Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:18 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,704,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
My grandparents have been in the U.S for more than 20 years on and off. They can't speak English very well, but they can understand most of it. My grandma can beat anyone at bargaining-- whether it be in English or Spanish.
At least she speaks it, knows it, and made an attempt. But saying, "its not necessary because others can speak spanish" is just a lazy excuse. Sorry, but I have NO respect for anyone who refuses to learn english in any way because they feel that they can get by relying on others.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:19 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,684,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
You don't think it's a realistic expectation of someone to learn the native language of the place they plan on living in???? Are you kidding me?????? You going to move to France and not learn French????
No...I ain't going to France. Not even to visit.

But I do speak French. And Spanish. And a bit of German, Russian, and Japanese.

Just in case I ever need it.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:19 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,509,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Do you hear yourself!!??!!

"Its ok for my mom to live in this country and know no english because everyone around her knows spanish." SHE NEEDS TO LEARN ENGLISH, PERIOD. This is America, not Mexico.
No actually there is nothing saying that she needs to learn English to live here.
She doesn't refuse to learn it, she just hasn't really needed it to live or work, they own their own business and work their *****es off everyday.

I am just saying it is not necessary to live here and I don't see why it bothers you.

[moderator cut: off topic]

Last edited by madicarus2000; 04-11-2008 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-10-2008, 04:26 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,704,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
No actually there is nothing saying that she needs to learn English to live here.
She doesn't refuse to learn it, she just hasn't really needed it to live or work, they own their own business and work their *****es off everyday.

I am just saying it is not necessary to live here and I don't see why it bothers you.
Because this is America. Enough said. I dont care how hard she works, she needs to learn english whether she feels it practical or not. She shouldnt just leech of others her whole life to translate. Thats what illegals do.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Because this is America. Enough said. I dont care how hard she works, she needs to learn english whether she feels it practical or not. She shouldnt just leech of others her whole life to translate. Thats what illegals do.
And if this is really a MELTING POT...then we should be ALL learning all SORTS of languages, to be "inclusive".

Not that I even support legal immigration...they should all stay home, in my opinion.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,153,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilulissat View Post
I always think it is funny when people get so angry about other people not being able to speak english. First of all, why do you care so much?

Second of all, if you know anything about the human brain, you know that learning a second language is EXTREMELY difficult after a certain age. Remember taking spanish or german in high school, and not learning very much? Well, add 20 years and that makes it that much harder.

It isn't a realistic expectation, especially since an immigrant will be living with their own family, and speaking their native language at home. Historically speaking (, first generation immigrants in this country don't normally learn the language, it is their children who are raised here who are the ones who are the 'roots'
My father; who immigrated here from Hungary at age 21 speaking no English now is 100% fluent. Yes; the man has an accent but his grammar/syntax are impeccable.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My father; who immigrated here from Hungary at age 21 speaking no English now is 100% fluent. Yes; the man has an accent but his grammar/syntax are impeccable.
I just don't see what the big deal is? I goto Target here in Orange County, Ca or up in Sunnyvale and I hear many different languages.

Why do I care what they are saying? Doesn't bother me at all.

If we worked together I could understand it being difficult, but we don't.
None of you work with the hispanics you are talking about, do you?

Old 04-10-2008, 04:36 PM

I spoke to a German man today about his taxes. He has no U.S. income, but is required to pay U.S. taxes on his income from Germany. Worldwide income, is the rule. However, he does get to file a Form 1116, Foreign tax credit, for taxes paid abroad...and will probably effectively have no requirement to pay U.S. taxes...and no ability to receive that "economic stimulus".

He's got dual citizenship. I was able to read his forms, which were printed in German--because I made the effort to learn our "sister" language. Not because I HAD to, but to be more "inclusive", to be able to serve MORE customers.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:43 PM

83 posts, read 271,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I have. Many times. I just put it in my head that they are in the process of learning and try to not let it bother me.
Has it occurred to you that maybe they know basic English but are more comfortable speaking Spanish around others that speak the same language? Let me put it this way: if you know high school French, and then meet a fellow English-speaker in France, which language are you going to speak?

I live in NYC, and most immigrants know some English. I don't judge them based on the language they speak. As for the ones who don't know enough English to get by, that should be their choice, not the government's.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I spoke to a German man today about his taxes. He has no U.S. income, but is required to pay U.S. taxes on his income from Germany. Worldwide income, is the rule. However, he does get to file a Form 1116, Foreign tax credit, for taxes paid abroad...and will probably effectively have no requirement to pay U.S. taxes...and no ability to receive that "economic stimulus".

He's got dual citizenship. I was able to read his forms, which were printed in German--because I made the effort to learn our "sister" language. Not because I HAD to, but to be more "inclusive", to be able to serve MORE customers.
My mom knows Spanish and Portuguese fluently, my father knows English and Spanish. They work together and are able to cover the entire North and South American clients. They happen to live in America in a very Latin friendly part of South Florida, it works out just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.