Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:40 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times

Advertisements

One final thought, Sassyone, in case you were wondering...neither I, (nor, I suspect, ANY decent person..on this forum or elsewhere)....would condone a group of racists, ruffians, and assorted "good ol' boys", whose chief form of entertainment would be to load up their pickup truck with cold beer, head out into the heat of the desert in sumertime, and pass the day teasing, annoying, and harrassing thirsty, deperate, heat-crazed illegals, as they pass by on foot. If THIS IS GOING ON (and I suspect it's pretty rare), then let me, right here, assure you that there must be a special corner of Hell just waiting for such people. I will go along with you in condemning that behavior and all those who practice it. As far as the rest of the 'inhumanity", though, it's just not that clear to me.

This is exactly what I was talking about, but not rare enough and they do not only cross in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 10:47 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
One final thought, Sassyone, in case you were wondering...neither I, (nor, I suspect, ANY decent person..on this forum or elsewhere)....would condone a group of racists, ruffians, and assorted "good ol' boys", whose chief form of entertainment would be to load up their pickup truck with cold beer, head out into the heat of the desert in sumertime, and pass the day teasing, annoying, and harrassing thirsty, deperate, heat-crazed illegals, as they pass by on foot. If THIS IS GOING ON (and I suspect it's pretty rare), then let me, right here, assure you that there must be a special corner of Hell just waiting for such people. I will go along with you in condemning that behavior and all those who practice it. As far as the rest of the 'inhumanity", though, it's just not that clear to me.

This is exactly what I was talking about, but not rare enough and they do not only cross in the summer.
Ok. Ok....I STILL condemn such behavior, even if it happens in the SPRING. And even if they're not drinking beer, but Evian Water. THat sort of inhumanity, I definitely condemn.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:57 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Replace against and replace not for. It is not up to me to guard the borders with a cell phone in hand to alert the Border Patrol and I can guarantee you that it will not do it. To me they are human beings and should be treated as such. If you disagree with that, it is your problem and not mine. If the goverment wants to build a fence, fine I have no problem with it.
Like I said, we are NOT going to agree, nuff said.
Agree with what?,,,,,,,I'm just trying to understand where your at,,,,,,,,,and from what you've been saying, here's how I see it, Please,,,,correct me if I'm wrong.................

In other words, your the "sympathetic by-stander". Yes,,they are "human beings",, but noone (in this country) forced them to break the law by entering this country Illegaly. Which in some cases called for risking their own lives,including their children and families lives by crossing a desert and/or a river. If any,,,the sympathy should be aimed toward their children and NOT the parents.
But I've yet to see where the "inhumanity" comes in on our part.(?) Can you explain that for me?
Why do you blame us for their ignorance?
It doesn't matter why they're coming here or where they're coming from,,,,,,,they're entering this country "illegally". So if you want to be in the argument,,,,,,,your sympathy should take a side seat instead of playing 2 side against the middle.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:03 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Agree with what?,,,,,,,I'm just trying to understand where your at,,,,,,,,,and from what you've been saying, here's how I see it, Please,,,,correct me if I'm wrong.................

In other words, your the "sympathetic by-stander". Yes,,they are "human beings",, but noone (in this country) forced them to break the law by entering this country Illegaly. Which in some cases called for risking their own lives,including their children and families lives by crossing a desert and/or a river. If any,,,the sympathy should be aimed toward their children and NOT the parents.
But I've yet to see where the "inhumanity" comes in on our part.(?) Can you explain that for me?
Why do you blame us for their ignorance?
It doesn't matter why they're coming here or where they're coming from,,,,,,,they're entering this country "illegally". So if you want to be in the argument,,,,,,,your sympathy should take a side seat instead of playing 2 side against the middle.
Try this link...I'm talking about human rights period, you do not live in this par of the country so I don't expect you to understand

Border Action Network - U.S. Responds to Border Action Charges of Ignoring Human Rights Abuses Committed by Border Vigilante (http://www.borderaction.org/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=208&Item id=32 - broken link)

Old 04-05-2008, 11:08 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Try this link...I'm talking about human rights period, you do not live in this par of the country so I don't expect you to understand

Border Action Network - U.S. Responds to Border Action Charges of Ignoring Human Rights Abuses Committed by Border Vigilante (http://www.borderaction.org/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=208&Item id=32 - broken link)
If the part of the country your talking about is Southern California, I lived there for over 35 years, until 07/2007, when I moved to Oklahoma.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:14 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
If the part of the country your talking about is Southern California, I lived there for over 35 years, until 07/2007, when I moved to Oklahoma.
sassyone lives in southern Arizona.

And; my state is damn near as unfriendly to illegal immigrants as Oklahoma--------which is a beautiful thing

Evidently; most of the border crossers who 'survive' running the gauntlet get out of Az as fast as possible.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:26 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:

Once again, (and we've been over this before) while few people would advocate inhumanity or violence, the fact that NO ONE seems to want to address (including Geroge Bush, the 'decider'), is this...
VIGILANTES (such as they are) are roused into action, at such times as the "Legitimate" Authorities, who are SUPPOSED to be 'on the job', quit DOING that job. Vigilantes are not SUPPOSED to be doing what they do---and neither are illegal immigrants. It's a situation that's out of control,and ALL of us ought to be ashamed that this is happening, in (supposedly) the "richest" nation on earth. What we're telling the world, in essence, is that "we simply cannot regulate our OWN BORDER (though we do fine in Iraq and Afghanistan), and we're upset now, because some frustrated private citizens have been drawn into the fray"...this sounds like a JOKE, but it's the sad reality.

It's like frustrated people finally getting "fed up" with the drug dealers on their street corner..so they 'rough them up', and 'run them off"...Sad? perhaps. Violent? maybe. But why didn't the 'cops' step in, long BEFORE this happened, and get rid of the drug pushers the 'right' way? Nobody wants to comment.

The border is a similar situation. There shouldn't BE any vigilantes, because there shouldn't BE anyone crossing the border illegally. But since the folks who are paid to control such activity either CAN not, WILL not, or have been ORDERED not to do their job, we can hardly feel 'shocked" when a few frustrated people show up to TRY to do the job for them.

The people in charge of this mess should hang their heads in shame..but "shame" is in increasingly short supply these days. MEANWHILE, it's hardly surprising to ME that the 'vigilantes' show up. And, being vigilantes, we aren't able to 'screen them'...maybe a few 'bad apples' do slip through.

Know what I'D LIKE to see ?..I'd like to see the END of all vigilante activity...which could probably very easily be accomplished, when, and if, the proper authorities ever decide to do the job that we pay them to do...that is, stopping people from entering the US illegally.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:50 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,329 times
Quote:

Funny thing about the website you posted, they've got ONE documented case of abuse (which was sketchy, at best) in which the LONE perpetrator LOST HIS RANCH to the illegals involved.

I'd like to see some PROOF that the Minutemen are commiting 'human rights violations' while sitting in lawn chairs with binoculars and cellphones.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:11 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
I'm singin'
Elvira, Elvira
My heart's on fire, Elvira

Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow
Round 'em up and send 'em back to Mexico right now
Heigh-ho illegals, away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration