Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:16 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,027 times

Advertisements

I have to tell you guys something that might explain immigration problems, and why some high ranking politicians do not think illegal immigrants are a problem.

I listened to a Representative from Vermont who was COMPARING the problems with the Canadian border with the Mexican border. He says "they are so nice, they speak english, they respect our laws, they are great visitors." And then he says "illegal immigrants are great, look at the Canadians who come and visit us, respect our laws, and contribute to our economy. Many of us have great friends who live in Canada." What is he on, crack? How in the hell can the Canadian border be compared with the Mexican border? If I lived next to the Canadian border, I would probably have a favorable view of immigration, but I dont, I live near the craphole border we call Mexico. I really think the two borders should be dealt with seperately because these lawmakers are comparing day and night. I dont think Canada needs an extensive boarder like Mexico because that border causes few problems. What do you think, should they be evaluated seperately, and do you think lawmakers that live by the Canadian border are influenced positively by immigration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 09:26 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I have to tell you guys something that might explain immigration problems, and why some high ranking politicians do not think illegal immigrants are a problem.

I listened to a Representative from Vermont who was COMPARING the problems with the Canadian border with the Mexican border. He says "they are so nice, they speak english, they respect our laws, they are great visitors." And then he says "illegal immigrants are great, look at the Canadians who come and visit us, respect our laws, and contribute to our economy. Many of us have great friends who live in Canada." What is he on, crack? How in the hell can the Canadian border be compared with the Mexican border? If I lived next to the Canadian border, I would probably have a favorable view of immigration, but I dont, I live near the craphole border we call Mexico. I really think the two borders should be dealt with seperately because these lawmakers are comparing day and night. I dont think Canada needs an extensive boarder like Mexico because that border causes few problems. What do you think, should they be evaluated seperately, and do you think lawmakers that live by the Canadian border are influenced positively by immigration?
I have friends that live in Canada, it would be nice to be able to go there for medical care.
I don't know which Mexican border you live by, but I like Nogales. I did not like some of the others. I hear that Canada's border is pretty well wide open.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:02 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,027 times
I am making a point that lawmakers are saying that the Canada border and Mexico border are the same (the northerner politicians) and that is just not true. They are so different.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:36 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post

I disagree with the part that they don't need an extensive border. I worry more about terrorists going through there.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
The "terrorism" aspect of both borders is no doubt similar. In fact, the Canadian border may be a bit MORE 'dangerous' in this aspect, in view of Canada's extensive ties with the world community, it's liberal 'sanctuary' laws, and its diverse immigrant population.
However, that's not what we're talking about, mostly, and most of us realize that.
The OVERWHELMING majority of illegal immigrants aren't terrorists looking to 'blow us up'...nor will such folks ever be stopped by fences. The overwhelming majority are people in difficult economic straits, seeking a better income than they had at home.

Canada is a wealthy "First World" economy. There is very little incentive for huge masses of poor Canadians to "risk" sneaking into the US for "a better life"....(it probably wouldn't be 'better, even in they DID get through).
Mexico is a much less affluent nation. More importantly than THIS, however, is that Mexican society is hugely unfair...so that the affluence they DO have, never reaches down to the 'little guy'. Mexico "could" easily be a reasonably prosperous society, but because it's not 'fair", its wealth is concentrated in a few hands.

In addition to THIS, Mexico has VERY little incentive to "control" illegal immigration...why ON EARTH would it WANT to? Illegal "emigrants" to the US provide a HUGE part of Mexico's income...AND the open US border provides a ready-made 'relief valve' for any 'festering' social problems...."Angry? Mad? Feel you're being mistreated, and getting 'fed up'? Don't REVOLT...just 'head north'."

Why would ANYONE in the Mexican government, (OR in the US business community) want to disrupt this 'cozy' arrangement?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:00 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
And; to run with macmeal's ball a bit further, the country of Spain was a pariah from the 1930's till 1975 (when Franco died) due to its support for Hitler during WW II.

Then; something 'magical' occurred in Spain.........it is now a solid First World country with a socio-economic system much like Sweden and, Spain was rewarded with the Euro and the Schengen Agreement which were the (legal) keys to unrestricted access to the rest of the EU

OTOH: New World Hispanics are not liked all that much in Spain due in part to racism yet, the Spaniards love Italian and Romanians---------the latter two groups assimilate quite nicely into Spanish culture.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:48 AM

334 posts, read 827,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I have friends that live in Canada, it would be nice to be able to go there for medical care.
I don't know which Mexican border you live by, but I like Nogales. I did not like some of the others. I hear that Canada's border is pretty well wide open.
Not the French part of the border, especially if you only speak English! Them rude hijos de perra . . . .

Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Default Spaniards vs. Mexicans

Arizona Bear is so right. Spaniards do not want to be grouped in with the hispanics (mostly Indian descent) here in Mexico. You should have seen the look one of the ladies here at the bank gave me when I asked her where she was from after noticing her accent and her last name. I thought she might have been some high-class Mexican (we have a lot of those in financial services here in Chicago) or possibly from South America but she was very clear that she was from Barcelona, Spain. Spaniards and South Americans make it very clear they are not Mexican.

The few Argentinians (all business owners) I have met are whiter than I am with German and Italian names and my family came from Germany/British Isles in the 1600-1800s. I don't even know how they qualify as minority-owned businesses and call themselves hispanic. But money is money and if the government will award them contracts just because they are from Latin America why not take them up on it. What a joke.

She looks just like my friend from Mexico City, who has less of an accent than her and they both have been here 8 years.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post

The few Argentinians (all business owners) I have met are whiter than I am with German and Italian names and my family came from Germany/British Isles in the 1600-1800s. I don't even know how they qualify as minority-owned businesses and call themselves hispanic. But money is money and if the government will award them contracts just because they are from Latin America why not take them up on it. What a joke.

Some years ago, we had to hire a babysitter for a few months to cover the 'early morning' hours. (we had un-planned triple adoption). The lady who showed up (from the mainly all-Hispanic 'agency') was a white Argentinian. She spoke virtually NO English, but I got by (having spent time in Argentina myself).

There was a noticeable "chill" between the lady and my wife, a "native California" Indian. It was pretty plain to ME that the lady wasn't used to 'taking orders' from "Indian-looking" folks, particularly those whose first language was English. We got along REASONABLY well, but I spent much of the time 'running interference', translating, and 'keeping them apart'.

(Side story..one day the lady showd up late for work...explained that the 'cops' had pulled her over, and got 'huffy' with her when she was unable to communicate in English. Because of her APPEARANCE, they thought she was 'conning' them, until the Spanish-speaking deputy "clued them in"... )

Old 05-11-2008, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 10,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Arizona Bear is so right. Spaniards do not want to be grouped in with the hispanics (mostly Indian descent) here in Mexico. You should have seen the look one of the ladies here at the bank gave me when I asked her where she was from after noticing her accent and her last name. I thought she might have been some high-class Mexican (we have a lot of those in financial services here in Chicago) or possibly from South America but she was very clear that she was from Barcelona, Spain. Spaniards and South Americans make it very clear they are not Mexican.

She looks just like my friend from Mexico City, who has less of an accent than her and they both have been here 8 years.
dey don't want to b grouped with mexicans or latinos. How can they not be grouped with them when the word Hispanic comes from spain. I mean Hispanics are people from the Americas and Eroupe who speak Spanish (most of the time), Portugese. And they don't want to be called hispanics what a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration