Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:49 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,480,036 times

Advertisements

Trump has said that illegals can leave and go back to their home country and then reapply LEGALLY to come back to the country and go through the process.

But considering they have already disrespected our laws should we even grant them readmission?

If you get fired from a job for doing something wrong, that company usually won't hire you back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 02:22 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Trump has said that illegals can leave and go back to their home country and then reapply LEGALLY to come back to the country and go through the process.

But considering they have already disrespected our laws should we even grant them readmission?

If you get fired from a job for doing something wrong, that company usually won't hire you back.

You have a good point. They should at least have to go to the back of the line in their home country behind applicants already waiting. IMO, if they worked here illegally especially with a stolen or fake SS number they should be disqualified to come back as that's a felony.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:45 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,857,625 times
I understand that there are rules already in place for that. Depending on the situation (time here illegally, how one got here or whether they did any OTHER crimes ) there is a 5 year, 10 year or lifetime ban.

So if the laws that are on the books are allowed to actually be enforced, yes, illegals can go back home and apply for the proper visa. However, the bastards can't butt in line ahead of ones already trying as they will have a minimum 5 year ban from being able to apply! And they'll have to go through the proper channels. (ex. lottery, have US citizen spouse petition for them, have other qualified US citizen family member petition for them, get hired on a work visa, apply for tourist visa, etc...)

They absolutely should not be able to go home and then instantly apply/petition for any of an assorted number of visas. They need to be punished so our laws need to be enforced! I;'m not for making anything easier for these criminals. Not one bit. I'm more for making their life a living hell!

Old 12-10-2016, 04:41 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,885,882 times
They should go back to the end of the line but the fact they crossed and stayed illegal shiuld be a huge demerit. And with proper qualitative and quantitative immigration standards most or all of them wouldn't ever make the cut. We don't need a single immigrant and very few work legal only entrance. They should be the most American-loving superior specimens to even be admitted. Also we need to test for non-partisan or politically net neutral immigration.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:17 PM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times
Quote:

In reality there is a minimum of 10 year ban for most of them for the amount of overstaying which for many is even above illegal entry as only a part will have overstayed after entering legally.

If they apply at that time they will need to prove their case with income, job lined up, health coverage in place or having funds to pay for medical.

In reality when they apply it can take years unless they have a job lined up and are able to get a visa but with a history of overstaying or legal entry it may be harder to be approved. Which should be considered as others have done the right thing.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:29 PM

13,433 posts, read 9,965,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
In reality there is a minimum of 10 year ban for most of them for the amount of overstaying which for many is even above illegal entry as only a part will have overstayed after entering legally.

If they apply at that time they will need to prove their case with income, job lined up, health coverage in place or having funds to pay for medical.

In reality when they apply it can take years unless they have a job lined up and are able to get a visa but with a history of overstaying or legal entry it may be harder to be approved. Which should be considered as others have done the right thing.
If someone has overstayed for more than a year there is an automatic 10 year bar from rentering the US. After the 10 years is up, it's up to the consular officer in the country issuing the visa to approve entry. They are under no obligation to do so, regardless of whether it's an application for a tourist visa or permanent residency.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:03 AM

1,110 posts, read 673,028 times
Well if they self deport and get on line for legal entry, there's no record of them violating Federal law. Putting their personal accountability of violating the law aside, this approach sounds inexpensive and effective.

The net result would be having millions of people on the correct, legal side of our borders waiting to enter legally, at a manageable rate. That is exactly what a majority of our legal citizens want, yes?

But here's the rub... The only thing I'd be concerned about are the lefties who may use this as an opportunity. They could invoke Federal powers to extradite the absconders from Mexico, bringing them back to the States, and letting them go with a future trial date.

Sorry if the extradition bit sounds bleak but knowing the character of the minority who would consider themselves opposed to systematic deportation: I wouldn't put this option past them and on the surface it appears that they might be within their legal rights to act on it.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:33 PM

22,481 posts, read 12,018,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Well if they self deport and get on line for legal entry, there's no record of them violating Federal law. Putting their personal accountability of violating the law aside, this approach sounds inexpensive and effective.

The net result would be having millions of people on the correct, legal side of our borders waiting to enter legally, at a manageable rate. That is exactly what a majority of our legal citizens want, yes?

But here's the rub... The only thing I'd be concerned about are the lefties who may use this as an opportunity. They could invoke Federal powers to extradite the absconders from Mexico, bringing them back to the States, and letting them go with a future trial date.

Sorry if the extradition bit sounds bleak but knowing the character of the minority who would consider themselves opposed to systematic deportation: I wouldn't put this option past them and on the surface it appears that they might be within their legal rights to act on it.

Per the bolded --- There may well be a record of them violating federal or state laws. For example, they may have engaged in ID theft in order to work. Or used a fake SSN, in which case, they engaged in tax evasion.

Otherwise, I agree with you that the left will fight tooth and nail to keep the illegals here.

We have a window of opportunity with republicans now being the majority in the house and in the senate to use this time to either expel them or make life so difficult here that they will leave on their own accord.

If Jeff Sessions gets approved to be the next AG, he takes a very hard line against illegal immigration, which is another plus.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:40 PM

1,110 posts, read 673,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- There may well be a record of them violating federal or state laws. For example, they may have engaged in ID theft in order to work. Or used a fake SSN, in which case, they engaged in tax evasion.

Otherwise, I agree with you that the left will fight tooth and nail to keep the illegals here.

We have a window of opportunity with republicans now being the majority in the house and in the senate to use this time to either expel them or make life so difficult here that they will leave on their own accord.

If Jeff Sessions gets approved to be the next AG, he takes a very hard line against illegal immigration, which is another plus.
Boy, Sessions as AG would make some head explode... Fingers crossed.

I think tracing them back to a prior violation might be difficult in most cases.

Let's say my name is Clark and I come here illegally. I purchase an identity under the name Henry. Apply for a job as Henry and I'm hired as Henry. Unless Henry was actually caught and processed (as Clark), I can't see how 'Clark' could be flagged in immigration screening.

If I wanted them back in the States as badly as I think we need them out (as in 'If I were a lefty') I'd setup a process to spread the word to Mexico... Anyone who wants to come to the States, please write to a pre-determined lefty judge stating 'My name is X and I did something illegal in the US. Lefty judge uses the letter to start the extradition process (taxpayers dime). Extradited is bought back to the States (taxpayers dime), I shake their hand, set up a court date 18 months in the future (taxpayers dime/ no need to show up BTW wink wink) hand them fifty dollars (Soros?) and tell them to have a nice life.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:50 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,183,035 times
Quote:

The beauty is that we get them out of the country. Provided they're drug-free, disease-free and crime-free, you can let them back in for a price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration