in discussing issues with anyone when we apparently aren't even on the same page.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:28 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I heartily suggest you re-read my post again, and tell me how you drew your conclusion from the post you quoted. Really, I am not interested in discussing issues with anyone when we apparently aren't even on the same page.
You were debunking all those terms blacknight used. "bidiot" is a "bigot" and an "idiot". I'm referring to bigot.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
You were debunking all those terms blacknight used. "bidiot" is a "bigot" and an "idiot". I'm referring to bigot.
Then you have proven my point - I was discussing something in blacknight's post, and you are counter-questioning me with your own references.

And again, this is the third time I must ask you to re-read my post - I didn't make any attempt to "debunk" the term libidiots, I merely stated that I hadn't seen it used. It is not part of my vocabulary so I can hardly be accused of using it myself.

Are you starting to get it now?

Old 04-09-2008, 03:39 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,523 times
Quote:
Then you have proven my point - I was discussing something in blacknight's post, and you are counter-questioning me with your own references.

And again, this is the third time I must ask you to re-read my post - I didn't make any attempt to "debunk" the term libidiots, I merely stated that I hadn't seen it used. It is not part of my vocabulary so I can hardly be accused of using it myself.

Are you starting to get it now?
Are you cereal? What do you call this?

Quote:
Illegal aliens is actually a legal term. It is not a slur. It defines someone's status in our country.
Unpatriotic is not exactly a slur either - it's an adjective by the way.
I have not read a single post with the term libidiots - but I can assure you I have never used the word either.

Please point me to where I have been disrespectful, since you are implying that I am not worthy of respect as I have not given it.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:51 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,605 times
Quote:
Illegal aliens is actually a legal term. It is not a slur. It defines someone's status in our country.
Unpatriotic is not exactly a slur either - it's an adjective by the way.
I have not read a single post with the term libidiots - but I can assure you I have never used the word either.

Please point me to where I have been disrespectful, since you are implying that I am not worthy of respect as I have not given it.
My post wasn't referring to you specifically but i don't think it okay either to call someone an illegal immigrant when there is no proof they are just because you don't agree with them.

It is also offensive to call someone unpatriotic just because one doesn't agree with their point of view.

As for the libidiot phrase, i read it a couple of days ago somewhere on here.

My main point of the post is, the civility has to be on both sides of the issue. You can't expect one side to look down upon the other side and call them things we might fight offensive but cry and whine when we describe some actions or posts as xenophobic or bigoted.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Are you cereal? What do you call this?
Thank you for proving my posts are consistent, and you appear to be the one with a problem.

Quote #1: I have not read a single post with the term libidiots - but I can assure you I have never used the word either.

Quote #2: I didn't make any attempt to "debunk" the term libidiots, I merely stated that I hadn't seen it used.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
My post wasn't referring to you specifically but i don't think it okay either to call someone an illegal immigrant when there is no proof they are just because you don't agree with them.

It is also offensive to call someone unpatriotic just because one doesn't agree with their point of view.

As for the libidiot phrase, i read it a couple of days ago somewhere on here.

My main point of the post is, the civility has to be on both sides of the issue. You can't expect one side to look down upon the other side and call them things we might fight offensive but cry and whine when we describe some actions or posts as xenophobic or bigoted.
OK, here's how I see it. It is indeed wrong to call someone an illegal alien, if in fact there is no evidence of it. OTOH, if someone is one, then that's what they are.

It is wrong for someone to call someone unpatriotic for a different point of view. OTOH, if that person is opposed to upholding the law (we are a nation of law) then I can see how they would be deemed unpatriotic.

It is just as wrong to call someone a bigot because they are opposed to illegal activity. OTOH, if someone is delivering bigoted rhetoric, then they just might be one.

I still don't think that someone who is for the enforcement of our law can be called out for race issues - this is a political issue. If someone slanders a specific race on this forum I am the first one (or one of the first) to call them out for their misbehavior. (see my reaction to a post where someone vehemently stated "we hate Mexicans" if you don't believe me.)

The reason I posted again to this thread is because the name calling seems to have started up again. You are free to correct me if I am wrong.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:19 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,605 times
Quote:
OK, here's how I see it. It is indeed wrong to call someone an illegal alien, if in fact there is no evidence of it. OTOH, if someone is one, then that's what they are.

It is wrong for someone to call someone unpatriotic for a different point of view. OTOH, if that person is opposed to upholding the law (we are a nation of law) then I can see how they would be deemed unpatriotic.

It is just as wrong to call someone a bigot because they are opposed to illegal activity. OTOH, if someone is delivering bigoted rhetoric, then they just might be one.

I still don't think that someone who is for the enforcement of our law can be called out for race issues - this is a political issue. If someone slanders a specific race on this forum I am the first one (or one of the first) to call them out for their misbehavior. (see my reaction to a post where someone vehemently stated "we hate Mexicans" if you don't believe me.)

The reason I posted again to this thread is because the name calling seems to have started up again. You are free to correct me if I am wrong.
I can concur.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:44 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,020 times
This was a direct message from Greatday that went to my email, I thought naDear sassyone,

You have received a new private message at City-Data Forum from Greatday, entitled "You are getting quite a reputation".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
You and your posts are getting lots of attention - below is one of 5 messages I got, just yesterday, about your posts - and, this one is the .... "polite" one

*Sassyone is either mildly retarded, ADD, is a troll, or just plain text-book DUMB. I prefer to ignore her and hope she goes away-her posts in immigration add nothing at all *

Here is another:

*How old is this Sassyone? 10? 12? The posts are very immature*
me calling was not allowed on the forum.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:14 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
This was a direct message from Greatday that went to my email, I thought naDear sassyone,

You have received a new private message at City-Data Forum from Greatday, entitled "You are getting quite a reputation".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
You and your posts are getting lots of attention - below is one of 5 messages I got, just yesterday, about your posts - and, this one is the .... "polite" one

*Sassyone is either mildly retarded, ADD, is a troll, or just plain text-book DUMB. I prefer to ignore her and hope she goes away-her posts in immigration add nothing at all *

Here is another:

*How old is this Sassyone? 10? 12? The posts are very immature*
me calling was not allowed on the forum.
I don't quite understand your point here. Is there more to this?

Please explain your reason for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration