Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 06:24 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times

Advertisements

Obama called it "discrimination" to ban people with AIDS to enter. IMO unless someone can explain why it is discrimination, I believe nobody with a serious illness should be allowed a green card or entering the US.

For me the reason is that anyone can go to a hospital and get treatment and walk out and never pay the bill and getting collections as we see on many background checks.

If someone with AIDS comes here we know the illness will not go away unless the medical world will find something to eliminate AIDS or reverse the illness which would be unbelievable great and I hope it will be figured out tomorrow!

Until than we shouldn't make people with AIDS or another bad illness, an American tax burden or cause of increase of health insurance premiums.

I'm less worried about the transition of the illness which is of course possible but I think most AIDS patients will not try to harm others.

HIV positive is different to me.

Aside from that to me it is weird that Europeans who have a green card or became citizens can't be a blood donor but gay people who may be HIV positive can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 08:45 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Yeah discrimination is not necessarily a bad thing but often good. That pretty much summarize Obama's policies exposing Americans to unnecessary harm and burdens.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:42 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
OP. Define what you mean by "serious illness" .

Old 12-12-2016, 03:51 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
There's so much misinformation here...

Obama didn't exempt people with AIDS. The USDHS did, and there is still a list of illnesses that will prevent you from being granted permanent residency.

Only certain medical conditions can make you inadmissible to the United States under the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.), under Sections 212(a) and 221(d). These include:
  • A communicable diseases of public health significance. A list of these is kept in the Code of Federal Regulations at 42 C.F.R. Section 34.2. The main ones on the list are active tuberculosis, various venereal diseases, and infectious leprosy. AIDS (HIV) was once on the list, but no longer.
  • A physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder that may pose or has posed a threat to the property, safety, or welfare of the applicant or others.
  • A physical or mental disorder and a history or behavior associated with the disorder that may pose or has posed a threat to the property, safety or welfare of the alien or others and which behavior is likely to recur or lead to other harmful behavior. (Note that a conviction for driving while under the influence of alcohol has been interpreted to indicate inadmissibility as a medical disorder and associated harmful behavior.)
  • Abuse of or addiction to drugs.
What To Expect a the Green Card Medical Exam - AllLaw.com

Anyone can donate blood. If you are HIV positive it will not be accepted. There are no issues taking blood from immigrants or non-residents. I'm a permanent resident now, but do my quarterly donations consistently from the time I was only here on a visa. My travel has barred me repeatedly, but my immigration status hasn't. In fact there are no questions about your immigration status by any of the agencies.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:11 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
OP. Define what you mean by "serious illness" .
An illness that will cause a long term medical treatment. AIDS is one of these diseases. HIV isnt.

Once someone has Aids it usually goes downhill and someone needs special medication and care and unless the person has a lot of money and is willing to use that money to pay for the treatment, otherwise the money will be used for something else and collections that can never be collected will become a burden for society.

To me it is logical to do what other countries also do...denial to enter.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:42 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
I hadn't heard about this but I saw there is a thread from a few years back.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/legal...ravel-ban.html

Wonder how many illegal immigrants there are with HIV or AIDS .

Old 12-13-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
An illness that will cause a long term medical treatment. AIDS is one of these diseases. HIV isnt.

Once someone has Aids it usually goes downhill and someone needs special medication and care and unless the person has a lot of money and is willing to use that money to pay for the treatment, otherwise the money will be used for something else and collections that can never be collected will become a burden for society.

To me it is logical to do what other countries also do...denial to enter.
So, a person with MS would fall under your definition, as would others with non-communicable diseases?

Old 12-13-2016, 08:50 AM

62,973 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
So, a person with MS would fall under your definition, as would others with non-communicable diseases?

Whether or not they are carrying a non-communicable disease if their ailments are serious enough they will be a medical burden to our society.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
There's so much misinformation here...

Obama didn't exempt people with AIDS. The USDHS did, and there is still a list of illnesses that will prevent you from being granted permanent residency.

Only certain medical conditions can make you inadmissible to the United States under the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.), under Sections 212(a) and 221(d). These include:
  • A communicable diseases of public health significance. A list of these is kept in the Code of Federal Regulations at 42 C.F.R. Section 34.2. The main ones on the list are active tuberculosis, various venereal diseases, and infectious leprosy. AIDS (HIV) was once on the list, but no longer.
  • A physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder that may pose or has posed a threat to the property, safety, or welfare of the applicant or others.
  • A physical or mental disorder and a history or behavior associated with the disorder that may pose or has posed a threat to the property, safety or welfare of the alien or others and which behavior is likely to recur or lead to other harmful behavior. (Note that a conviction for driving while under the influence of alcohol has been interpreted to indicate inadmissibility as a medical disorder and associated harmful behavior.)
  • Abuse of or addiction to drugs.
What To Expect a the Green Card Medical Exam - AllLaw.com

Anyone can donate blood. If you are HIV positive it will not be accepted. There are no issues taking blood from immigrants or non-residents. I'm a permanent resident now, but do my quarterly donations consistently from the time I was only here on a visa. My travel has barred me repeatedly, but my immigration status hasn't. In fact there are no questions about your immigration status by any of the agencies.

My travel has barred me for life from donating blood. Lived in Europe too long during a BSE crisis in the early 2000s.

Green card medical exams are no joke. They are pretty invasive. I sponsored someone for a GC and believe me, it wasn't a walk in the park. It was a time-consuming, expensive, and invasive process. This person failed the medical exam the first time and had to be screened further in order to receive their GC...and this was as the spouse of a US citizen.

If we had to go through that, so should ALL OF THEM.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Whether or not they are carrying a non-communicable disease if their ailments are serious enough they will be a medical burden to our society.
Who would decide that? I'm asking because I have disabilities, but I have not been a great burden on our society. Are you saying I couldn't immigrate? (hypothetical, I am natural born US Citizen).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration