Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 12:25 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have no problem ending birthright citizenship. Having said this:

Trump said the “US is the only country that grants birthright citizenship”. He’s either lying or misinformed.

Trump said “they said I can do it just with an EO”.

Who is “ they”?
Two points:
1) Most countries do not grant "birthright citizenship." I don't know of any that do, but there was a long list posted of those who don't.

2) Some of Trump's advisers have said he can. Not all agree, however. Others have said he can, but it would be smarter to work through Congress. Apparently there was an E.O. in 1960 (I think) which granted "birthright citizenship." If that is the case, he could overturn it by E.O.

I'm still researching this. I don't know the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 12:53 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Non-starter. Would require a constitutional amendment, which requires overwhelming consensus.

No way to get that much consensus on such a measure in today's political climate.
Freedom of Speech, Freedom of the press, the Right to Bear arms all have limits that aren't specified in the Constitution. Why not this one?

Old 11-01-2018, 03:03 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Larry View Post
There have been several Chinese birthing houses exposed in the last few years, mostly in California. Pregnant Chinese women travel here in their 2nd trimester and stay until they have their babies.
There are probably women from most every nation that have done the same and it is something that must stop. It is a huge financial burden on our country and does not help us in any way.
Not to mention possibly dangerous if these children might be groomed to become Trojan horses in our government, helping to pass laws to tear down the US.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:06 PM

66 posts, read 50,721 times
we live in different times some laws need to be adjusted accordingly . I agree that he 14th amendment needs to be revised. ..along with another stupid tradition of changing clocks back and forth twice a year. Annoying as hell.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:45 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Trump’s blowing smoke out of his ass as usual. There’s no way in hell this will hold up in court. The 14th Amendment to the Constitution is very clear on this issue.

I think we can all agree that what started as a good idea is now being used and exploited by many and it is time to have another look at this amendment.

What is the difference between the 2nd and the 14th amendment?

Both are relatively clear but the 2nd is always under attack so why should the 14th be settled law?

Old 11-08-2018, 03:54 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think we can all agree that what started as a good idea is now being used and exploited by many and it is time to have another look at this amendment.

What is the difference between the 2nd and the 14th amendment?

Both are relatively clear but the 2nd is always under attack so why should the 14th be settled law?
Who is questioning the 2nd Anendment? Nobody is questioning anyone's right to bear arms as part of a well-regulated militia.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:55 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Two points:
1) Most countries do not grant "birthright citizenship." I don't know of any that do, but there was a long list posted of those who don't.

2) Some of Trump's advisers have said he can. Not all agree, however. Others have said he can, but it would be smarter to work through Congress. Apparently there was an E.O. in 1960 (I think) which granted "birthright citizenship." If that is the case, he could overturn it by E.O.

I'm still researching this. I don't know the answer.
About 30 countries do.

The danger behind ending birthright, lies here:
Two people are in the country illegally; they have a child, also here illegally; that child marries another illegal and has yet another illegal. And there is no pathway to citizenship for anyone involved.
So over time - and this happens in some Middle Eastern counties - you end up with a large, stateless population. They are not citizens of the US and have never been anywhere else; they belong to no country.

So ending birthright should be done carefully.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Freedom of Speech, Freedom of the press, the Right to Bear arms all have limits that aren't specified in the Constitution. Why not this one?
Good point. Limits for the 1st and 2nd amendment, and every other amendment but the 14th bestows unlimited rights.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:16 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
About 30 countries do.

Two people are in the country illegally; they have a child, also here illegally; that child marries another illegal and has yet another illegal. And there is no pathway to citizenship for anyone involved.
So over time - and this happens in some Middle Eastern counties - you end up with a large, stateless population. They are not citizens of the US and have never been anywhere else; they belong to no country.

I don't believe in today's era and in America their citizenship of origin could not be traced back. But who cares if they are stateless? They should've left and went to their home country long ago. We have 20 million illegals even with birthright citizenship. Who cares if yanking birthright citizenship makes more of them illegal? We can't legalize any more people until they stop coming illegally.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:48 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
About 30 countries do.

That's not a "danger to ending birthright". Those are "obvious consequences of the globalist's subversively lax immigration controls and policies".

This problem is their problem and that of their base. It is not a problem of the large national contingent who has been fighting and voting against this for decades. It certainly isn't a reason to perpetuate the subversive system, politically penalizing those who have been fighting it.

You don't get to rob the candy store for decades and then claim that the robbery is crucial to keeping the system going and thus can't be ended.

I'm unsure what your solution will be, but it isn't going to be a perpetuation of the current system.

Remember, all modern political confrontation is a result of globalist policies. People are meant to live in the nation in which they are the majority. That's why we have nations, and we learned of their value after thousands of years of conflict and bloodshed in similar imperialist (non-nationalist) systems like we have today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration