Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 04:34 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...pkg-nr-vpx.cnn

Here's a "Boots On The Ground" Boarder Patrol Sheriff in Texas who supports Trump that doesn't want or need the wall. He wan'ts the technology and more border patrol's.

Did you watch the video? Most of the border in that area consists of 300' cliffs on either side of the Rio Grande. The sheriff points out that only a small section of the county is accessible to the river and that can be monitored with manpower and tech. He also contradicts himself by saying illegal immigration is on the rise in his county but a wall isn't needed in that area.

Another point is that Terrell County is made up of a few small towns and few BP would want to live there due to it's isolation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 05:13 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Since this is a CNN article I was skeptical and I was right. After listening to the video what he is saying is that in some places a wall isn't feasible because of natural barriers. Well in those areas there is no plan to put a wall. Boots on the ground and technology are more appropriate in those areas. So it's kind of misleading because that doesn't mean he's against a wall/barrier on the places where it is feasible.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

^^^^^^^^

My apologies for not reading your post prior to posting an almost identical argument.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:51 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,599 times
Quote:
Since this is a CNN article I was skeptical and I was right. After listening to the video what he is saying is that in some places a wall isn't feasible because of natural barriers. Well in those areas there is no plan to put a wall. Boots on the ground and technology are more appropriate in those areas. So it's kind of misleading because that doesn't mean he's against a wall/barrier on the places where it is feasible.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work
He wants the technology that you said doesn't work.

Each area will need something different that's all my intent was in posting this. Directly from a Local Sheriff.

If we can stop them 100% they will still have the need to come and will use all the other ways. The human traffickers will love the wall and make a fortune. What are we supposed to do with the ones that are here.

Trump is all over the place and has no long term plan. He just goes bankrupt and leaves everyone else with the bill.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:25 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
^^^^^^^^

My apologies for not reading your post prior to posting an almost identical argument.

No apologies needed. We both saw how the video and article were misleading.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
He wants the technology that you said doesn't work.

Each area will need something different that's all my intent was in posting this. Directly from a Local Sheriff.

If we can stop them 100% they will still have the need to come and will use all the other ways. The human traffickers will love the wall and make a fortune. What are we supposed to do with the ones that are here.

Trump is all over the place and has no long term plan. He just goes bankrupt and leaves everyone else with the bill.
Here was the misleading part "Boarder Patrol Sheriff in Texas who supports Trump that doesn't want or need the wall. He wan'ts the technology and more border patrol's". It makes it appear that he doesn't want a wall anywhere.

All I am saying is that the technology that was used a few years back failed and it was scrapped. Only boots on the ground and an actual barrier will stop illegal entry. There needs to be a combination of both.

The point is that with a good physical barrier fewer will try and fewer will succeed. I'm not understanding what you mean by the human traffickers will love the wall and make a fortune from it.

This topic is about the wall to deter new illegal entrants not those already here. However, we can remove all of the incentives for them to remain here and many will self-deport or get caught and deported.

I'm not understanding your last paragraph either.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:49 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Here was the misleading part "Boarder Patrol Sheriff in Texas who supports Trump that doesn't want or need the wall. He wan'ts the technology and more border patrol's". It makes it appear that he doesn't want a wall anywhere.

All I am saying is that the technology that was used a few years back failed and it was scrapped. Only boots on the ground and an actual barrier will stop illegal entry. There needs to be a combination of both.

The point is that with a good physical barrier fewer will try and fewer will succeed. I'm not understanding what you mean by the human traffickers will love the wall and make a fortune from it.

This topic is about the wall to deter new illegal entrants not those already here. However, we can remove all of the incentives for them to remain here and many will self-deport or get caught and deported.

I'm not understanding your last paragraph either.
How about a link that show how technology on the border failed “a few years back.” I never heard a word about that.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
How about a link that show how technology on the border failed “a few years back.” I never heard a word about that.

Here ya go.

Boeing had built a complex system of sensors, radars and cameras mounted on towers that was supposed to lead border agents to the exact location of illegal crossers. But the system functioned inconsistently in the rough terrain along much of the border.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/15/u...s/15fence.html

Old 01-29-2019, 08:03 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,599 times
Quote:
Here ya go.

Boeing had built a complex system of sensors, radars and cameras mounted on towers that was supposed to lead border agents to the exact location of illegal crossers. But the system functioned inconsistently in the rough terrain along much of the border.

You mock CNN as Fake News and you post a NYT article from 2011.

Technology has come a long way since then.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:04 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Here ya go.

Can’t read it. Requires a subscription. Year 2011? Technology has come a long way since then—that’s 8 years ago. I threw away my computer from back then. Outdated.

Now there are drones, etc.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Can’t read it. Requires a subscription. Year 2011? Technology has come a long way since then—that’s 8 years ago. I threw away my computer from back then. Outdated.

Now there are drones, etc.

Odd, I clicked it on just fine. There may have been drones back then to. Perhaps you could provide a link now denoting how new technology would stop illegal entry. Still, a good physical barrier should be a part of the solution also. I also posted a link from Homeland Security about it. Did you read that one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration