Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 11:10 PM

658 posts, read 721,307 times

Advertisements

Since I did the immigration application for my hubby and paid a couple thousand bucks for the privilege while he had to get biometrics, background check, driving record, record of all past residences and jobs, medical exam and vaccinations (he couldn't find his original proof so he got all the shots again for good measure) and we also had to show evidence of our bona fide marriage and have a face to face interview with homeland security and the whole thing took MONTHS to complete and I didn't even use a lawyer, I'd like to know what supporters of illegal immigration think of people like us who go the legal route.

Are we just idiots who shouldn't have bothered?
Should we now get our money back and be compensated for wasting all that time and paper and expense?

I am really curious because I know firsthand how ridiculous the process is and we did it TWICE because why you ask? Because we're honest, that's why. When we moved to Canada for 3 years we honestly didn't even know about the form we could have filed stating that he'd be living outside the US for a while and when we got to a point where we weren't sure when we'd be coming back to the US, my husband drove to the border and surrendered his green card to the officer voluntarily because that's what the law says you should do.

And when we DID come back to the States we went through the whole. Process. All. Over. Again. Another 1500 bucks, another background check, another round of vaccines (Tex Med clinic refused to give him his proof of vaccination, don't ask why, I'm still livid over it.) another physical exam, another face to face interview. Homeland's file on us is like 3 inches thick. I'm not even KIDDING.

So tell me please why just anyone should be allowed to waltz into the country and stay with all the rights of every citizen and legal immigrant. What makes those people special? Are we just chopped liver?

And would you please start a movement to return all the money paid by legal immigrants then if you truly believe we should not have had to do this whole thing? Because I can really use that $3000+ back honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 07:18 AM

997 posts, read 709,774 times
I have felt the same way. In my case I was a Green Card Holder for 36 years before I dediced to get the Citizenship because of the "2017 Trump travel ban". I come from a country whose citizenship is just as prestigious and accepted as US; thats why I didn't bother to get citizenship earlier. I have paid a lot of money for the legal status. I was vetted thoroughly like you.
Why do would be immigrants think they can demand to be let into the US? The taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for the costs of supporting them/educating their children. I'd love to get my money back.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:37 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
OP, I'm sorry for your experience. I wonder just how many supporters of illegal immigration would like it if they were standing in line at an event for hours and someone cut in front of them, and got in free. They'd probably be livid and they would be entitled to feel that way.

I don't blame legal immigrants for feeling upset - they have every right to feel that way. Time to enforce the immigration laws to the fullest extent, plus eliminate birthright citizenship. Between that and the hiring of illegals those are the biggest draws to invading the US. Eliminate that, and our problem would be a lot more manageable.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:38 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
I'm not necessarily an illegal immigration supporter, but I have great empathy/admiration for immigrants who risk everything to come here. Their spirit is what makes the country great.

The difference here between you and illegals, is you have the opportunity to do it legally in a very short period of time, and for little money. MONTHS and 3K is quick, and cheap. People from south America often pay more than 3K just to ride in a coyote's stifling truck and then be dropped in the desert climate of south Texas with no legal status and no water.

You must have education and marketable skills? People without specific job training and upper level skills have no legal path, unless they can apply for asylum and prove they are specifically targeted by their governments for violence.

South/Central Americans with no education and no skills besides a willingness to work have no path to citizenship. None. No matter how many years they wait in Mexico/somewhere south of here for legal status to begin the citizenship process.

I don't know what to do about the problem, but I do know enough about it to say, for those who are coming over illegally, there is no legal path for them. So it makes specious your argument that they should all just do what you did, which is come legally.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:07 AM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
OP, I'm sorry for your experience. I wonder just how many supporters of illegal immigration would like it if they were standing in line at an event for hours and someone cut in front of them, and got in free. They'd probably be livid and they would be entitled to feel that way.

I don't blame legal immigrants for feeling upset - they have every right to feel that way. Time to enforce the immigration laws to the fullest extent, plus eliminate birthright citizenship. Between that and the hiring of illegals those are the biggest draws to invading the US. Eliminate that, and our problem would be a lot more manageable.
Amen.

OP, Legal immigration is what this nation is all about.

And it should be a difficult process, as the reward you reap at the end is so spectacular.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:01 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
My wife is an immigrant that after years of trying finally got her green card. This was all before we met. She has a lot of sympathy for the caravan migrants but she thinks it is wrong that they are expecting to force their way into America and pressure our elected for Rights.

She thought it was disgusting when Obama listened to and supported illegal aliens while ignoring citizens.

The "refugees" are claiming that they are fleeing gangs and threats of violence and somehow we are supposed to take them in and protect them BUT don't we have thousands of families living in dangerous inner cities where crime is rampant and drugs and the accompanying violence is prevalent? Don't we have a responsibility to help these families before helping ones that are thousands of miles away?

It really is wrong that a group can bypass countries that are willing to help them in the hopes that they can reach America where the Dems have practically promised them amnesty.

We have immigration laws for a reason and skipping the line is wrong and it is a real slap in the face to those that followed the laws to see our elected bending over backwards for those that chose to break the law.

We all need to remember this come election day.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:59 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Thanks to Everyone who has followed OUR Laws

The Democrats have had many opportunities to correct
this issue but failed to do so because of the " Added " stuff
they wanted, mostly unrelated to the issue at hand...No Surprise

All politicians should have to pass an intelligence test, a common sense test and an understanding the constitution test, as well !

" It ain't politically correct, just correct. "

Old 10-28-2018, 12:09 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
My parents are LEGAL immigrants of color and we DESPISE illegal aliens. I used to live in Maryland before returning to the Deep South and it was Martin O'Malley giving in-state tuition to illegal aliens while raising countless taxes that got me politically engaged. I continue to be a Republican, conservative activist today back in Louisiana though I don't feel any of the political anger here since most of my fellow Southerners except for some in the black community who are engaged in racial politics tend to be conservative.

So glad that Louisiana has Voter ID laws and that illegals don't qualify for tuition assistance here and they shouldn't. Louisiana was founded by diverse groups including the Cajun French, Irish, Italians and Germans who all came LEGALLY. Nobody here denies that we are descended from immigrants, but ILLEGAL immigration is widely despised by everyone around me, all my family members, all my friends and neighbors and people in church (who regularly pray for Border Patrol and ICE agents and for President Trump).

I have friends of Mexican descent and friends who are legal African immigrants who are Trump supporters and feel the same as I do. No, we don't care about the tear jerking images played up by liberal media following the caravan, because our sympathy and empathy goes to AMERICAN citizens FIRST, something the liberals will NEVER understand. My concern and sympahty goes to the Americans who will lose jobs once this illegal horde comes, the Americans who will be victims of crime, and the US taxpayers who will be footing the public assistance bill for them.

I am a proud, American and Southern born patriot. My parents were not born here but are LEGAL immigrants and our first loyalty is to the United States, not to any foreign nation or to our own racial group but to America as a whole. There are many white liberals who are globalists who put foreign nationals like the caravan and foreign interests before America like when they support trade agreements to redistribute American wealth to the Third World.

I am NOT an world citizen. I am an American citizen.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:24 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
My daughter's best friend married a guy from Canada. I think they paid $8000 for him to obtain his permanent resident card.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:07 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Illegal aliens probably look down on people like my parents who came to America legally. They laugh at them for waiting in line, getting the right documents and paying taxes and fees while they can just come barge through the border in a caravan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration