Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2017, 04:45 PM

166 posts, read 117,613 times

Advertisements

This headline: The looming conflict between Trump’s immigration sweeps and religious freedom
The looming conflict between Trump
"What makes places of worship uniquely appealing on that list, of course, is that they alone are part of the long tradition of seeking sanctuary. The concept, established more than 1,700 years ago in the Theodosian Code of 392 A.D., upholds tenets offered in the Bible. Exodus 22:21 — part of the delineation of laws following the Ten Commandments — implores readers to not mistreat or oppress foreigners. Deuteronomy 27:19 declares that those who deny justice to foreigners, orphans and widows should be cursed.
Churches, in other words, may act to protect immigrants out of a sense of religious obligation. And that is where things might get tricky for the Trump administration."

First of all, it is highly doubtful these above passages apply to lawbreakers. Turning lawbreakers over to the authorities could hardly be deemed to mistreat, oppress, or deny justice. Seems that justice would be served.

I am all for religious freedom but I don't see how that applies to protecting someone who broke the law when they illegally entered our country and committed crimes after they got here. That should be a violation of conscience. I wonder how those churches who want to defy the government get around these scriptures in the bible.

Romans 13:1-7 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.
This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

1 Peter 2:13-14 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right.

Last edited by It'sadryheat; 02-12-2017 at 05:16 PM..

Old 02-12-2017, 05:13 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,506,873 times
Don't over analyze it. I think it's far more simpler as they are just looking for more followers. Follow the $.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:32 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,993,587 times
...it's all about the cake....

Old 02-12-2017, 06:29 PM

166 posts, read 117,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Don't over analyze it. I think it's far more simpler as they are just looking for more followers. Follow the $.
I can't help it. I am very analytical by nature. I hate to see scriptures or any other reference taken out of context to justify someone's behavior as is what is happening with some of these sanctuary churches. The left chooses to ignore some things when it goes against their agenda. But other times they want to quote it and twist it to try to make it suit their purposes and shame others who disagree with them.

I'll just leave it at that. I don't want to get off track.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:30 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,506,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sadryheat View Post
I can't help it. I am very analytical by nature. I hate to see scriptures or any other reference taken out of context to justify someone's behavior as is what is happening with some of these sanctuary churches. The left chooses to ignore some things when it goes against their agenda. But other times they want to quote it and twist it to try to make it suit their purposes and shame others who disagree with them.

I'll just leave it at that. I don't want to get off track.
I hear you as I'm the same, very analytical.....worked as a programmer/systems analyst/DB administrator, etc. so it runs in my blood too.

But yes, when it comes to power and money, it is unfortunate to say the least this goes on but I've found it to be standard fare these days in matters like this. And looking at the history of more than a few of these institutions, it's typical behavior really/not surprising to me what's going on. Many people/groups will sell their own grandmother if there's enough power/influence/money in it and I believe that's the sad reality.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,756,160 times
I'm going to close this right now, before it goes really bad.
OP, you can contact me about it if you need an explanation why.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration