Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 06:38 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,901,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Again it is customary in the SW to short education. CA, AZ, NM, UT, NV. Quite consistent. Only UT with it relatively homogeneous population does well. Of course Cost of Living is a variable but that generally indicates the problem is worse than the raw numbers suggest.

And yet again Beatty has a relatively homogeneous population. So it is just a quirk in the manning system...not driven by diversity.
Is diversity the new code word for illegals? I mean to clean it up and make it sound, you know, less illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 07:32 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,396,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Is diversity the new code word for illegals? I mean to clean it up and make it sound, you know, less illegal?
In this case diversity was used to note that Beatty has a relatively small Hispanic population whether legal or illegal.. So neither illegal nor legal Hispanics are creating the problem.

Determining the illegal population in a small NV town would be difficult. But Hispanic is readily available.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:36 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,078,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Nevada has highest proportion of illegal immigrants in U.S.: study | Reuters

Students, parents fed up as Beatty Elementary class sizes top 40 students - Story

I can remember Hillary Clinton in Las Vegas earlier this year and her commercial saying she was going to do all she can for the parents of illegal immigrants.

Luckily, it seems like chickens are coming to roost and that the high birth rate amongst illegal immigrants is causing class sizes to swell as high as 43 in some Las Vegas classrooms.

Predictions are that classrooms could become larger before the Christmas cold and flu season.

North Dakota by contrast with one of the lowest percentages of illegal immigrants average 11 students per teacher.

Vermont with a very low percentage of illegal imigrants has 10 students per teacher

Art Woolf: School district consolidation not enough
Nevada has warmer winters than North Dakota and Vermont - hence the variance in percentages.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:25 PM

13,412 posts, read 7,407,148 times
Arizona is by far the biggest illegal immigrant city in the nation. California used to be but the cost of living has gotten so high there unless they live far away from city's with fuel cost driving those distances is a lot. Everyday they come up into my neighborhood looking for landscape work. I don't think I go 1 day without seeing an illegal immigrant.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Arizona is by far the biggest illegal immigrant city in the nation. California used to be but the cost of living has gotten so high there unless they live far away from city's with fuel cost driving those distances is a lot. Everyday they come up into my neighborhood looking for landscape work. I don't think I go 1 day without seeing an illegal immigrant.
Sorry but on a per capita basis Las Vegas has more illegals than Phoenix. On an absolute basis CA of course is the winner. I would also note that illegals are not a big problem in Las Vegas. Interesting that we have more but less of a problem.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:40 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,689,745 times
Nevada doesn't have "more" just a higher percent per capita. Considering the state is among the least populated that equates to not all that many illegals in comparison to more populated states with lower percentages.

I do agree that they aren't generally a major cause of crime/social disorder here. I do think Vegas sees a higher percentage of illegals from Central America than say TX tho so that may be part of the difference.

Texas predictably had Texas sized problems.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Nevada doesn't have "more" just a higher percent per capita. Considering the state is among the least populated that equates to not all that many illegals in comparison to more populated states with lower percentages.

I do agree that they aren't generally a major cause of crime/social disorder here. I do think Vegas sees a higher percentage of illegals from Central America than say TX tho so that may be part of the difference.

Texas predictably had Texas sized problems.
That is kind of silly. Las Vegas is a big city. Illegal Population in the rural counties is small. Yet it has a lesser problem than Phoenix with a higher relative illegal population.

Virtually all are from Mexico. I know a few dozen many of whom once were illegal though not now. All from Mexico. The other large Spanish speaking group here is Filipino.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:53 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,736,313 times
Why are illegals even allowed to go to school? Don't you have to produce a SSN and birth certificate to enroll a child in school?

Old 11-14-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Why are illegals even allowed to go to school? Don't you have to produce a SSN and birth certificate to enroll a child in school?
The children involved mostly have one. A recent issue in TX when TX got tough about issuing them but has since backed off.

Children here illegally are still eligible. Well established Constitutional right.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:02 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,736,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The children involved mostly have one. A recent issue in TX when TX got tough about issuing them but has since backed off.

Children here illegally are still eligible. Well established Constitutional right.
I wonder how they get around things like immunization records. Those are usually required before a child can attend school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration