Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:43 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,113,200 times

Advertisements

In Los Angles Americans used to work dry wall, janitorial, carpentry, fast food, cooks, etc. Illegals pretty much dominate all those trades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 03:57 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,100,020 times
When I lived in Oregon they worked the fields all the way through the season. They will work the orchards and landscaping.
Salem Oregon his very high in Immigrants from Mexico. Portland Oregon has Russian,
and Romanians own almost all of the foster Homes, the ones from Viet Nam own most of the nail salons.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:03 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,223,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
So basically Americans are just going to sit back on unemployment until employers start wanting them back?
Let me put it this way: I have paid quite a bit of $$$ into unemployment over the years and collected it but once--------for a total of about 8 weeks till I secured another job

And; durng that period of time I was scouring the state of Arizona looking for work in my trained field.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
When I lived in Oregon they worked the fields all the way through the season. They will work the orchards and landscaping.
Salem Oregon his very high in Immigrants from Mexico. Portland Oregon has Russian,
and Romanians own almost all of the foster Homes, the ones from Viet Nam own most of the nail salons.
I too lived in Oregon (Springfield) in 1990 and suffice to say: I was being $6.00 an hour learning how to do brake and automotive alignment work.

All well and good; but, my employer was not willing to raise my wages to prevailing standards once I had my training under my belt.

Needless to say: I left that state for Arizona where I have done much better.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I too lived in Oregon (Springfield) in 1990 and suffice to say: I was being $6.00 an hour learning how to do brake and automotive alignment work.

All well and good; but, my employer was not willing to raise my wages to prevailing standards once I had my training under my belt.

Needless to say: I left that state for Arizona where I have done much better.
Yeah, you were really close to Eugene then. There were no jobs there either?
Well, the weather as you know is much better than Oregon any day.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Yeah, you were really close to Eugene then. There were no jobs there either?
Well, the weather as you know is much better than Oregon any day.
I worked in Eugene.

With all due respect to Oregon; I have no desire to live/visit there again with the possible exception of the coast.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I worked in Eugene.

With all due respect to Oregon; I have no desire to live/visit there again with the possible exception of the coast.
I agree the coast is the best part of that state.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,878,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The point is, without the millions of illegals, the American worker would only have to work one job to bring home the bacon, and maybe with the extra time he just might be able to spend it with his family.......you know those family values those politians keep talking about? Those just aren't for the rich. Or thier illegal Guatamalan nannies.
The other thing is that without dirt-cheap taxpayer subsidized labor, machines would be developed.

A big problem is that no one, not even illegals can reasonably live on the very low wages paid. Migrant workers where may earn $8000 a year, partly because farm work is seasonal, but they are not supporting their families on those wages.

Obviously many Americans aren't going to quit a $10 an hour paying job to do seasonal farm work for less per hour, and most Americans don't think if they work full time that they should have to live off food stamps and other welfare handouts.

Necessity is the mother of all invention, and unlimited illegal immigration is creating an overabundance of third world labor that dampens the need for invention and innovation.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:01 AM

27,200 posts, read 46,767,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
There has been a lot of rhetoric here in this forum, lot of whining and blaming, but no real achievements.

Let's get down to brass tacks, where's the hard evidence depicting Americans attempting to take the jobs back from the illegals? Grab a bunch of Americans and head to the companies that hire illegals then apply for those jobs, thus putting the illegals out of work. If the company denies an American the job, sue them.

Seems pretty easy to me, so where are the pictures of Americans lining up? I want to see Americans out picking strawberries.
You know...all this talk of "illegal"/"legal" is really rhetorical. WHY should ANY immigrant be able to come into this country and get employment?

Old 04-02-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You know...all this talk of "illegal"/"legal" is really rhetorical. WHY should ANY immigrant be able to come into this country and get employment?
This really doesn't answer Mach50's question, that I thought was a good one.
Sassy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration