Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 03:11 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times

Advertisements

Let me try to be brief.

I agree, generally, with the title to this thread. Yet, I also disagree somewhat.

I have been privileged to know some of the finest young, and loyal, Americans over the last 18 years. This is the length of time my son has been in the United States Navy - attached to the United States Marine Corp, 1st MEF, Camp Pendleton. He is currently on his 5th tour in the ME (Afghanistan - TDY with the Army's Special Forces). His wife, a Captain USN, and Doctor (2 tours ME) is currently at the Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital.

I mention all this because, through this close relationship, we have been involved with other military families - and service members who have been injured - some very severely (multiple amputees). Men, and women. These people, to a person, are totally and completely, the finest group of people I have ever known. Their courage and sacrifice is unbelievable.

And, to a "man", each and everyone of them wants to go back and "complete their mission". They want to serve their country. They know what they are fighting for.

So, I guess I will have to admit that there are a whole bunch of young, and very loyal Americans out there -

And, if you get to know them - you come to realize, that while we may have our problems as a nation - some of our finest leaders are just coming up -

BTW - if you encounter a member of our military, do our nation a favor - go up and shake their hand - thank them for their service.

They deserve it.

OK - off my soap box
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 03:15 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Think long and hard about what kind of world you want her to reach maturity in, and then do what you must to make it so.

That's the best advice that I can give you.
I agree wholeheartedly. As your "little one" develops her personality and becomes more of a "person" (and gets more of a 'hold' on her Dad's heart) it will be more and more important to you each year, just WHO is influencing her---what she's "picking up" out there, and whether that world out there is one that's worthy of HER. Your viewpoint will change, Mach50, I promise you that.

Believe me, when you see that tiny innocent person 'absorbing' things day to day, you'll develop a real interest in "what's on TV"...or music, or in the classroom, etc etc. GuyPinestra is right....I can't DESCRIBE it for you, but you'll know when it "happens".....

Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let me try to be brief.

I agree, generally, with the title to this thread. Yet, I also disagree somewhat.

I have been privileged to know some of the finest young, and loyal, Americans over the last 18 years. This is the length of time my son has been in the United States Navy - attached to the United States Marine Corp, 1st MEF, Camp Pendleton. He is currently on his 5th tour in the ME (Afghanistan - TDY with the Army's Special Forces). His wife, a Captain USN, and Doctor (2 tours ME) is currently at the Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital.

I mention all this because, through this close relationship, we have been involved with other military families - and service members who have been injured - some very severely (multiple amputees). Men, and women. These people, to a person, are totally and completely, the finest group of people I have ever known. Their courage and sacrifice is unbelievable.

And, to a "man", each and everyone of them wants to go back and "complete their mission". They want to serve their country. They know what they are fighting for.

So, I guess I will have to admit that there are a whole bunch of young, and very loyal Americans out there -

And, if you get to know them - you come to realize, that while we may have our problems as a nation - some of our finest leaders are just coming up -

BTW - if you encounter a member of our military, do our nation a favor - go up and shake their hand - thank them for their service.

They deserve it.

OK - off my soap box
Well said. Thanks for posting and thanks to your son and his wife for their service.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I think that the "younger generation", those maybe after the baby boomers, don't understand loyalty to their own country, since they seem to think that globalism is GOOD for We the People of America.

They didn't hear their parents talk about fighting in WWII, and what sacrifices we made to rid the world of dictators who would have taken over the world, and we'd all be speaking German and saying "Heil, Hitler, May He Rest in Peace".

I think this has something to do with how they feel about globalism, and that one shouldn't think of one's own country first. But, we older folks disagree.
I disagree. They may have been taught that globalism is good -- in that they believe globalism is about cheap products available to buy and they may not connect the stagnant wages with globalist "free trade".

There was an incident on the border bridge a number of years ago. Some Mexicans came over the bridge and took down the USA flag and began to desecrate it. There were some American kids from the barrio (hispanic-American kids) who went to the bridge prepared to fight for our flag. The police showed up at that point and stopped the confrontation.

There is loyalty to our country -- it's out there. We haven't had a Great Depression or a world war to bring it out in the open.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:24 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,563 times
Of course its out there.. this is just a huge BS rant by the OP.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:27 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Quote:
I think that the "younger generation", those maybe after the baby boomers, don't understand loyalty to their own country, since they seem to think that globalism is GOOD for We the People of America.

They didn't hear their parents talk about fighting in WWII, and what sacrifices we made to rid the world of dictators who would have taken over the world, and we'd all be speaking German and saying "Heil, Hitler, May He Rest in Peace".

I think this has something to do with how they feel about globalism, and that one shouldn't think of one's own country first. But, we older folks disagree.
I like isolationism, not globalism. I think we need to "mind our own business" instead of pushing ourselves on other countries. I love America the country, not America the government. You want a slice of REAL America, try Appalachia.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:17 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I like isolationism, not globalism. I think we need to "mind our own business" instead of pushing ourselves on other countries. I love America the country, not America the government. You want a slice of REAL America, try Appalachia.
Yes, I'm an isolationist, too.

Why the heck are we building up the middle classes in other countries, like Communist China or India, instead of HERE in our own country where the backbone of our society is crumbling? What is the matter with this picture? Where are the brains of our so-called leaders? MONEY, GREED. That's it.

They think of us only as "consumers" now - not citizens, which is what we ARE!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
With a recession coming -- things may change. Like the pendulum swings.

The longer things go -- the worse the fix will have to be. It's like they say about the pendulum swings -- the further it is pushed in one direction, the further it will go when it swings back -- and that's the problem.

It's too bad there aren't wiser people in the government who realize this and they would tone things down now on the globalist greed.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:33 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,013 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm an isolationist, too.

Why the heck are we building up the middle classes in other countries, like Communist China or India, instead of HERE in our own country where the backbone of our society is crumbling? What is the matter with this picture? Where are the brains of our so-called leaders? MONEY, GREED. That's it.

They think of us only as "consumers" now - not citizens, which is what we ARE!
Its a far bigger issue than the middle class of America. Globalisation is an integration of trade and culture of the wider world. It makes the world smaller. Access to info and technology becomes easier and prices are cut globally through increased competition.

The globalisation by large corporations which in turn leads to the exploitation of a country's goods and workforces should be stopped. If the globalisation of industry and fair trade was started in the developing world then these countries may begin to recover and thrive as they deserve instead of getting further and further in debt while the developed world watches.

If the OP and many responses are something to go by, then globalization is a grossly misunderstood subject, and more should be done to simplify it and present to society. Many responses on this thread are about "stop helping the third world, and think about our country first"... a very shallow, close minded, and confused understanding.

Its hard to understand why anybody could think that helping third worl countries to get out of debt and to build stronger and more developed economies could be a bad thing. As long as trade negotiations are adhered too, then the economic benefits to the US (and other countries) have been clearly summarized by economists the world over.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:37 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,244 times
Quote:
Globalism encompasses things like international phone calls, shipping, air travel, and trade. The internet is a key tool in globalism. So are you against City-data?? You don't like German beer, Mexican tequila, Mongolian cashmere, or Japanese televisions? You're staring at a PC monitor right now.. where was it made? (Hint: Probably southeast Asia) Saying you are "anti-globalism" indicates to me that you want technology to start moving backwards. Maybe you do wish we didn't have things like airplanes and telephones, and that's fine. I just want to clarify if that's what you mean.

If so, it seems awfully hypocritical for an anti-globalist to be using a PC whose manufacturing is a process of globalism, discussing ideas on the internet, which is one of the main facilitators of globalism. By virtue of owning a PC and using the internet, you are very actively "a globalist."

I'm not sure what you mean by "pushing ourselves" on other countries. It seems like English, dollar bills, McDonalds, and Starbucks are things the rest of the world is asking for.

Last edited by anonymous; 02-07-2008 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration