Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 07:04 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Whether they are visa overstayers or not is not important. Maybe they need an ankle monitor put on when they get a Visa so that they can't overstay.

In any case, the effects of their crime are the same whether they come in illegally or overstay illegally- their presence here is illegal.

Look, if its rape when consent is withdrawn, this is the same thing. IF you have a visa, that means the government gave you permission...well when that permission expires, and you're still doing the thing you no longer have permission for - its a crime.

So just like no means no....stop means stop.

Just like sex without permission is called RAPE, immigration without permission, or presence without permission, is invasion...and the RAPE of the American people.
Of course how they get in is important. For goodness sake build a nice 100 foot high wall on the Montana/Saskatchewan border. You really think it will change the illegal alien inflow?

You are incorrect about the criminal part. In general over stayers commit no crime. They are deport-able but there is nothing for which they can be sent to jail. Same thing for kids brought in under 18. When they turn 18 and 1/2 they can be deported...but again nothing for which they can be sent to prison.

So no many of them commit no crime. They are simply deportable. If you are going to deal with this subject at least learn what the rules are.

Having been an illegal alien for various periods of time in a half dozen different countries I understand why the law is this way and why it is not going to change.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:25 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Look, if we want to stop the flow of illegals, it will require a multifaceted approach on many fronts. I am simply commenting on one aspect of it- initial interdiction.

There are already between 11 and 30 million illegals in this country. Are you going to throw them all in the court system and jail?
If the first fifty or one hundred to get prosecuted under my plan receive sentences of one, five or twenty years (HARD time).....how long would it take for that news to reach illegals?? Correct: three minutes.
And then most of them would vamoose.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Now, the punishment??? Well, I think we need to look into why they're flooding over here. The government should focus on foreign relations. Trump is now scratching the surface ridding us of NAFTA which was a big reason Mexicans lost money and had to find work elsewhere. He's starting on Venezuela now.

Those who hire them need jail time.

They're running from poverty, they won't mind an American prison as their life is hell. The rest of them are cartel and MM. They are used to it, and they should be back in jail.
I said HARD time......bread and water, chain gangs, that kind of thing.
I agree about imprisoning thise who hire them.
I don't care about your "foreign relations" and sob stories.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
I don't see it any more cruel that being killed by a legal citizen. It is true that illegal immigrants rate of crime is a little higher than average. However, overall they're still a small part of all murders, I don't have the exact figure, but they are probably 5% of all murders in states with lots of illegal immigrants.

I was talking about the pain caused by illegal immigrants, I agree with you that it is a crime, but the act of sneaking in another country does not cause pain on anyone.

I have more sympathy for people whose livelihood are really destroyed. The Nafta trade deal of 1994 caused millions of people in Mexico to lose their livelihoods, and all wages to drop. That is when immigration from Mexico skyrocketed. All poor countries are conned into these deals.

Those who have lost their livelihoods in Mexico and the US, or any country for that matter have more in common with each other, than with those in corporations and financial institutions that have compounded this problem for higher profits.
I guess leftists have no other way of viewing things than in the collective sense. If your child just got killed by someone who shouldn't evn be here in the first place, then logic dictates that your child would still be alive in that moment if that person were not here. (Stay with me.....you can do it). I swear that if a leftist like yourself witnessed your child being mowed down by an illlegal, your only reaction would be to look up a statistic or go get a book on the sociology of that illegal's country.....weird.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Republicans just love throwing people in prison. They especially love incarcerating non-violent offenders because they are the most profitable for the private prison industry.
Nah, I just believe in having a country (you know----a real, actual country instead of the pseudo-one we have now). And I believe in the rule of law.
Leftists believe in neither.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Won't locking people up in prison cost more ? It costs at least $100 per day to house a minimum security prisoner. That's 36.5k per year.

so under your plan its going to cost us min of 36.5k up to 730k to lock up an "illegal"

Not to mention where are we going to get all this prison space ? We will have to build more prisons.

Now if you want to stop the flow of "illegals" you make those penalties apply to employers.

When a few CEO's go to the big house for a year the rest will fall in line.
Do you have any idea how much illegals cost us already??? Probably not.

Not too many will have to get these new sentences, before the rest hear the news and clear out.
Plus, I said hard time. Nothing fancy.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Utter and complete nonsense. We are someplace between 5X and 10X light on the size of the immigration force what we would need to actually deport the present illegal aliens.

And if we ever staffed up and took the 15 or 20 years it would take to do it we would then have this monstrous and useless immigration force. You really think the Feds are going to lay them all off when the illegals are gone?

And none of that will ever happen. Simply no place near the required support.

So we need to legalize enough to get the remaining illegals well down under a million. And then we need to tightly enforce our immigration laws. Success is when no illegal can last 6 months.
No legalization. Not for even ONE of them.
One year, five years, twenty years. HARD time.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Well they say keeping a person in prison costs the taxpayers something like $60,000 a year. So unless you are a prison owner, administrator or guard, imprisoning illegal aliens makes no sense whatsoever.
Of course it does. We are a country again.
Some countries have executed illegals.....would you prefer that?

Old 10-10-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Ever read the Constitution? Has this thing about cruel and unusual.

And practically what tasks are you going to give them that are useful but do not take work from a citizen?

In fact such things as making prison furniture or license plates does deprive some non prisoner of work.
What YOU call cruel and unusual is far, far from what most people would. Are you a bleeding-heart liberal??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration