Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 05:31 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,568,330 times

Advertisements

There is no crises at the border it is 99999999999% fake news

http://nowthisnews.com/videos/politi...-a-border-wall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 06:10 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
Trump buys 300 burgers and later states that it was 1000

Most expert estimates put Trumps net worth at about 3 1/2 billion. During the campaign he says a it's 10 billion.

and I could probably extrapolate more of the same from the Trump inauguration crowd size.

Anyway, someone check my math here.

Currently we have about 670 miles of fencing along the border so doesn't that pretty much cover the entire 2000 miles?

How does 670 miles cover 2,000 miles? There is no need for a wall along the entire border all that needs to be completed is the 700 miles already approved by congress back in 2006. It was to be for double barriers but congress changed it later to be for only fencing which was breachable. That needs to be corrected.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:21 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How does 670 miles cover 2,000 miles? There is no need for a wall along the entire border all that needs to be completed is the 700 miles already approved by congress back in 2006. It was to be for double barriers but congress changed it later to be for only fencing which was breachable. That needs to be corrected.
I think the poster is trying to say since Trump doesn't always know or say the the exact number of everything when talking generally or casually he must being "lying" about the about the length of the border fence.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:47 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,403,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
First off, any barrier can be defeated. Steel can be cut. Ladders can be erected etc. Spending $6B, probably $10B with typical cost overruns in government projects of taxpayer money that can be used for smarter immigration reform is just ridiculously stupid in my view.

Here is another idea..

streamline the asylum process to prevent abuse of the system - hire more judges, speed up credible fear hearings etc.

create a computerized system to monitor visa overstays...it is absolutely unbelievable how antiquated the current system is that is can't even proactively track overstays. Most illegals came on a plane not through the border.

everify! The system is already in place, mandate that it be used nationwide - Federal mandate.

fight to STOP this sanctuary city nonsense initiated by the Democrats.

The wall is a weak solution and it's not going to do much to solve the illegal immigration problem.

If the wall on our southern border wouldn't work I demand that the politicians and American elite tear down the walls around their homes that seem to keep out people that may invade their property.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:21 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,834,647 times
Build the wall! I think it should be apparent to liberals at this point that the majority of Americans support building the wall, more security on our borders and the removal of illegal immigrants. The fact that the government shutdown has now lasted a month and is the longest in history but yet people are just going about their business and not talking about it, shows they don't care that there is a partial government shutdown and don't care if it goes on for months if that is what it takes.

Another thing Trump should do is start going after the employers that are giving illegal immigrants jobs. I don't know what legal measures are available and don't have the time to look into it but there should be fines that could be levied against employers for each illegal immigrant they are working. Another way would be to go after the big home builders and fine them for each illegal found working on their job sites. I know the illegals actually work for subcontractors but if you sent the message out to the big home builders that they were going to be fined for illegals on their job sites, you would suddenly notice a quick result. It is a simple premise, if you take the jobs away, the illegals have no reason to be here and will have to go through the legal immigration process to be able to work here.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Build the wall! I think it should be apparent to liberals at this point that the majority of Americans support building the wall, more security on our borders and the removal of illegal immigrants. The fact that the government shutdown has now lasted a month and is the longest in history but yet people are just going about their business and not talking about it, shows they don't care that there is a partial government shutdown and don't care if it goes on for months if that is what it takes.

Another thing Trump should do is start going after the employers that are giving illegal immigrants jobs. I don't know what legal measures are available and don't have the time to look into it but there should be fines that could be levied against employers for each illegal immigrant they are working. Another way would be to go after the big home builders and fine them for each illegal found working on their job sites. I know the illegals actually work for subcontractors but if you sent the message out to the big home builders that they were going to be fined for illegals on their job sites, you would suddenly notice a quick result. It is a simple premise, if you take the jobs away, the illegals have no reason to be here and will have to go through the legal immigration process to be able to work here.

The Republicans tried to pass e-verify awhile back but it was voted down by the Democrats. Unless they get on board together with this it's not going to happen. However, Trump has it in his 2019 budget. Who knows what will happen this time around.

It's not only jobs that bring illegal aliens here. We need to end birthright citizenship and benefits for their kids but criminals, the drug cartels nor those from known terrorist countries aren't interested in either of those things, thus the wall.

Last edited by Oldglory; 01-18-2019 at 11:50 AM..

Old 01-18-2019, 04:58 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Build the wall! I think it should be apparent to liberals at this point that the majority of Americans support building the wall, more security on our borders and the removal of illegal immigrants.

Forty percent is only a majority in Trump terms.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
Forty percent is only a majority in Trump terms.
If more don't want the wall it's because they haven't informed themselves on this issue or they don't care because they are bleeding hearts with no brains, hire illegal aliens for profit or have ethnic ties to them. None of which are good reasons not to build the wall.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:20 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,021 times
Or they realize that a physical barrier is not an effective way of fixing the problem.

I find it laughable that a Trump supporter lectures others on educating themselves on issues, when their President has never bothered. He had rather make things up to back his viewpoint.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:10 PM

4,413 posts, read 5,144,454 times
Build a wall like the one in Isreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration