Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 04:11 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
If they aren’t immigrants than what are they?
Citizens of whichever country they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 04:14 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:

The lawful immigration term for them is illegal aliens. If you're going to use the word "immigrant" then at least use the word illegal in front of it to decipher between those who come here legally and those who do not. Otherwise it just blurs those lines. Illegal aliens aren't plain ole immigrants.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:36 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
Why is it so hard to understand that illegal aliens broke the law, period. If a U.S. citizen breaks the law, he/she pays the price. We must abide by our laws. Why should illegal aliens be treated differently? If you come here illegally, you should be shown the door. If you want to be here bad enough, do it the legal way. Lots of people do.
As someone who has done/is doing it the legal way, you should take a long hard look at how expensive and difficult the "right" way is. If once you do that, I guarantee you'll understand the need for comprehensive immigration reform.
I don't agree with illegal immigration, but I do understand it.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:42 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
Why is it so hard to understand that illegal aliens broke the law, period. If a U.S. citizen breaks the law, he/she pays the price. We must abide by our laws. Why should illegal aliens be treated differently? If you come here illegally, you should be shown the door. If you want to be here bad enough, do it the legal way. Lots of people do.
Why is it so hard to understand that at the end of the day we are merely talking about status and in an extremely ineffective and broken system. Alot of times we are talking about good people who work hard, pay taxes and contribute positively to the economy and American society as a whole...and at no fault of their own the gov’t can’t get it’s **** together. The government mismanages pretty much everything else so is it that hard to believe that they are at least partially culpable in alot of these situations. It’s a big gray area in a complex issue. The black-and-white explanation simply does not reflect reality.

Meanwhile when it comes to drug addicts nobody can effectively argue that they benefit society. Show them the door and let someone else deal....

Old 10-09-2018, 05:26 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Quote:
Why is it so hard to understand that at the end of the day we are merely talking about status and in an extremely ineffective and broken system. Alot of times we are talking about good people who work hard, pay taxes and contribute positively to the economy and American society as a whole...and at no fault of their own the gov’t can’t get it’s **** together. The government mismanages pretty much everything else so is it that hard to believe that they are at least partially culpable in alot of these situations. It’s a big gray area in a complex issue. The black-and-white explanation simply does not reflect reality.

Meanwhile when it comes to drug addicts nobody can effectively argue that they benefit society. Show them the door and let someone else deal....
There are good people that want to work hard everywhere in the world. The immigration system allows you to apply for legal migration and prove that you are hard working and good people, oh and won't be a burden on our society by not being an unskilled, uneducated, poor person. There is nothing ineffective about the immigration laws, people don't like them because they would never qualify otherwise. No country in the world wants mass influx of uneducated, unskilled, poor people, not even a little. This is a simple fact. Every country in the world has immigration laws for this reason, including Mexico. Even India, one of the poorest countries, has to control immigration.

I don't know why you keep bringing up kicking out Americans. Even if I agreed with you it means nothing. Actually it means so little, where would you "show them the door" to? Do you want to dump them in the Mariana's Trench? Ship them in a rocket to the sun?

Old 10-09-2018, 05:29 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Quote:
They never immigrated into the country, they are illegal aliens. They get deported when caught. This is like the most basic concept.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
As someone who has done/is doing it the legal way, you should take a long hard look at how expensive and difficult the "right" way is. If once you do that, I guarantee you'll understand the need for comprehensive immigration reform.
I don't agree with illegal immigration, but I do understand it.

But CIR is only a code term for amnesty. It's simply rewarding those who come here illegally. Regardless of how difficult it is to come here legally that doesn't excuse it. Most coming here illegally would be rejected anyway as they are the poor, needy, unskilled and uneducated that we don't need and are a burden to our society. I personally don't understand breaking the law and taking from others what doesn't belong to you.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:

Our system weeds out those who would be a burden to our society so I'd say that's being effective. We also have annual quotas for legal immigration to keep our population growth in check. It takes a lot of resources to sustain a given population. It doesn't matter how hard one wants to work if we don't have any jobs for them and we end up supplementing them with our tax dollars. Those low wage earners with several dependents don't owe income taxes.

Are you suggesting that we deport American drug addicts? Where to? Sorry, but that's not possible as they are citizens of this country and need to get help for their addiction so that they in turn would be productive members of our society.

Status in our country legal vs illegal is not something that should be merely brushed off and treated as it's not a big deal. Our immigration laws are a big deal and for good reasons.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:13 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Our system weeds out those who would be a burden to our society so I'd say that's being effective. We also have annual quotas for legal immigration to keep our population growth in check. It takes a lot of resources to sustain a given population. It doesn't matter how hard one wants to work if we don't have any jobs for them and we end up supplementing them with our tax dollars. Those low wage earners with several dependents don't owe income taxes.

Are you suggesting that we deport American drug addicts? Where to? Sorry, but that's not possible as they are citizens of this country and need to get help for their addiction so that they in turn would be productive members of our society.

Status in our country legal vs illegal is not something that should be merely brushed off and treated as it's not a big deal. Our immigration laws are a big deal and for good reasons.
It’s merely a rebuttal to the countless posts I read on here telling me that illegal immigrants are a drain on society and contribute nothing yet there are millions of cases of immigrants working two restaurant jobs at 80 hours a week to help support their family (same goes for meat packing plants, roofers, landscapers and a multitude of other hard working, dirty jobs that I would never do). These guys are many times more valuable than 25 million drug addicts, 7 million incarcerated/on parole, and probably 30 million others that are deadbeats, degenerates and con-artists (AKA the ‘self-made’ billionaire in office).

Old 10-09-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
It’s merely a rebuttal to the countless posts I read on here telling me that illegal immigrants are a drain on society and contribute nothing yet there are millions of cases of immigrants working two restaurant jobs at 80 hours a week to help support their family (same goes for meat packing plants, roofers, landscapers and a multitude of other hard working, dirty jobs that I would never do). These guys are many times more valuable than 25 million drug addicts, 7 million incarcerated/on parole, and probably 30 million others that are deadbeats, degenerates and con-artists (AKA the ‘self-made’ billionaire in office).

Those are jobs that illegal aliens took from Americans in cahoots with their greedy employers. They contribute $19 billion a year while they cost us over $100 billion a year. A net loss where's the value? The jobs you mentioned have always been done by Americans for a fair wage until they entered the picture. How are they working without using a fake or stolen SS number or evading taxes? Those are felonies. They overcrowd our schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods and deplete our natural and social resources.

Comparing them to American drug addicts is comparing apples to oranges. They aren't remotely related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
View detailed profiles of: