Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:41 PM

419 posts, read 2,020,728 times

Advertisements

I read on the Internet this morning that many States are seeing huge increases in their unemployment rates and a significant decrease in job creation. I think many regular native born Americans will be looking for any job to pay their rent very soon as the country slips into a recession. There will be few jobs Americans will not do to provide for their families and keep food on the plate.

I wonder how the economic recession will impact Americans view of immigration both legal and illegal. I know that if I were unemployed, I would be very angry seeing any type of immigrant doing work a US Citizen could be doing.

Do you think increasing unemployment will have an impact on how Americans view immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 12:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,176,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I read on the Internet this morning that many States are seeing huge increases in their unemployment rates and a significant decrease in job creation. I think many regular native born Americans will be looking for any job to pay their rent very soon as the country slips into a recession. There will be few jobs Americans will not do to provide for their families and keep food on the plate.

I wonder how the economic recession will impact Americans view of immigration both legal and illegal. I know that if I were unemployed, I would be very angry seeing any type of immigrant doing work a US Citizen could be doing.

Do you think increasing unemployment will have an impact on how Americans view immigrants?
Very much so, questioner2.

To the point the rising unemployment rates may wind up tipping the courts in favor of supporting the anti illegal immigrant laws in Az, Ok, etc.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:02 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,683,442 times
I think people will push for more domino type effect laws as the economy gets weaker. We'll probably see less illegal immigration crossing the border as well.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:08 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,345,813 times
two million work permits are issued each year, for illegals to come and work. So.. for those who wish NOT to work in Agriculture.. I would be pretty sure 2 million is plenty to pick an apple or pull a head of lettuce. There are millions of illegals stealing Americans jobs that are in all sorts of different fields of work. Getting RID of these illegals would GREATLY increase the chances of an American to be able to provide for thier family. Many, MANY Americans have worked, and will work in restaurants, hotels, fast food, construction and so-on.. This so-called.. well Americans don't want to do those jobs is a bunch of crap. Americans have been working construction and service type jobs... LONG LONG before the illegals started stealing them away!

let mexico stand up, take care of thier own... and STAY on thier side!

Old 01-19-2008, 02:09 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,127,198 times
Cool Good news/bad news

Quote:

It is bad news that unemployment will cost more Americans their jobs but good news that it will force MEXICANS TO GO home AND LET THEIR COUNTRY PAY THEIR BILLS.

Good riddance!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:27 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,854,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post
It is bad news that unemployment will cost more Americans their jobs but good news that it will force MEXICANS TO GO home AND LET THEIR COUNTRY PAY THEIR BILLS.

Good riddance!!!
I couldn't agree more!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:41 PM

6 posts, read 17,209 times
There are many immigrants in the United States (legal and illegally), but they have been the backbone to the society which we live in. They have harvested their seed here as well. Immigrants come from many walks in life Irish, Polish, Italians, South Americans, Mexico, etc... These are all great people that have come here to help their families to survive not to take jobs that the Caucasians or African Americans do not wish to do because we have all grown very comfortable in our egos. The labor these immigrants accomplish are jobs that I am sure not to see any Caucasian or African American doing.

Please do not discriminate and have these assumed prejudices against the hard working immigrants that mean no harm. If the immigrant has committed legal crimes, then do not allow them to stay. If they commit a illegal crime while here send them back to their country and do not allow them to return. But certainly do not assume all are here to do any harm to us.

Oh, by the way and just in case...I am not an immigrant. I was born and raised in the City of Camden, New Jersey. My parents are citizens of the island of Puerto Rico. Since they arrived in New Jersey in 1945, they have worked and dedicated themselves to helping the community as well. I learned to love everyone regardless their ethnicity from my parents (now deceased).

Old 01-20-2008, 06:03 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,345,813 times
First is the fact that coming here LEGALLY is the ONLY way allowed... we have laws against entering illegally.

Legal=welcome
Illegally=get lost-deport-don't come back

Sneaking into OUR country is illegal.. a crime. It should be a felony even for the first offence.. getting caught here illegally the second-time around IS a felony...

All we ask as Americans.. is that our laws be upheld and inforced!

Ok.. so many of the illegals who sneak over the border MAY only want to come for a job... But the fact is they come ILLEGALLY and are breaking the law. And they DO take away jobs from those who DID come by way of our legal process. Anyone with any Common-sense knows we can NOT just open our borders to millions of illegals! We will all suffer for it.. in many ways! That is WHY we have had LEGAL immigration in place for many many years.

And there is still the fact that many do sneak across only to commit violent crimes, smuggle tons and tons of drugs, sneak across only to give birth which really adds up to a huge financial burden...

The domino-effect of millions of illegals taking away jobs and financial services from those who are here legally.. and who are legally intitled to them, is surely showing the mass burden it has on Americans.. it can NOT continue this way.. we ALL will suffer.

And we all know.. we have seen it time and time again in the news.. there are some REAL bad ones out there.. should we have to take all the bad ones,, so as to help some good ones... no,, legal channels will surely help weed out the bad bad ones... only way to go!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:20 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,176,030 times
To Beatrice:

All Puerto Ricans are US citizens------your 'ethnicity' has the right to be here.

As for being prejudiced against illegal immigrants---------damn straight I am!

I have a problem with invaders (of any race/ethnicity) and especially those politicians/business people, etc who cater to them.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:48 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,805,788 times
Quote:

Yes, i think when Americans put the illegal invasion together with rising unemployment it will finally wake all of America up to realize we need to get our stuff together and set a responsible immigration system and throw EVERY illegal immigrant outta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration