Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support or oppose Illegal Immigrant rights?
No. Illegal is illegal period! 181 81.53%
Yes. They are human too. 37 16.67%
No opinion. 4 1.80%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The market.

Think of how much money you could SAVE if you shared your home with 9 other people, each paying only 10% of the expenses for rent and utilities.
Really I don't know why they don't just stay in Mexico where they already live like that. It's very common there for large families to each live in one bedroom and a living room and just share the kitchen and bathroom.

There are many people throughout the world that can adapt to the American lifestyle and who want to become American, are willing to learn our language -- why not just limit immigration to those people?

Anyone who cannot adapt to new ways should remain in their home country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 10:24 AM

472 posts, read 740,775 times
Illigal aliens have the right to return to their country of origin.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:31 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Really I don't know why they don't just stay in Mexico where they already live like that. It's very common there for large families to each live in one bedroom and a living room and just share the kitchen and bathroom.

There are many people throughout the world that can adapt to the American lifestyle and who want to become American, are willing to learn our language -- why not just limit immigration to those people?

Anyone who cannot adapt to new ways should remain in their home country.
The fact that we have explained why 10-25 people living in a SFR is outrageous and they still don't "get it" speaks volumes.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:18 AM

474 posts, read 601,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It depends on what is meant by rights.

I believe they have the right not to be murdered, robbed, raped, and so on. They should be returned to their homelands with some compassion such as the comfortable INS buses that are used (not like the transportation used to send them here). If they must be detained in a holding facility, there should be food and water and decent conditions.

When they arrive back in Mexico, Mexico should try to get them back to their home villages.
I agree with Malamute. Send them back. Start the process, the rest will get the idea and leave or at best stop coming here in the dead of night in vans and trucks, registering for our benefit programs, having more babies who are unemancipated minors and belong to the same country as the illegal lawbreaking mother.
I am a senior on a pension and as gas and fuel oil prices escalate, my pension shrinks. So I watch my pennies, shopping and buying the store brand of anything, look for clearance sales for clothes, and do less traveling and recreation.
Yesterday, I stopped at Shaw's Market ( a super market chain in the north east) I was behind an Ecuadorean couple. They had two children, one inside the market carriage and one in the stroller. The market carriages, two of them, were piled high with groceries and other items. All of us behind them, had a few carefully chosen store brand items. This couple placed five gallons of milk, four boxes of brand cereal, five cans of brand juice, bags of briquets (cook out) potatoes, and more, the kids were playing with a plastic bag of juice and popped it with juice flowing everywhere, one child had a bad cough and no visible effort to quell it in any way, and then it happened!
The mother asked her male partner to get her bag which was in the stroller, and out she took TWO W.I.C. cards( goverment freebies for milk, cheese, cereals, juice etc. and then she took out TWO Bay State Access Credit cards(welfare) and gave them to the wearied cashier. Wearied, because she checked every single item against the WIC list she had, checked off the items, and showed pointed to articles that were not covered by our freebie programs, they shook their heads and the articles were returned to shelves.UgH!
Believe, there was quiet anger on the faces of other shoppers, and after the couple left, we let loose. Wow! Doesn't the Congress get it about this illegal situation? Don't they understand why we are angry? We are stuggling to pay our taxes so these people can freeload? They are eating better than we who buy less and buy store brands. The cashier was an older woman, with arthritis, exasperated by this couple, the bagger was about thirty-five or so and leaned across the counter and said to me, " You can believe I aint voting for Obama." Everyone laughed and agreed. But the second story is even more bizarre. I stopped at T.J.Maxx to pick up a "shower gift." Again it took awhile because I wanted a gift that look presentable but was not too expensive. As I checked out, the cashier, a naturalized Asian American citizen, who works three jobs and we often swap "the illegal aliens." stories. He told me how the day before, an illegal couple, welfare credit card in hand, placed a 28 dollar piece of roast to be checked out by him. The sales sticker had a second three dollar sticker on top of the posted price. He questioned the illegal alien, who kept mumbling, sticker say "three dollars... you do." My friend said, No, I need to get the manager. My friend speaks four languages and could understand what the female was saying to him. " You got caught in the other store and now you are going to caught here." With that, the man burst out of line and ran out of the store. Now, that is not an isolated incident, my friend, the cashier said it happens every day. It is not enough they broke into this country, get free benefits, collect workmen's comp after taking our jobs, ruining our economy by cheap labor, free healthcare, education, they steal from us? Our community is saturated with them. Our chief assessor challenged on illegal alien homowner who was using his house as a church. He had a sign on his lawn declaring it a church. He had a ski mobile and boat and late model car in the back yard. When the assessor inspected his home, she asked him where the congregation sat. He motioned towards his dining room. She challenged him all the way to the appelate tax board and won. But it is the audacity of their hope, that is ignored. It invites more. What on earth do we need Congress for? They are not representing us. Send them home with the illlegals. Illegal aliens and the Congress are destroying America. It will take what is left of the greatest generation to straighten out. Let's go Seniors. Revolution anyone?

Last edited by Friendly blogger; 06-17-2008 at 08:35 AM..

Old 06-17-2008, 07:27 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Illegal is illegal period. We do not need any new laws, debate, etc. It is that simple. Enforce the laws on the books and secure the border for real. If you arrest an illegal-deport them-do not ask them to self deport. No freebies for illegals. Start interpreting the 14th amendment the right way-the way it was intended-to make sure that the children of slaves were allowed to be citizens after slavery was abolished instead of it being hijacked by illegal lawbreakers.

If the border were sealed and laws enforced, we would not need to debate this anymore.

Nicolem

Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Illegal is illegal period. We do not need any new laws, debate, etc. It is that simple. Enforce the laws on the books and secure the border for real. If you arrest an illegal-deport them-do not ask them to self deport. No freebies for illegals. Start interpreting the 14th amendment the right way-the way it was intended-to make sure that the children of slaves were allowed to be citizens after slavery was abolished instead of it being hijacked by illegal lawbreakers.

If the border were sealed and laws enforced, we would not need to debate this anymore.

Nicolem
Again, I agree. Enforce the laws we have or disband all the courts, you can't have a country where millions, illegal at that, are exempt from our laws get more benefits than Americans, suspend all laws, then we will all be equal. How on earth did we come up with the decision that illegals and detainees have more access to our benefits than legal citizens. Then what is the purpose of being a citizen? To register for Selective Service, to pay taxes on the record? All males over 18 are required by Federal law to register, including the illegal males, and it angers me no end to see these healthy 18 year old illegals swaggering around town, jumping into their 2008 escalade Cadillacs, cash in hand, wic and welfare cards in hand while we struggle through a weak economy. These lawbreakers are not like our ancestors who were proud and felt privileged to work for a living, on the record, were proud to become Americans. How did we let this get this bad. Congress is like my Uncle used to say on the farm, Congress is about as useless as t-ts on a bull.
About the 14th amendment. It says ALL PERSONS...UNDER OUR JURISDICTION. I.E. PLEDGED ALLEGIANCE TO THE LAWS OF THIS LAND, LEGAL CITIZENS WHOSE SWORN ALLEGIANCE WILL INCLUDE DEFENDING IT AND ITS WAY OF LIFE. Therefore, these babies born to illegal citizens are unemancipated minors, belong to the mother, and the mother, who I am sure did not disclaim her mother country, belongs to that country. When my nephew was living with my brother in Italy, a civilian American on assignment to airbases, when my nephew turned eighteen, he was required under Italian law, to go to City Hall and to publicly claim his allegiance to the United States, otherwise he would have been drafted into the military under Italian Law.
What is wrong with our Supreme Court? DetainEes and illegals have been given more rights than we have? What about two bumper stickers.
1. GIVE LEGAL AMERICANS WHAT ILLEGALS GET?
2. WILL WORK FOR CASH BUT WITH ALL STATE AND FEDERAL BENEFITS AND UNEARNED CITIZENSHIP.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:55 AM

218 posts, read 437,860 times
Friendly Blogger:

with all due respect, what are you talking about? Illegals buying Cadillac Escalades with WIC and foodstamp benefits? "Swaggering" around town?

What town do you live in?

Look; I am against illegal immigration as much, if not more, than the next guy. But we really should try to constrain arguments to reality rather than demagogic fantasies like this.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Nicolem
Nicolem: Thanks for the comments. Look at the way New Hampshire is treated. If we in Massachusetts venture across your border to make purchases, we are censured and fined. If your special children come here for residential treatment, the bill is sent to New Hampshire schools. Shouldn't we be doing the same with Mexico, Venuzuela and Ecquador? Send them the bill for the poor they are happy to export? Do you think we should explain to these countries, we meant exchange of products. It is no fun to go shopping now, they are everwhere, with cash in hand, because they have no responsibilities for taxes.
One illegal told me his friend escaped court action for traffic tickets by simply changing his name any day in the week, because he is undocumented, so no papers, means he can be anybody he wants to be any day of the week.
Why bother to seach us at airports et cetera? The back door to our country is wide open and so is our treasury. What happend to stories like THE TROJAN HORSE? Aren't they taught anymore?

Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
Friendly Blogger:

with all due respect, what are you talking about? Illegals buying Cadillac Escalades with WIC and foodstamp benefits? "Swaggering" around town?

What town do you live in?

Look; I am against illegal immigration as much, if not more, than the next guy. But we really should try to constrain arguments to reality rather than demagogic fantasies like this.
This is not "demagogic" fantasy as you would call it-it is true. I have witnessed more than my share of this in New Jersey and Florida. I know through conversations with people from around this country that many many illegals do in fact work the system. Driving huge expensive pick ups and Escalaldes while getting food stamps, Wic, etc. Not to mention friends in So Cali who when food banks and churches hand out boxes of food-many of the cars driven by illegals are brand new mini vans, trucks, etc.

Nicolem

Old 06-17-2008, 09:36 AM

218 posts, read 437,860 times
Quote:
This is not "demagogic" fantasy as you would call it-it is true. I have witnessed more than my share of this in New Jersey and Florida. I know through conversations with people from around this country that many many illegals do in fact work the system. Driving huge expensive pick ups and Escalaldes while getting food stamps, Wic, etc. Not to mention friends in So Cali who when food banks and churches hand out boxes of food-many of the cars driven by illegals are brand new mini vans, trucks, etc.

Nicolem

Nicolem -

I live in New Jersey now, and came here from California. My experiences are not "through conversations with people."

That is beside the point.

The point is, in order to have a real discussion on illegal immigration, reaching back to hackneyed "I saw an illegal picking up food from a church giveaway in a new Cadillac" stories, which are at best anecdotal. Do you know that the car belonged to the driver (e.g., many pickup trucks belong to the guy who *hired* the worker, not the worker himself)? Do you know that the person at the handout was even an immigrant, let alone an illegal one? Not all hispanic people are illegal and/or immigrants.

I have no doubt that there are many, many illegals "game the system." And I want them out of the US.

But let's have some data and hard facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration