Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:32 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
As usual, your observations appear to be clouded by your delussions, study after study show that hispanic kids even if born abroad and moved to US before 14 years of age, catch up within two years, but of course all the internet tourism that you've done makes you an expert in human societies, lol
Pot kettle black.

Keep grasping at your straws..........

Old 05-16-2008, 10:36 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,229,706 times
It irritates me more when a natural-born citizen doesn't know proper punctuation.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
It irritates me more when a natural-born citizen doesn't know proper punctuation.
Point well taken.

Remember in all fairness that not all Americans; whether native born or naturalized, are 'college material' either.

I have pulled a few grammar/syntax 'boners' myself when blogging

Old 05-18-2008, 01:37 AM

451 posts, read 311,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Point well taken.

Remember in all fairness that not all Americans; whether native born or naturalized, are 'college material' either.

I have pulled a few grammar/syntax 'boners' myself when blogging
shame on you mr bear

Old 05-18-2008, 02:01 AM

335 posts, read 1,029,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It is threads like this that demonstrate your xenophobia. There is no law or dirctive or even social custom that requires one to learn English or any other language.

When I was a beginning engineer I worked in an operartion in NYC where the standard language was, in fact, French. There were a number of reasons for it but you could also get by in English or Spanish. There was always someone around to translate when it got tough. Two of the staff members were Nobel Laureates by the way.

We often wander the strip with various relative visitors where the group consists of English Speakers, Spanish Speakers and some very competent bi-linguals. It is most interesting to hear a risque story told in two languages at once. On the strip one can do almost as well in Spanish as in English. The same set of people also work about the same in Puerto Vallarta where you can also get by quite nicely in English or Spanish.

I am particularly impressed with the ability of some of you to detect illegality by how the Spanish is spoken. Hey if you could learn to do that in English we could greatly simplify the court system.
Excellent post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Honestly the Hispanics who don't know English are ones who obviously don't need it to work or live their lives. Why does it bother you?

My mother still doesn't know English that well after 30 years in this country, she lives on a farm in South Florida with my Dad, she has no need to learn it really when almost everyone in South Florida can speak Spanish and she works on the farm.

Does it really bother you people just hearing spanish at the local store?

I also agree with Exedous, almost every hispanic I have met knows basic English to get around here.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Do you hear yourself!!??!!

"Its ok for my mom to live in this country and know no english because everyone around her knows spanish." SHE NEEDS TO LEARN ENGLISH, PERIOD. This is America, not Mexico.
It is a wonderful thing the United States...everyone is allowed an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Because this is America. Enough said. I dont care how hard she works, she needs to learn english whether she feels it practical or not. She shouldnt just leech of others her whole life to translate. Thats what illegals do.
How is it leeching? Is she dialing you direct for your help? So petty.

In an ideal world it would be wonderful if everyone learned to speak english for their benefit however many choose not to for different reasons, maybe they found it too difficult, maybe it is the factor they are holding down 2 to 3 jobs in order to feed their families and simply are too pooped at the end of the day.
As some of the posters stated they know the basic fundamentals and this should suffice. What is laughable is how this thread was basically GENERIC and I assumed that it pertained to everyone but I was foolish to think this, somehow it always go back to "Mexicans" which have been dubbed the term "illegal" as if they are the only ones that are here undocumented? In my community we have a large Croatian influence as well as Indian and vietnamese. When I visit there stores they do not understand what I am asking for, I cannot understand them, they speak loudly and speak on the phone when they are "ringing" me up in their Native language. They yell at each other in their native tongue and often times startle me.
But being who I am "tolerant and understanding" I realize that they have different social cues, cultural beliefs and they have every right to speak in their native tongue as long as they get me at some point I do not mind slowing down and repeating myself.
What never ceases to amaze me is how so many of us our so insensitive and at times ignorant to others? And how in our culture we fail to recognize that we as americans butcher our language on the daily with out slang.
But this is "okay" < See I just did it, I should have said "alright"

Old 05-18-2008, 10:50 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,946,925 times
We should all do PUNCUATION like the late "VICTOR BORGE". Steve

Old 05-18-2008, 11:56 AM

451 posts, read 311,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD70 View Post
Excellent post

Agreed

It is a wonderful thing the United States...everyone is allowed an opinion.

How is it leeching? Is she dialing you direct for your help? So petty.

In an ideal world it would be wonderful if everyone learned to speak english for their benefit however many choose not to for different reasons, maybe they found it too difficult, maybe it is the factor they are holding down 2 to 3 jobs in order to feed their families and simply are too pooped at the end of the day.
As some of the posters stated they know the basic fundamentals and this should suffice. What is laughable is how this thread was basically GENERIC and I assumed that it pertained to everyone but I was foolish to think this, somehow it always go back to "Mexicans" which have been dubbed the term "illegal" as if they are the only ones that are here undocumented? In my community we have a large Croatian influence as well as Indian and vietnamese. When I visit there stores they do not understand what I am asking for, I cannot understand them, they speak loudly and speak on the phone when they are "ringing" me up in their Native language. They yell at each other in their native tongue and often times startle me.
But being who I am "tolerant and understanding" I realize that they have different social cues, cultural beliefs and they have every right to speak in their native tongue as long as they get me at some point I do not mind slowing down and repeating myself.
What never ceases to amaze me is how so many of us our so insensitive and at times ignorant to others? And how in our culture we fail to recognize that we as americans butcher our language on the daily with out slang.
But this is "okay" < See I just did it, I should have said "alright"
Freedom of speech, includes any language, it does not bother me that people
know other languages

Old 05-18-2008, 12:54 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,567,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Freedom of speech, includes any language, it does not bother me that people
know other languages
I envy your ability to cope. Personally, I can't STAND to hear foreign languages. I frequently drive long distances to shop in Riverside, Long Beach, or Orange, because to me, thos places have "sensible" names. I absolutely REFUSE to spend my money in places like Los Angeles, Santa Ana, or Rancho Santa Margarita...none of the "foreign" stuff for ME, thank you.

As far as "Santa Fe Springs" goes....or "Mission Viejo"? On these places, I have mixed feelings. Some days I'll go there..other times, I won't.

And don't even get me STARTED about Nevada, Colorado, or Tallahassee...YUCK !!

Beyond all THAT, barinnas, I must admit to you that I have a problem with ALL foreign things, and ideas. For example, I rarely eat Belgian Waffles, or French Fries, or English Muffins. I don't think we need all that foreign food in America, and I don't think it's very patriotic, either. And while I must admit that I DO have a strong appreciation for Mexican cuisine, I always feel guilty when eating it, because that means I approve of illegal immigrants...which, of course, I don't.

You are lucky not to have the 'hangups" that I have....

Last edited by macmeal; 05-18-2008 at 01:26 PM..

Old 05-18-2008, 02:21 PM

162 posts, read 326,455 times
hmmmm... sounds kind of crazy to pretend an "all American" enviroment since America was buit by immigrants and its "foreign" heritage have spread all over the country. It doesn't irritate me when people speak a foreign language around me, it sparks my interest in learning something new. English has been the official language and must stay that way. If you were born somewhere else and you choose to live LEGALLY in America, then you need to learn English, period. If you speak another language, thats awesome, is part of our diversity.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
hmmmm... sounds kind of crazy to pretend an "all American" enviroment since America was buit by immigrants and its "foreign" heritage have spread all over the country. It doesn't irritate me when people speak a foreign language around me, it sparks my interest in learning something new. English has been the official language and must stay that way. If you were born somewhere else and you choose to live LEGALLY in America, then you need to learn English, period. If you speak another language, thats awesome, is part of our diversity.
Legal immigrants like you I have no problem with------you, Catagamo, are the type of people that the USA needs.

I may disagree with you on certain points; but, I still respect your opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration