Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 12:12 PM

7,810 posts, read 6,388,633 times

Advertisements

Illegals break the law at a rate of 100 percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 06:47 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,654,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I didn't watch that whole thing, but I got to the part where Tucker started talking about federal prisoners and non-citizens. I'm aware of the statistics related to federal inmates, but even the very conservative anti-immigration group CIS admits that "Those convicted at the federal level are not necessarily representative of all criminal convictions in the United States." They also acknowledge that the study you are referring to "the commission's data does not distinguish legal status among non-citizens".

Here's the actual data draw your own conclusions. https://cis.org/sites/default/files/...-1%2810%29.pdf
The only category in which non citizens constituted a majority of the convictions was for immigration violations. There is another problem with the federal conviction data that I can't reconcile, if a noncitizen is serving time for an immigration violation and another crime, are they counted twice? If so, that would significantly impact the claim that noncitizens are over represented in federal prisons.
But the facts presented by Mr. Carlson state that non-citizens are vastly over-represented in the crime stats. So then, what percentage are illegals vs. people with visas whose visas were not out of status at the time they committed a crime? Is that what you want to know?

Old 01-23-2019, 07:09 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,411 times
Apart from the fact that Lott and his group have ties to Fox, which would call this into question, I just ran across something online terming Lott a fraud.

By the way, your title line is not supported by your text, as the title wrongly implies it's true across the board, and even the group apparently admits it's only for Arizona.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:10 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
But the facts presented by Mr. Carlson state that non-citizens are vastly over-represented in the crime stats. So then, what percentage are illegals vs. people with visas whose visas were not out of status at the time they committed a crime? Is that what you want to know?
As I already stated, the overrepresentation could be from double counting. They are counting convictions, one entry for each conviction. If you can find anything that clarifies that I'd love to see it.

Here's an example. John S. is convicted of an immigration violation, he is also convicted of kidnapping and drug possession. That means that John S would be listed 3 times and counted as 3 different people. You probably also have double counting among citizens but very few have immigration convictions so that should tell you right off that the non citizens are double and triple counted far more than citizens.

I am not sure how many of the non-citizens are illegals. Non-citizen means everyone with a green card, not just visa overstays. In the Alien Incarceration report of 2017, they claim that 90% of non-citizens are illegal, I can't argue that one way or another, I can't find any data to support or refute it.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:47 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Quote:
Carson's numbers represent Federal statistics which are only a small portion of US crime. And they likely have a quite different focus from state and local governments where the action is.

The accurate numbers are hard to come by as you have to do some kinds of statistical models as the needed statistic is not collected. But simple things like crime going down greatly during periods of great illegal alien entry would tend to suggest they do not drive up crime rates.

Last edited by lvmensch; 01-23-2019 at 08:36 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 07:51 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Illegals break the law at a rate of 100 percent.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Is the crime of "being in the country illegally" being counted in these statistics?

Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Is the crime of "being in the country illegally" being counted in these statistics?
Being in the country illegally is not and has never been a crime. Illegally entering the country can be a crime but the authorities often consider it a non criminal administrative offense that calls for deportation not criminal prosecution.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:52 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Being in the country illegally is not and has never been a crime. Illegally entering the country can be a crime but the authorities often consider it a non criminal administrative offense that calls for deportation not criminal prosecution.
No it's just how most of them live here that is a crime. ID theft/ fraud. Tax evasion/ fraud, driving without a license or insurance.
Yes role model citizens one and all.

Oh I almost forgot. Theft of services when they use our hospitals and don't pay for said service.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
No it's just how most of them live here that is a crime. ID theft/ fraud. Tax evasion/ fraud, driving without a license or insurance.
Yes role model citizens one and all.

Oh I almost forgot. Theft of services when they use our hospitals and don't pay for said service.
Undoubtedly some commit crimes particularly those they do to make a living. Some don't. The lady at Trump's place in Jersey said her documents were supplied by her employer.

And they may well be role models for citizenship in terms of violent and property crimes even if they work off the books. And working off the books is not necessarily illegal either and many illegal aliens pay their taxes on the bet that legalization or amnesty will occur and they want a clean record.

The illegal alien has no particularly claim to free use of the hospital. Many may qualify by being poor. But those that are not can be sued by a hospital just like anyone else.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:09 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
Quote:
Ok, but there's still a problem with his sample size. How many muders are even prosecuted in federal courts? I don't think it's more than 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration