Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:27 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,650,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPrescott View Post
Sounds like a bit of the old all-American narrow minded bigotry you've got there. If being American is denying your racial and cultural heritage, count me out.
I'm surprised you are even posting here......theres a good chance you just may be talking with (gasp!) a person of a different race then you! Maybe even religioin!!

America is a melting pot. America is the land of opportunity for any and all who care to work hard and assimilate.

One last thought to ponder on this Memorial Day ---- how many service men died for your inherent rights as an American citizen? How many of those were of different races then you? I don't know who you are mister but you ought to be on your knees today that there were those braver then you fighting for you and ultimately dying for you.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Quote:
Sounds like a bit of the old all-American narrow minded bigotry you've got there. If being American is denying your racial and cultural heritage, count me out.
I think American is pretty much letting go of the old ways, and about jumping into the melting pot. Originally there were various European groups that came and for a while lived like they did back home in their own little enclaves but they began quickly to let go of all that. The descendents of black slaves were sometimes denied being able to jump into the melting pot but they worked for integration, maybe are still working for that.

Living like separate tribes or in separate ethnic enclaves isn't really American and certainly isn't having much of a wide view at all. Being hung up on your racial ancestry or your particular ethnicty doesn't seem like a positive thing to me.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:25 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,578,536 times
Quote:
It's absolutely critical to our survival that Mexicans do NOT learn English. Racial survival (avoiding genocide) depends on ethnic and cultural separatism.

By far the biggest disaster in all of humanity is race mixing. We can survive catastrophic wars. We can survive tyrannical governments and religions. We can not survive race mixing.
Are things a little slow at the Storm? If so, why not visit a KKK site where you can revel in your bigotry. I hate to burst your bubble, but there won’t be any racially “segregated” sections in hell either. You are beyond pathetic. Poof!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:32 AM

743 posts, read 2,070,522 times
Stormfront is heavily moderated to the same degree as is here. All posts have to be approved before being posted. I hear they are also banning use of swastikas for user profiles.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,578,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
Stormfront is heavily moderated to the same degree as is here. All posts have to be approved before being posted. I hear they are also banning use of swastikas for user profiles.
That's very interesting, because I have never seen the "N" word or c@%n used so freely. Perhaps this is a new policy. I could only stomach one visit.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That's very interesting, because I have never seen the "N" word or c@%n used so freely. Perhaps this is a new policy. I could only stomach one visit.
And the irony was that I know a few 'Coons' in the Wash DC area---------all of whom were White.

Too about a year or so ago a White kid went on a rampage murdering a bunch of people: his name was Asa Coon.

OTOH: a neo Nazi skinhead was busted here in the Phx area---------name Dimitri Molakai Tash.

The real Aryan swastika toters today are People of Color----------East Indian Hindus.

Another irony was that the swastika was used on state of Arizona route numbering signs prior to WW II...........that symbol was in honor of the American Indians and it meant the 'four directions'.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
The Stormfront may be 'making its tent' a bit larger, shall we say, hence lowering its rhetoric.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:26 PM

983 posts, read 3,600,577 times
Default Bahasa Inggris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
I would like for you to find anywhere in the constitution, or anywhere in our nations laws, where it states that the national language of the United States is English? You won't find it, the US is one of few nations that doesn't have a national language. So, sorry to say but live with it. As a previous poster stated most immigrants, regardless of their homeland, don't fluently learn English, but it is their second generation that does. According to the MLA (Modern Language Association) 46,951,595 legal Americans do not speak English or 18% of the nation.
I didn't know that it's that high.

I find it too bad that we have communication barriers, but if someone doesn't speak English for one reason or another, there's nothing I can do about that.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:38 PM

983 posts, read 3,600,577 times
Question Oc

Hi!

I've been reading up to page seven and have read OC many times.

Would someone please excuse my poor English and tell me what OC means?
Thank you!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:41 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,755,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Hi!

I've been reading up to page seven and have read OC many times.

Would someone please excuse my poor English and tell me what OC means?
Thank you!
OC = Orange County, California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration