Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 12:19 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There is no evidence that Trump and his supporters are only concerned about protecting white women that's just biased race baiting and not a lick of truth to it. There is also no need to mention the skin color of illegal aliens either as that's also race baiting. Bringing race or skin color into this issue serves no purpose and is irrelevant.

I agree this partial observer guy really went after me in another thread calling me a racist when it seems that it is he that has a problem with people who are not white.

I think he is just trying to stir it up and make some trouble while contributing little to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 12:28 PM

1,199 posts, read 639,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A few years ago Pew estimated that only 2% of illegal aliens were working in the AG industry. They have since updated it to between 3-4% still a relatively small number compared to the other industries that illegal aliens work in.

"But as a share of all the jobs held by illegal immigrants in the country, farming does indeed represent a small percentage".

"About 3 percent of illegal immigrants were working in farming and related sectors, according to Pew, which was well below the percentage working in service occupations (33 percent), construction and extractive jobs (17 percent), production, installation and repair (16 percent) and transportation and moving (8 percent). A subsequent Pew study pegged the number working in farming and related sectors slightly higher, at 4 percent".
Thanks for pulling that up. But if it's true that Pew updated the numbers to 4%, and you have access to this information, then why were you citing an old Pew study putting the numbers at 2%?

Old 09-04-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Read through this topic - two posters explicitly stated they blamed Obama - Partial Observer and Cape Cod Todd.
Yeah, but only one of those guys was serious.

It's a testament to how absurd the right-wing talking points are that a sarcastic post about Obama flying in illegals on Air Force Three comes across as a sincerely held belief.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I agree this partial observer guy really went after me in another thread calling me a racist when it seems that it is he that has a problem with people who are not white.

I think he is just trying to stir it up and make some trouble while contributing little to the discussion.
I'm sorry you were offended. I understand that some people just come to this site for affirmation of their pre-existing beliefs, and being challenged on those beliefs is scary.

But I'm having trouble following your logic re: the bolded. I favor more tolerant immigration policies, the Black Lives Matter movement, better training for police officers, not assuming that all Muslims are terrorists, etc. You have voiced opposition to all those things. If anything, it sounds like I have a problem with people who are white.

You could come up with many ways to attack me that are valid, but "I don't have a problem with brown people, you do" is just lazy and illogical. You can be better than that.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:01 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Thanks for pulling that up. But if it's true that Pew updated the numbers to 4%, and you have access to this information, then why were you citing an old Pew study putting the numbers at 2%?
Because my old link no longer worked after you asked for proof of my remarks and after searching once again I found that they had updated their stats. The fact still remains though that only a small percentage of illegal aliens are working in the AG industry.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:12 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
Quote:
Sorry, I don't think you're capable of rational discussion, because you're more concerned with defending your post than accepting that this is a more complex problem than you've suggested.

I said you were off-base in representing yourself as a "softie" when it comes to immigrant children. That was absolutely correct, as evidenced by your latest post. Your solution wasn't to take in the mothers and children (which is what a "softie" would do). Your solution was this:

So they're not your problem. Understood, Mr. Softie.

You seem to have misunderstood the dynamic at play here. Conservatives have been using the "bad hombre" victimizes "pretty white girl" angle to drum up outrage and push Trump's wall agenda.

Direct quote from Trump's West Virginia rally (about Mollie Tibbetts):

"You heard about today with the illegal alien coming in, very sadly, from Mexico and you saw what happened to that incredible, beautiful young woman."

Direct quote from a Trump campaign event in 2015 (about Kate Steinle):

"I am so proud of the fact that I got dialogue started on illegal immigration. … Beautiful Kate in San Francisco was shot by an illegal who was here five times and they couldn’t do anything about it."

Yes, there are black people and ugly people in American who deserve to be protected, but they aren't as interesting to Trump and his base, because nothing brings out the "softie" in you like a young, attractive white girl who had her whole life ahead of her.
Boy do you not comprehend my post.

First of all, I am not defending my post. It needs no defense.

Next, I said that there is no softie way to defend our country. Not sure where you got the idea that I was calling myself a softie.

The mother's and children who want to come here have to come the right way. Being female isn't an excuse for breaking our laws.
'
If it is proved that the lives of mother's and children is in danger, then by all means I would hope that we would help them in some way.

How do we determine if their lives are truly in danger? How long does it take to investigate that?

As for rational discussion, rational goes out the window when a leftie tries to join any discussions about non Americans and anti American illegals. Americans will never come first with them.

Yes, an illegal who shouldn't have been here killed a pretty white girl. Pretty white Americans deserve to be protected as well.
No American should make any apology for wanting that.

President Trump is right for publicizing what is going on with these illegals here in our country. The American people have the right to know.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:33 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Blaming Obama for this is ridiculous as it was occuring in much larger numbers before he was in office. Plus he deported more people than Trump.
Nope.

Obama did no such thing. In fact, that claim has been debunked a long time ago.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...dhs-chief-say/

Old 09-04-2018, 05:06 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
I blame Obama. I read somewhere reputable that many of these immigrants were flown into the country on Air Force Three and given pamphlets on how to vote illegally.
Tell me more!

Old 09-04-2018, 07:56 PM

1,015 posts, read 787,181 times
Because the media brainwashes people into thinking illegal immigrants are here because they are poor and they need our help and America should have open borders and welcome everyone in with open arms. Who ever disagrees is a racist.

A girl on twitter had this bright idea that the Govt should fill every empty house with homeless people and give them a check every month. Then they should make College free and health care and take care of illegals and Syrian refugees. I asked her how the Govt is going to pay for all this? She said cut back on Military spending. I hate that everyone in my age group is obsessed with the USA providing for the whole world and giving out free hand outs to everyone.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:07 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
Because the media brainwashes people into thinking illegal immigrants are here because they are poor and they need our help and America should have open borders and welcome everyone in with open arms. Who ever disagrees is a racist.

A girl on twitter had this bright idea that the Govt should fill every empty house with homeless people and give them a check every month. Then they should make College free and health care and take care of illegals and Syrian refugees. I asked her how the Govt is going to pay for all this? She said cut back on Military spending. I hate that everyone in my age group is obsessed with the USA providing for the whole world and giving out free hand outs to everyone.
I agree with the cutting back on military spending part. Borrowing more money from China to cover our budget deficit is a larger threat to our national security than anything covered by our bloated defense spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration