Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 PM

1,059 posts, read 831,002 times

Advertisements

This is from Bill Clinton's 1995 State of the Union Address. Frankly, I was very surprised, not only for the subject matter but for the succinct presentation.

All Americans, not only in the states most heavily affected but in every place in this country, are rightly disturbed by the large numbers of illegal aliens entering our country. The jobs they hold might otherwise be held by citizens or legal immigrants. The public service they use impose burdens on our taxpayers. That's why our administration has moved aggressively to secure our borders more by hiring a record number of new border guards, by deporting twice as many criminal aliens as ever before, by cracking down on illegal hiring, by barring welfare benefits to illegal aliens. In the budget I will present to you, we will try to do more to speed the deportation of illegal aliens who are arrested for crimes, to better identify illegal aliens in the workplace as recommended by the commission headed by former Congresswoman Barbara Jordan. We are a nation of immigrants. But we are also a nation of laws. It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years, and we must do more to stop it.

I was against illegal immigration back in 1995 but do not remember Clinton speaking about it. Does anyone else recall?

Here we are 22 years later. Funny, Trump said almost the exactly same thing (well, on the subject matter, not in the way it was spoken).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 12:33 PM

1,743 posts, read 992,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
This is from Bill Clinton's 1995 State of the Union Address. Frankly, I was very surprised, not only for the subject matter but for the succinct presentation.

I was against illegal immigration back in 1995 but do not remember Clinton speaking about it. Does anyone else recall?

Here we are 22 years later. Funny, Trump said almost the exactly same thing (well, on the subject matter, not in the way it was spoken).

Old 02-01-2017, 11:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Dems pushed a very leftist agenda too hard and too fast and tried to get everyone to agree it was wonderful when half the country was scratching their heads over it all. Honestly, pushing too hard and fast is what gets everyone in trouble and is why those same Dems are throwing a fit right how. It was a sudden stop and they are suffering from severe whiplash.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:46 AM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
To many the Clintons can do no wrong. Seriously this country was so close to electing a proven liar, scandal ridden woman that should have been running from the police not running for office. The only reason she dodged justice and was allowed to run was because her last name was Clinton.

Trump is despised and hated on the Left and no matter what he does that is not going to change.

It is rather surprising that the Left didn't accuse Trump of plagiarizing Clintons speech from 1995.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:50 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Dems pushed a very leftist agenda too hard and too fast and tried to get everyone to agree it was wonderful when half the country was scratching their heads over it all. Honestly, pushing too hard and fast is what gets everyone in trouble and is why those same Dems are throwing a fit right how. It was a sudden stop and they are suffering from severe whiplash.

Well put. Yes, the silent majority finally woke up and said, no more. Our country was heading in the wrong direction with all this so-called progressive nonsense that included advocating for illegal immigration.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:17 AM

1,743 posts, read 992,260 times
You can add Obama to the list.

[

Old 02-02-2017, 10:01 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Today's liberals have become traitors of America and of America's values and laws. Liberals are very far from the mainstream.

The sooner that everybody realizes this the better.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I was a Clinton supporter and voted for him in 1996. I agreed with his statement on illegal immigration then, and despite not being a Trump voter I agree with Trump's statements on illegal immigration now.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:35 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7AXizmhgi0

Old 02-03-2017, 03:00 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times
No one is for illegal immigrants. I am a democrat and an immigrant & I support deportation of illegal immigrants. That is not the problem we have with Trump. The problem I/we have with Trump is

1) Building a very expensive wall to keep illegals out. That is dumb. That will cost too much which could be used elsewhere
2) Banning legal permanent residence and legal visa holders from entering USA over night just because they are from certain ethnicity
3) Treating all immigrants from certain part of the world is illegal immigrants when majority are here legally
4) Forcing local law enforcement to do federal immigrants police job = going after sanctuary cities. Ain't nobody got time for that. Our local police should be busy solving local problem before spending their time on immigration status of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration