Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:16 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,524,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
  • It is believed that jaguars in northern Mexico total no more than 120
  • Conservationists worry that border fence could prevent return of breeding jaguars
  • Homeland Security officials have waived laws to make sure fence is completed
  • Agencies look for solution that enhances security while preserving wildlife
Border-fence dispute snares rare jaguars - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 PM

307 posts, read 522,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I'll admit I am no expert on jaguars, however they do climb trees quite easily. I have owned several house cats and they can climb mesh surfaces such as screens and wire fences with NO problem. The claws seem tailor made for it. From the photos I have seen of the Mexico border fence, most are just wire mesh with no barbwire on top, so I doubt it would pose a major problem to a jaguar.

Google Image Result for http://cityrag.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/cat_screen_2.jpg

http://www.wirewall.com/images/INSBorder.jpg

Random

Old 05-05-2008, 11:02 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,748,597 times
Quote:
Good Grief, Mach50 . . . what's next?

Interesting how the Illegal Lovers are always able to create another "roadblock" in an attempt to interfere with the much needed fence. There's just no telling what they'll come up with next . . . ORPHANED RATTLESNAKES, maybe?

Old 05-06-2008, 12:01 AM

307 posts, read 522,643 times
Default This tends to support Jaguars are able to climb the fence.

This tends to support Jaguars are able to climb the fence.

In England, at the Chester Zoo, the Jaguar cage is almost 17 feet tall.

But apparently that is not enough they also then put an additional piece of fence at 90 degrees to stop them.

But wait there's more. They also electrify the fence to zap the cats if they try to climb.

Yea. If the fence sections I've seen on the border are any indication the "Poor Jaguar" will find it about as difficult to cross as an Illegal Immigrant did, Pre 2001.

Let me know when we start using electrified, seventeen foot tall fences to secure that section of the border and then I'll start worrying about the poor kitties.

Article on Chester Zoo Jaguar cage.

Random

Old 05-06-2008, 10:26 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,524,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Good Grief, Mach50 . . . what's next?

Interesting how the Illegal Lovers are always able to create another "roadblock" in an attempt to interfere with the much needed fence. There's just no telling what they'll come up with next . . . ORPHANED RATTLESNAKES, maybe?
The only reason I posted this, is because once the National Wildlife Refuge group gets involved, you can almost say nighty night to the fence.

This topic is heating up, here is another one:

Quote:
WASHINGTON - The debate over the fence the United States is building along its southern border has focused largely on the project's costs, feasibility and how well it will curb illegal immigration. But one of its most lasting impacts may well be on the animals and vegetation that make this politically fraught landscape their home.

Some wildlife researchers have grown so concerned about the consequences of bisecting hundreds of miles of rugged habitat that they have talked of engaging in civil disobedience to block the fence's construction.
azcentral.com | Phoenix Arizona News - Arizona Local News

Old 05-06-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
The only reason I posted this, is because once the National Wildlife Refuge group gets involved, you can almost say nighty night to the fence.
I understand and fully understand, Mach.

Up until about ten years ago, I was a Californian and believe me, I understand the mega-strength as well as the blind and often ridiculous antics involving many of those groups.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:10 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,588,195 times
Quote:

This topic is heating up, here is another one:

azcentral.com | Phoenix Arizona News - Arizona Local News
But just as the info provided by RandomU debunked this; the other 'stall tactics' will also be discredited. Funny, nobody seems to be concerned about the massive trashing of the forestry by the illegals.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
But just as the info provided by RandomU debunked this; the other 'stall tactics' will also be discredited. Funny, nobody seems to be concerned about the massive trashing of the forestry by the illegals.
So so true, Benicar . . .

Just as no one seems concerned, especially the corrupt Mexican Government, for the hundreds, possibly thousands of Illegals who die in the desert every year.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:58 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,588,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
So so true, Benicar . . .

Just as no one seems concerned, especially the corrupt Mexican Government, for the hundreds, possibly thousands of Illegals who die in the desert every year.
True. I guess they consider them collateral damage -- or martyrs for the cause.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
True. I guess they consider them collateral damage -- or martyrs for the cause.
Very possibly, Benicar.

However, I suspect it is driven more by GREED because for every Illegal that makes it there's a big KA-CHING for Mexico's income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration