Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2006, 12:28 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,103,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn06 View Post
Ok..I see you are trying to find ways to squeeze around and try to prove he was illegal. Well, first of all, how many US BORN CITIZENS do you know that don't have ID or permanent addresses? (you said there were "plenty of all races") And if he did have a suspended license he shouldn't of been driving, moreover, drinking under the influence.
Actually, there are lots of citizens without ID and permanent addresses. My ex-boyfriend didn't have either for some time, because of instability & family issues (long stories). And I'm sure you realize homeless people exist, and they typically don't have these things... btw, homeless doesn't necessarily mean they sleep on the streets, and many have access to automobiles. There are many others, I'm sure, but there's no way for me to produce a list or statistics on the spot! Anyway, the point is that you DIDN'T get verification of his illegal status, and were therefore assuming things. Finally, I did say that driving without a license was still wrong, and obviously so is DUI... but those have no relevance in a discussion about immigration policies.

Quote:
Not so fast. I didn't say hate. I said dislike.
Semantics, my dear. I don't think "disliking" an ethnic group is much better than "hating" them... do you??

Old 12-31-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Majic View Post
study about it a while,it will dawn on you sooner or later
Study about what, exactly? If you're talking about certain posts on this thread, no thanks... I don't get my knowledge from strangers on a public forum, LOL. If you're speaking about the subject of immigration, I'm quite sure I know more than the "average Joe" already. I am no expert, though, and I'm learning more every day... but I'm hardly an ignorant, sheltered, or un-educated person. Thanks for being concerned about me, though.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
First, you can know what they're thinking by asking them. As a teacher, I've asked tons of questions and had LOTS of discussion with all of my students including ESL students, 1st generation-Mexican-anchor-baby students, and native born students of Mexican heritage.

Here's some of what I've been hearing from my Hispanic students, both legal and illegal, during the past two years at a middle school in inner-city Houston:

1- I don't need to learn English miss, my cousin can get me a job.
2- You know Spanish, miss? (As an aside, when I ask kids in English to tuck in their shirts, they won't do it, but when I ask them to tuck in Spanish, they do).
3- Why can't I read no (sic) book in Spanish? (during English class no less)
4- Day of the Dead is more important than anything America got (sic).
5- Can we write the answers in Spanish? (asked during an essay test)

And last year, the disconcerting "White people suck!" shouted at teachers by groups of passing Hispanic students.
That's interesting, because I've taught ESL students as well (in California), and never heard anything like your examples... my kids were mostly very respectful, and tried extremely hard to improve their english skills. Not saying you're lying necessarily, but it goes to show why you shouldn't generalize an entire population. And I hate to say this, but it also could have something to do with the teacher's attitude...

Quote:
Secondly, the vast majority of illegal aliens ARE refusing to "blend". Just how many times have you been asked to "push one for English"? The second option isn't German, French or Ebonics; it's Spanish. (I wonder just how much money we've pissed away on providing Spanish translated materials alone.)
Call almost any business in Europe (and other continents/countries), and you will hear multiple language options... I'd love to see the look on an American tourist's face, if operators only spoke German! I've traveled all over the world, and never encountered people with this much animosity toward other languages. Why is it such a problem here? This might be another issue we need to question.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:55 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,699,209 times
Call almost any business in Europe (and other continents/countries), and you will hear multiple language options... I'd love to see the look on an American tourist's face, if operators only spoke German! I've traveled all over the world, and never encountered people with this much animosity toward other languages. Why is it such a problem here? This might be another issue we need to question.

I think it is an issue because we feel we are EXPECTED to speak spanish to have a job or talk to someone anymore. I have a friend from Germany andshe has told me they choose to learn english due to tourism, but it is not required in there jobs or everyday life. Many who transfer there and to France and other countries learn the native language to communicate, especially if they will be living there. I wouldnt expect them to speak english.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I think it is an issue because we feel we are EXPECTED to speak spanish to have a job or talk to someone anymore. I have a friend from Germany andshe has told me they choose to learn english due to tourism, but it is not required in there jobs or everyday life. Many who transfer there and to France and other countries learn the native language to communicate, especially if they will be living there. I wouldnt expect them to speak english.
I don't think Spanish is often required, unless you are specifically/only working with the Spanish-speaking population... even for my ESL teaching job, they said something like "bilingual desired, in Spanish or Tongan, but not necessary for hiring". In some professions and locations it's just common sense, if you'll be dealing with non-English speakers every day. We can't force them to learn English as they enter a store, so it's good business to have people who can communicate with them. Whether or not one considers that "right", it's a plain fact in many areas...

Old 12-31-2006, 01:33 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,699,209 times
Sad, maye if people just refused to speak spanish they would be more interested in assimulating and, not force us to accomidate (sp) them.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:34 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,476,622 times
[quote=;239976]
1- I don't need to learn English miss, my cousin can get me a job.
2- You know Spanish, miss? (As an aside, when I ask kids in English to tuck in their shirts, they won't do it, but when I ask them to tuck in Spanish, they do).
3- Why can't I read no (sic) book in Spanish? (during English class no less)
4- Day of the Dead is more important than anything America got (sic).
5- Can we write the answers in Spanish? (asked during an essay test)

Making assumptions based on five latino children, is a weak claim of evidence.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:36 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,476,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;239976
And last year, the disconcerting "White people suck!" shouted at teachers by groups of passing Hispanic students.
I remember the 'Keep Alabama White' posters, racism goes both ways.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I remember the 'Keep Alabama White' posters, racism goes both ways.
Amen. I guess we should "dislike" all white people based on the KKK & Aryan Nation, and all Catholics based on the pedophile priests, and black people because of OJ Simpson, and..... well you all get my point.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:13 AM

146 posts, read 572,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's interesting, because I've taught ESL students as well (in California), and never heard anything like your examples... my kids were mostly very respectful, and tried extremely hard to improve their english skills. Not saying you're lying necessarily, but it goes to show why you shouldn't generalize an entire population. And I hate to say this, but it also could have something to do with the teacher's attitude... .

A generalization is a statement that's true of a group of people WITH possible exceptions. For example, most Mexican illegal aliens speak Spanish. That's a generalization. Maybe some do speak French as well, but most, just speak Spanish. Just because a statement is a generalization doesn't make it false.

Most of my Mexican students care more about continuing to speak Spanish than becoming fluent in English. That's a generalization. Some may be interesting in UIL Ready Wrrting but most simply speak Spanish as a matter of course. A Generalizations are generally true. That's what a generealization is--a statement that's GENERALLY true. We use a multitude of generalizations on a daily basis.

Your experience w/ illegal Hispanic students was different, excellent. My experience is that a La Raza mentality is quickly corrupting the possibility of their assimilation. Teacher attitudes are pro-English. Teachers want their students to become active, productive citizens in a democratic society. English is our heritage and the glue that connects people in this country. You apparently think the prevalence of Spanish is acceptable. I find it wholly atrocious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration