Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:41 PM

334 posts, read 827,912 times

Advertisements

In whatever form it would take, if the US were able to get rid of "all" illegal immigrants, would that stop the criminal types from either staying in the US or crossing the border?

I suggest it would get rid of all the "honest illegals" but would leave behind those of a criminal persuasion. It will never be possible to close the border, and it is easy ? to get false documents that would get someone across the border "legally".

How do we get rid of the criminals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 01:43 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,419 times
If we get a good border fence, and we fine employers. That means there would be no work for them, they would probably end up going back to where they came from. Yet, I see flaws in this. What if they are from cambodia? Must be expensive to fly back. Would take take even MORE advantage of all the low-income resources?

Old 04-08-2008, 01:44 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
honest illegals - wha????

An illegal is a criminal. You asked, if the US were able to get rid of "all" illegal immigrants - ergo, if they were all gone, then they'd all be gone as in not here anymore.

Maybe I'm not understanding your point.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:47 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
A good place to start is to begin deporting any illegal immigrant who has been arrested.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:06 PM

334 posts, read 827,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
honest illegals - wha????

An illegal is a criminal. You asked, if the US were able to get rid of "all" illegal immigrants - ergo, if they were all gone, then they'd all be gone as in not here anymore.

Maybe I'm not understanding your point.
I'm suggesting there is a difference between an illegal whose only offense is coming to the US to work, and the ones who are here to join gangs, rob, rape, haul drugs, etc.

I think we CAN get rid of these workers who do not seek to commit crimes in the US, and the ones that are truly criminals, gang bangers, etc. will stay or if deported, return.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:29 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
I'm suggesting there is a difference between an illegal whose only offense is coming to the US to work, and the ones who are here to join gangs, rob, rape, haul drugs, etc.

I think we CAN get rid of these workers who do not seek to commit crimes in the US, and the ones that are truly criminals, gang bangers, etc. will stay or if deported, return.
They won't return if we deploy our troops to the border, and the rules of engagement are appropriate for defending against an armed invasion.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:44 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
A good place to start is to begin deporting any illegal immigrant who has been arrested.
Even this....as astoundingly "no brain" simple as it sounds...seems to provoke enormous controversy. This being the case, I see little hope for anything being done on LESS simple matters.

In other words, someone, someplace, in a powerful position, is saying, in effect, that "I KNOW he came here illegally....and I KNOW that means he has no legal right whatsoever to BE HERE....and I KNOW he then went on to commit one or more violent crimes...but GOSH..THAT doesn't mean he should be DEPORTED, does it?"....I rest my case. I can say no more.

Some years back, the City of Anaheim (CA), had an Immigation officer stationed more-or-less full time in their city jail...and he apparently had PLENTY to do. Yet, the whole time the position existed, there was CONSTANT complaining about the 'intimidating' and 'divisive' effects this would have on 'the community', and it's 'relationship with the police'....and the position was finally terminated under intense public pressure..

Personally, I can think of FEW concepts in 'the law" that are CLEARER, than the idea that anyone who has NO RIGHT TO BE HERE.....and then goes on to commit a violent crime....afterward, has EVEN LESS Right to be here..yet, somehow, apparently, it's 'just not that simple'.....so I guess I'll leave it to 'finer minds' to explain the reasoning...because I certainly can't.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:45 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
They won't return if we deploy our troops to the border, and the rules of engagement are appropriate for defending against an armed invasion.
You mean the same troops that are stretched so thin in the current wars that they don't even leave us a National Guard?

To the OP, you have a very good point, the wall itself may hinder some low-end criminals, but I highly doubt it would stop a terrorist group or drug cartel. These criminals would simply fly right over the thing.

Matter of fact I have a device that will defeat the Southern Border Wall:
http://www.sport-tiedje.co.uk/kettler/trampolin_detail.jpg (broken link)

Truth is Americans don't really care about crime that much, what they care about is their pocket books.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:56 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
[quote=Mach50;3395234] Matter of fact I have a device that will defeat the Southern Border Wall:
http://www.sport-tiedje.co.uk/kettler/trampolin_detail.jpg (broken link)

QUOTE] too funny!!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:56 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
You mean the same troops that are stretched so thin in the current wars that they don't even leave us a National Guard?
To the OP, you have a very good point, the wall itself may hinder some low-end criminals, but I highly doubt it would stop a terrorist or drug cartel. These criminals would simply fly right over the thing.
This is a sad truth. However, something must be done -- and soon. We have troops protecting the border between North and South Korea, and troops stationed in many other countries. We need them here to protect their own country, while they still have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration