Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 01:54 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Another strawman. I oppose the wall because (a) it wasn't a priority until recently; in fact, it took a back seat to tax cuts and repealing the ACA; (b) the proposal keeps shifting, because it's more of a pie-in-the-sky campaign issue than a plan of action; and (c) the cost estimates are all over the place and don't even include projected maintenance costs and eminent domain.

Again, no one is suggesting walls can't stop animals from getting out at the zoo. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to ask me whether I would write a blank check to the zoo to cover the costs of those walls. The answer is no.

The same principle applies to the border wall. I have no objection if all the landowners along the border want to join together in solidarity and erect walls on their property at their expense. I do object to throwing billions of government dollars at that wall, because it's simply not as big a priority to me.

You and other right-wing talking heads have not convinced me that this is a national emergency, or that putting up slats along select portions of the border will materially reduce drugs and crime.

You can ask them that. They might even answer you. But that doesn't address the size of the check that the government would have to write to provide just compensation under the law.

Another strawman. Pelosi and the Democrats are not opposed to "border security." They're opposed to your particular brand of border security, particularly given the uncertain costs. You have a bad habit of characterizing anyone who opposes the wall as an opponent of "border security." That's a logical fallacy, and it weakens your position considerably.

I admire your certitude about the need for a border wall. If strength of conviction were a substitute for reasoned argument, then you might win me over. Unfortunately, you rely on assumptions, generalizations, and analogies to prisons and zoos.

This is a whataboutism. I couldn't care less about what ill-advised things Pelosi or other politicians once did -- at least as it relates to this wall. If a politician voted for the ACA without reading it, then that's bad. That doesn't mean he/she should repeat the mistake.

By the same token, I wouldn't expect a Republican Congressman to blindly vote for some Democrat boondoggle just because he voted for the tax bill without knowing what was in it. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Your stance against beefing up security at the border part of which includes additions to the walls that are already there seems just as my firm as my agreement with our President that something needs to be done.

I would ask of you or if someone near to you has ever been a victim of a crime that was committed by an illegal alien?

I have and I have witnessed the effects of illegal immigrants on a community and I think that any reduction in their numbers is a benefit to us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 03:02 PM

5,110 posts, read 2,050,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Funny how walls work all around the world, except according to liberals it won't work on the US border.
I guess they would want the walls if the illegals immigrants voted republican?
https://twitter.com/Robert80414427/s...54466632802304

Old 01-28-2019, 03:47 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
Quote:
Another strawman. I oppose the wall because (a) it wasn't a priority until recently; in fact, it took a back seat to tax cuts and repealing the ACA; (b) the proposal keeps shifting, because it's more of a pie-in-the-sky campaign issue than a plan of action; and (c) the cost estimates are all over the place and don't even include projected maintenance costs and eminent domain.

Again, no one is suggesting walls can't stop animals from getting out at the zoo. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to ask me whether I would write a blank check to the zoo to cover the costs of those walls. The answer is no.

The same principle applies to the border wall. I have no objection if all the landowners along the border want to join together in solidarity and erect walls on their property at their expense. I do object to throwing billions of government dollars at that wall, because it's simply not as big a priority to me.

You and other right-wing talking heads have not convinced me that this is a national emergency, or that putting up slats along select portions of the border will materially reduce drugs and crime.

You can ask them that. They might even answer you. But that doesn't address the size of the check that the government would have to write to provide just compensation under the law.

Another strawman. Pelosi and the Democrats are not opposed to "border security." They're opposed to your particular brand of border security, particularly given the uncertain costs. You have a bad habit of characterizing anyone who opposes the wall as an opponent of "border security." That's a logical fallacy, and it weakens your position considerably.

I admire your certitude about the need for a border wall. If strength of conviction were a substitute for reasoned argument, then you might win me over. Unfortunately, you rely on assumptions, generalizations, and analogies to prisons and zoos.

This is a whataboutism. I couldn't care less about what ill-advised things Pelosi or other politicians once did -- at least as it relates to this wall. If a politician voted for the ACA without reading it, then that's bad. That doesn't mean he/she should repeat the mistake.

By the same token, I wouldn't expect a Republican Congressman to blindly vote for some Democrat boondoggle just because he voted for the tax bill without knowing what was in it. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Your name "partial observer" is very fitting. You are not looking at the big picture here.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:10 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Your stance against beefing up security at the border part of which includes additions to the walls that are already there seems just as my firm as my agreement with our President that something needs to be done.

I would ask of you or if someone near to you has ever been a victim of a crime that was committed by an illegal alien?

I have and I have witnessed the effects of illegal immigrants on a community and I think that any reduction in their numbers is a benefit to us all.
Just once. An illegal alien driving without a license or insurance hit my best friend's car in a parking lot and then drove off.

The wrinkle in this story is that my best friend was also an illegal alien at the time. But he wasn't one of those rape-happy "bad hombres." He had a college degree and overstayed his student visa by about six months because a family attorney gave him the wrong date. By the time he figured it out, he was facing deportation to his country of origin (where he had no family or contacts), and a mandatory three-year waiting period to re-apply for legal status.

He chose to stay here illegally, but applied for and obtained a taxpayer ID number and paid taxes on his under-the-table earnings. He's a citizen now, but was here illegally for years. He was not eligible for welfare benefits, nor did he receive them. He worked 60-70 hours per week, paid more in income taxes than Jared Kushner, and appreciated the benefits of living in America more than most of the entitled schmucks who are born here.

So my experience is a bad example if you're trying to make a point about the deleterious "effects of illegal immigrants on a community." I guess I don't spend enough time in Hyannis to do that kind of profiling.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:51 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Just once. An illegal alien driving without a license or insurance hit my best friend's car in a parking lot and then drove off.

The wrinkle in this story is that my best friend was also an illegal alien at the time. But he wasn't one of those rape-happy "bad hombres." He had a college degree and overstayed his student visa by about six months because a family attorney gave him the wrong date. By the time he figured it out, he was facing deportation to his country of origin (where he had no family or contacts), and a mandatory three-year waiting period to re-apply for legal status.

He chose to stay here illegally, but applied for and obtained a taxpayer ID number and paid taxes on his under-the-table earnings. He's a citizen now, but was here illegally for years. He was not eligible for welfare benefits, nor did he receive them. He worked 60-70 hours per week, paid more in income taxes than Jared Kushner, and appreciated the benefits of living in America more than most of the entitled schmucks who are born here.

So my experience is a bad example if you're trying to make a point about the deleterious "effects of illegal immigrants on a community." I guess I don't spend enough time in Hyannis to do that kind of profiling.
You lost me at "paid more in taxes than Jared Jushner." good grief, man, get a GRIP.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:04 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
You lost me at "paid more in taxes than Jared Jushner." good grief, man, get a GRIP.
No, I lost you at “my best friend was an illegal alien.†Everything after that was just window dressing.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:40 PM

8 posts, read 6,062 times
Athens had many Walls.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:41 PM

8 posts, read 6,062 times
Is Naturalization a Kind?

Old 01-29-2019, 04:17 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
The Wall is NOT a stupid Idea, and those who think so, obviously knows nothing about what is going on, and neither do they know that Clinton, Obama, Sanders and other dem politicians, publically commented that the wall is needed to control the influx of people coming into this country. The only reason they are wasting our money now, fighting it, is only for votes...right now people can just walk right into America....and I'm tired of people claiming that walls don't work, they do and its been proven they work. If walls didn't work other countries would have never built them. Idiot dem leaders, wasting billions of dollars for a shutdown, and yet, refuse the wall....every American who believes a wall wouldn't work, needs to travel down there and see what's going on....

The tax money they are wasting fighting over this wall is pathetic, robbing this country of it's money while they play political games, not to mention, putting so many border police officer's lives in danger, not to mention the safety of Americans.

Personally what I think is, that there are already people here in leader positions that are NOT legal Americans. And that is another reason why they are fighting it.

I saw videos of all these dems lobbying for the wall when they were running for public office....

admitting there was a grave need for it, and for illegal immigration reform.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:19 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Pelosi, Schumer and many other Democrats oppose border security that includes good physical barriers aka walls because they know that they are very effective in deterring illegal entry. Why don't they ask the Border Patrol what they want and need? Their opinions should be the only ones that count. The reason they don't is obvious.

As for the cost it is much cheaper than the over $100 billion a year that illegal immigration costs us and that's only the fiscal cost of it. Those who don't want a wall on their properties will regret it because they will have to deal with this problem all on their own as their properties will be used as a funnel for drugs and human trafficiting. Let's build the wall on the most porous areas of the border where it is feasible then.

Congress owes us to keep their promise of 2006 to build good physical barriers not flimsy fencing that do no good. The difference between the past and today is that we never had several caravans with thousands of people in them marching towards our border all at once as we do today. There are 12,000 more on the march right now. What's going to happen when they reach Mexico and they can no longer contain them and they start crashing our border by the thousands? Let's not wait for this national emergency to occur because it's going to happen and we'd better be prepared for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration