Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 01:20 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Interesting how liberals like to talk about how illegal immigration is significantly down since 2008 as if it has no correlation with the Secure Fence Act of 2006. We have strong fences not walls, and where they exist they have cut down illegal immigration sharply.

I'd really like to know why you and others think they know more about whether a wall would work or not than 90% of the border patrol agents whose full time job is to enforce border control. As long as the vast majority of those actually manning the border say a wall would be an effective tool, liberals claims that it won't work ring hollow and will be ignored.
Illegal immigration peaked around 2007 and has been in decline since but I do give Trump credit for being more aggressive. Yes walls have worked to a certain extent in income locations but they will never come close to having a significant impact, if these people march around the existing wall willing to travel thousands of miles why would anyone think a few hundred more miles would be meaningful.

Many areas in private hands and parks, the government has at this point built what they can on their property.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:18 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Illegal immigration peaked around 2007 and has been in decline since but I do give Trump credit for being more aggressive. Yes walls have worked to a certain extent in income locations but they will never come close to having a significant impact, if these people march around the existing wall willing to travel thousands of miles why would anyone think a few hundred more miles would be meaningful.

Many areas in private hands and parks, the government has at this point built what they can on their property.

Then tell me why there are 5000 migrants in Tijuana camps and they haven't marched another couple hundred miles east to Arizona where the border "fence" is much less fortified?

Old 12-26-2018, 03:46 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
They'll never focus on employment verification because too many wealthy conservative business owners benefit immensely from cheap immigrant labor. They in turn give an enormous amount of money to the GOP to keep it that way. That's why I've always said that anything the Republicans propose as a solution is nothing more than smoke and mirrors meant only to appease their dying base. At least the Democrats are honest about why they want immigrants to stay.

Trying to sell the idea of a wall to the American people is meant only to keep the low information voter types distracted and looking away from any real solution. That way they can keep the status quo without looking like they're keeping the status quo. Trump and the GOP know this. The sane, level headed people in the rest of the country know this as well. The only ones who think a wall will stop the migration are the diehard Trumplings.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:20 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The Texas legislature refused to pass tough penalties for E-verify, no one would confuse them as left. But they did take on sanctuary cities, no why do you suppose they didn't take on businesses employing illegal immigrants.
I don't claim that the left would be the only ones to oppose serious measures against employing illegal labor. Business interests and the traditional Republican mainstream would also be against any real crackdown.

It seems obvious that policing people who are already living illegally in the country is more difficult, and requires more government intrusion, with more potential to violate citizen's rights. It's a better strategy all around to stop them at the border and a physical barrier is necessary to do that.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:23 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
If you're serious about illegal immigration reform, support the wall and employment verification.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:28 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Seriously, the wall is going to cost a ****-ton and it's not gonna be that effective.
You do know that Obama EO'd protections to employers of illegal aliens, right?

The left talk about border security.

They want wide open borders, which secures the future of the party at the expense of US citizens.

Insidious beasts the liars they are!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If you're serious about illegal immigration reform, support the wall and employment verification.
DAMN STRAIGHT!!!

Again, they are disingenuous liars who have no desire to have a secure border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
They'll never focus on employment verification because too many wealthy conservative business owners benefit immensely from cheap immigrant labor.
Implying there are no wealthy Democrats benefitting exactly the same?

Just how smart do you perceive yourself to be? I have some regrettable news for you.

WOW!

Last edited by Originalist; 12-26-2018 at 05:36 PM..

Old 12-26-2018, 05:42 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
They'll never focus on employment verification because too many wealthy conservative business owners benefit immensely from cheap immigrant labor. They in turn give an enormous amount of money to the GOP to keep it that way. That's why I've always said that anything the Republicans propose as a solution is nothing more than smoke and mirrors meant only to appease their dying base. At least the Democrats are honest about why they want immigrants to stay.

Trying to sell the idea of a wall to the American people is meant only to keep the low information voter types distracted and looking away from any real solution. That way they can keep the status quo without looking like they're keeping the status quo. Trump and the GOP know this. The sane, level headed people in the rest of the country know this as well. The only ones who think a wall will stop the migration are the diehard Trumplings.

You're badly mistaken it you think that Democrat business owners don't also hire illegal aliens.

LOl, the Democrats are honest about why they want illegal aliens to stay? Why did you use the plain ole word of "immigrant" to describe them? Illegal aliens aren't real immigrants. Tell us why the Democrats want illegal aliens to remain here in spite of the fact that they are here in violation of our immigration laws and have taken jobs, taxes and resources from Americans. I can think of at least one reason. To retain the votes of ethnocentric Hispanic citizens and to continue the flow of future Democrat voters.

The links I have provided proving that the good walls are very effective weren't written by Trump they were by those on the front line, duh. If most Americans are still be in denial after reading (although I think most are too stupid to research this issue themselves) the truth then they are just plain stupid and not level headed at all.

Trumplings? My how grown up of you.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:48 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
If there are no jobs for undocumented persons, you’ll get far fewer undocumented persons entering the country.

Congress has always known this. Cronyism is why they do nothing about it.

No such thing as an undocumented person they are illegal aliens. Sure, removing the job incentive
will help but we'd also have to deny their kids our birthright citizenship and benefits or they'd still come for that, thus the wall.

Not all illegals are coming for work either. Certainly criminals, terrorists and the drug cartels are looking for jobs, thus the wall!

We need to a total package to stop people from coming here illegally.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
They come here because there are jobs that will go unfilled without them.
I have no problem with them coming for those jobs. They should not be able to work without clearance and proper documentation.

Requiring proper documentation will cut down on illegal entry.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And those jobs would be filled if we payed a high enough wage. We just need to align our economic actions with our stated principles. It's simple.
I’m not sure we can expect all that at once.

We can, however, require documentation to work here legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration