Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,707,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Oh, but there is one thing. These Chicanos' parents were Mexican immigrants. Who was fighting for Mexican rights when the parents were at work? You do realize that, like Blacks, Mexicans were not allowed to do certain things? It didn't matter if you were an immigrant or a Chicano.
I think at some point (after being in America for 60+ years like these people) you loose most of your ethnic ties and just really become part of American culture. I mean, a bit of an extreme example, but the Europeans from pre-1800 that immigrated here have virtually no ties to Europe anymore because they have been in American culture for so long....I think this happens with hispanics too. At one point, you begin to speak english at home, you dont attain your hispanic traditions anymore, etc like Europeans (and even Africans who have been here for a long time). Its just a natural progression, and I think that these people are not really part of Mexico anymore as much as they are part of American society.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:41 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,137,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I think at some point (after being in America for 60+ years like these people) you loose most of your ethnic ties and just really become part of American culture. I mean, a bit of an extreme example, but the Europeans from pre-1800 that immigrated here have virtually no ties to Europe anymore because they have been in American culture for so long....I think this happens with hispanics too. At one point, you begin to speak english at home, you dont attain your hispanic traditions anymore, etc like Europeans (and even Africans who have been here for a long time). Its just a natural progression, and I think that these people are not really part of Mexico anymore as much as they are part of American society.
Of course it does. And they don't look Hispanic either.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:43 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Quote:
I actually know exactly what you are feeling. It makes you feel like total crap....in your own country by foreigners. Its awful.
It makes me feel terrible after going to TC williams HS (TC Williams put up one of the bigger resistances to desegreation in VA back in the 60's) and having my mom who was basically forced into joining the military b/c no one would give her a decent office job in Texarkana, TX due to her color. People of color rejecting people of color.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:08 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,971,381 times
I learned yesterday that white American fire fighters were fired or demoted this year from their supervisory jobs in Oregon because they don't speak Spanish. It was broadcast on a news channel in Oregon and is now going around the Internet. The state is fighting wild fires and are frantically hiring firemen. They hired Hispanic firemen who spoke only Spanish and then terminated or demoted the English-speaking only supervisors because they couldn't communicate with those firemen because it was a safety hazard. That makes zero sense to me. I would love to hear from others in Oregon about this. I am hoping those terminated/demoted firemen will get their jobs back after the wild fires are finished. Surely, if speaking Spanish is a requirement, they will give those long-term, loyal employees an opportunity to learn that language rather than throwing them out on the street.

My husband has patronized a well-known chain auto parts store near our home for 15 years. Within the past 60 days a new manager has come on board who is Hispanic. None of the employees my hubby has dealt with for years are there any more. He went last night and a Hispanic lady who barely spoke English helped him. This has happened every time he has gone to the store since the Hispanic manager replaced the long-term employees with Hispanic employees. She didn't understand automobiles, so trying to explain ignitions to her was a struggle. He had to spell the word "ignition" for her.

He was given the wrong part and when he returned it, the lady couldn't understand. She called the Manager over who pretended he didn't understand English so he wouldn't have to take the part back (my hubby has previously talked to him and knows he speaks English). My hubby obviously will find another store.

Clearly the manager can hire anyone he wants to and can fire anyone he wants to. If you are going to operate a store in America that you intend to have patronized by English and Spanish speaking customers though, shouldn't someone be able to speak English and provide correct parts other than the Manager? Is promoting/employing Hispanics that important that the Hispanic manager would replace the English speaking employees with little to no-English speaking employees who have little to no idea about the automobile parts industry? If this was an isolated incident we were experiencing here, we would just move on. This is the third store in our area we have seen do this.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:35 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,971,381 times
Just found a Drudge Report talking about this below that the law was actually passed in 2002 that supervisors needed to speak both English and Spanish,and they just enforced the law this year.

[quote=carolac;3487607]I learned yesterday that white American fire fighters were fired or demoted this year from their supervisory jobs in Oregon because they don't speak Spanish. It was broadcast on a news channel in Oregon and is now going around the Internet. The state is fighting wild fires and are frantically hiring firemen. They hired Hispanic firemen who spoke only Spanish and then terminated or demoted the English-speaking only supervisors because they couldn't communicate with those firemen because it was a safety hazard. That makes zero sense to me. I would love to hear from others in Oregon about this.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:54 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
I learned yesterday that white American fire fighters were fired or demoted this year from their supervisory jobs in Oregon because they don't speak Spanish. It was broadcast on a news channel in Oregon and is now going around the Internet. The state is fighting wild fires and are frantically hiring firemen. They hired Hispanic firemen who spoke only Spanish and then terminated or demoted the English-speaking only supervisors because they couldn't communicate with those firemen because it was a safety hazard. That makes zero sense to me. I would love to hear from others in Oregon about this. I am hoping those terminated/demoted firemen will get their jobs back after the wild fires are finished. Surely, if speaking Spanish is a requirement, they will give those long-term, loyal employees an opportunity to learn that language rather than throwing them out on the street.
America really needs to wake up. This story proves that not even public service jobs are safe from the Spainsh language movement.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:53 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,557,026 times
Quote:
I actually know exactly what you are feeling. It makes you feel like total crap....in your own country by foreigners. Its awful.
LOL. Funny. Where have I heard that? Oh yeah. Every day since 1492. Get used to it, bubba. Pretty soon, they will rename the country and call it their land and then erect a statue of liberty and invite the poor huddled masses...

Sorry, I just found ironic to hear a white man utter those words.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:54 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,235,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
America really needs to wake up. This story proves that not even public service jobs are safe from the Spainsh language movement.
More hysteria. The crews fighting fires in various parts of Oregon are over 80% Hispanic. Apparently the choice is use Hispanic crews or let it burn. These are pickup crews..not regular state employees.

As a safety measure one who runs a crew of more than 4 has to speak the majority language. No one got fired. Just don't get to run a crew if you can't talk to them.

One could of course hire english speaking crews. Just need the taxpayer to pony up the millions to have a mess of young men sit around on their hands waiting for a fire.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:06 AM

334 posts, read 828,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Gosh, my bathroom is so big, .... Now as for the bathroom, having been a steady customer to a lot of them I would venture that Mexicans do not spend a LOT of money on the FACILITIES. .... My humble dwelling is AMERICAN style. .... one line comments are meaningless and void of any commoncense in my humble limited opinion. Stefhen
+++This is in response to my pointing out that Steve has an elitist attitude towards his inferiors, he said his bathroom was bigger than mine, because I live in a Mexican built home. He lives about 10 miles south of me and has never been to my home, he just had to assert his superiority +++

Humble Steve? Love your neighbors Steve? Is this why you had servants do your shopping in DF Steve? And you complained about being served cold chicken at a KFC in Mexico city "because you couldn't speak a word of Spanish" -- as if the KFC employees do not know how to serve a HOT meal ... what did you do to **** them off Steve, was it that look down your nose from your lofty perch?

+++Friends, this is a good example of why some Americans have difficulty in Mexico.+++

Steve, Don't waste my time responding, and I'll ignore you and your stories.

Last edited by Dave Rosarito; 04-17-2008 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,933,849 times
Here is a solution if we do not as a county want to have a national language: A person should have the right to refuse to do business with or interact with anyone who does not speak their language. A teacher would not be required to deal with a student or their family that does not speak their language, a doctor, store clerk, police officer, bank teller etc. could turn anyone away that did not speak the same language. As far as the federal/state gov. every employee and official would have to speak every known language in order to gain employment.

That or set English as the national language and if a person wants to do business in the US, learn English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration