Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:44 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to go into a long dissertation on this, but things have begun to get out of control on the Immigration forum and I'd like to state a few points.

First, read the Terms of Service, which can be found at the link below:

Terms of Service - City-Data Forum

Second. I will no longer tolerate subtle personal attacks, calling or inferring racism, talk of killing people for being here illegally, subtle hints to either, and much more.

You all need to be aware of one thing; irrational attacks on either side of the issue will not do anything except frustrate the person trying to argue their point.

Once that line has been crossed, it turns out to be a free-for-all and there is nothing to be gained. Nobody will change anyone's mind, they'll just infuriate and obfuscate.

From this point forward, I will be less lenient on posters who try to infuriate, make off topic remarks, and generally devolve these discussions into nothing more than a name-calling event or "who can post last."

Whether you are for or against illegal immigration, these rules apply to ALL.

Now, let's see if we can clean up these discussions and behave like civilized people, ok?

-Synopsis

Last edited by Synopsis; 01-15-2008 at 06:04 PM..

Old 01-15-2008, 06:59 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I'm not going to go into a long dissertation on this, but things have begun to get out of control on the Immigration forum and I'd like to state a few points.

Second. I will no longer tolerate subtle personal attacks, calling or inferring racism, talk of killing people for being here illegally, subtle hints to either, and much more.

You all need to be aware of one thing; irrational attacks on either side of the issue will not do anything except frustrate the person trying to argue their point.

Once that line has been crossed, it turns out to be a free-for-all and there is nothing to be gained. Nobody will change anyone's mind, they'll just infuriate and obfuscate.

From this point forward, I will be less lenient on posters who try to infuriate, make off topic remarks, and generally devolve these discussions into nothing more than a name-calling event or "who can post last."

Now, let's see if we can clean up these discussions and behave like civilized people, ok?

-Synopsis
Well said---

Old 01-15-2008, 07:47 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:

-Synopsis
I tend to agree as well.

Things here have been out of hand as of late.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
Amen Brother, preach on!

Old 01-16-2008, 03:27 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Can we add - use of slurs, i.e. 'trailer trash' and 'rednecks'? I am really sick of reading these pejoratives. I make an effort to express myself without the use of belittling and marginalizing names and think the quality of discussion on the board would benefit if others would try as well.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:34 PM

902 posts, read 717,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Can we add - use of slurs, i.e. 'trailer trash' and 'rednecks'? I am really sick of reading these pejoratives. I make an effort to express myself without the use of belittling and marginalizing names and think the quality of discussion on the board would benefit if others would try as well.
Very true and yet the ones that start using that language then whine when people post it right back to them and then give neg reps.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:

-Synopsis

Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I second this, as well as the terms hillbilly and uneducated.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
I for one, would be happy to see the end of the ad hominem attacks that many who disagree with others on the forum tend to resort to. Argue the post, don't attack the poster.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:03 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
When I said personal attacks and racial remarks, I very much intended to make such slurs off limits in every way possible.

IMO, remarks containing terms such as hillbilly, redneck, white trash, and others are every bit of a racial slur as those slurs aimed at people of all other races and are at the very least intended to inflame. If I am off-base here, someone explain..

Racism comes in all forms, from all sides, and I do believe that we can discuss these issues without stereotyping entire groups of living, breathing human beings that deserve more respect.

I hope this clarifies things somewhat. If not, please feel free to discuss these issues with me via DM or on this sticky thread.

Thanks again all for your cooperation.

-Synopsis

Last edited by Synopsis; 01-17-2008 at 12:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration