U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:18 PM

8,975 posts, read 15,893,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
That's one thing we disagree on.
Fair enough, and as I said, just explain your position. What, in particular, is the compelling reason to extend a lifetime of American citizenship on a baby born 2 hours after his mother entered here illegally? Nothing against "the kid", mind you, but how is he more "deserving" than anyone else? If you post, I'll listen.

I can understand citizenship for the children of legal aliens---or those adopted by US citizens---or even the stepchildren of citizens. I simply don't see the rationale of the "anchor baby" law, and its an OBVIOUS invitation to massive corruption (chain migration). Explain, please, why "allowing it" makes more sense than "denying it".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 04:18 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,671,649 times
Quote:
That's one thing we disagree on.
I don't agree on illegals coming to America and shutting down hospitals. We have loop holes in our laws, they should be followed but should be in the process of being fixed.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,672,393 times
Quote:
Why do you want it to be changed? I thought the law was the law and it should be enforced?
Because I feel the law has been misinterpreted and twisted to be used in an inappropriate manner. If a tourist goes into labor, should that child be a US citizen? Of course not, it doesn't even make sense.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 PM

3,209 posts, read 4,226,607 times
The law was INTERPRETED incorrectly. Nothing has to be changed. It just needs to be challenged in the courts for clarification. Unless you are the most liberal nut job loon, you would see the law is being applied incorrectly. 10% of all U.S. births are to these "anchor babies". Forget about the silliness of granting citizenship the children of people who aren't supposed to be here, but imagine that 10% of our nations population is being created by these people. Now that is pure Insanity..

Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,272,702 times
Quote:
That is why the immigration laws need to be changed.
And until they're changed they need to be followed. That's the glitch in your analogy, is that we the people are working to change the law, but following it until such change is made. Your beloved illegals are not following the law until it's changed, they are choosing to ignore it and you are defending law breaking. So the next time you make an analogy, make it comparable.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:41 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,442,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
And until they're changed they need to be followed. That's the glitch in your analogy, is that we the people are working to change the law, but following it until such change is made. Your beloved illegals are not following the law until it's changed, they are choosing to ignore it and you are defending law breaking. So the next time you make an analogy, make it comparable.
But that would destroy his entire argument...

Old 02-06-2008, 08:18 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,406,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I don't agree on illegals coming to America and shutting down hospitals. We have loop holes in our laws, they should be followed but should be in the process of being fixed.
What evidence do you have of illegals coming to America and shutting down hospitals?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:29 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,272,702 times
Quote:
What evidence do you have of illegals coming to America and shutting down hospitals?
Already know how this is going to end, word play. You'll say that articles presented to you don't "specifically" say the hospitals in question closed due to illegals, it says they closed because of federal law mandating they treat patients regardless of their ability to pay, and they have suffered too much financial loss from non paying patients. And because the same law makes it illegal to ask a patient their citizenship status, there are no numbers to support just how many of them are illegal. But in areas like southern CA, Arizona and Texas, anyone using common sense knows the truth.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:46 PM

8,975 posts, read 15,893,207 times
Quote:
There are several hospitals here in Southern Cal. which no longer have emergency rooms, because of unrecoverable costs associated with indigent care. The illegals didn't shut down these emergency rooms--the directors did....because they were going broke.

All I know is, if you NEED an emergency room now, you STILL can't go there. If I'm bleeding to death, that's all I need to know, as they take me another 12 miles down the road.

You make a good point, though. Illegals don't take away JOBS, either. After having their wages and benefits trimmed to the bone, Americans LEAVE jobs. Their employers then "re-structure" those jobs at lower wages, and offer them to illegals. So you're right, illegals don't TAKE jobs--they help create NEW ones....after the OLD ones are lost due to "changes" in the wage scale....

And, as I'm sure you'd ALSO agree, we could reduce illegal immigration any time we wanted, and very easily.....all we'd have to do is give blanket amnesty to everyone, and PRESTO !....no more illegals ......we COULD do this, but we're just too 'stubborn", I guess.

Last edited by macmeal; 02-06-2008 at 08:57 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 08:47 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,394,936 times
Quote:
FOXNews.com - L.A. Emergency Rooms Full of Illegal Immigrants - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Bankrupt hospital serving Hispanic immigrants closing | NSHP - National Society for Hispanic Professionals

Illegal aliens threaten<br>U.S. medical system

Hopkins Undergraduate Research Journal (http://ww2.jhu.edu/hurj/issue7/focus-draoua.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration